Total Members
    Most Online
    CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

44 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I had almost allowed myself to forget 1/19/19. Thanks.

I remember this one very vividly. I was in Youngstown for a wedding that day. THUMPING doesn't do it justice. The drive home was incredible. A foot of snow to grass in less than 60 miles. Wild. 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Hmm..thinking it might be time to throw up an advisory. Short term models all showing 3-4 pretty generally now.

Not sure they NWS is buying into the rapids. With their afternoon (1pm) discussion, they mention areas outside of the current advisories seeing less impacts. I would have thought that if they were going to change the advisories it would have been with the afternoon update. 

11 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Not sure they NWS is buying into the rapids. With their afternoon (1pm) discussion, they mention areas outside of the current advisories seeing less impacts. I would have thought that if they were going to change the advisories it would have been with the afternoon update. 

NWS does bust so maybe this busts high. The problem is its fast moving and little precip. If we get 3 I'd be happy. Although I have to drive tonight and never drove in the snow before. 

10 minutes ago, Ahoff said:

NWS here is super conservative.  They put WWA up rarely it seems.  Many times they should they don't.

I don’t know if I’d say conservative but they are SUPER slow to adjust forecasts IMO. The January of 2019 storm is an amazing example.

33 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

I don’t know if I’d say conservative but they are SUPER slow to adjust forecasts IMO. The January of 2019 storm is an amazing example.

They’re busy making sure their area forecast discussions are top-notch. Cut them a break.

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

They’re busy making sure their area forecast discussions are top-notch. Cut them a break.

I didn’t look today. They have more than 10 sentences focused on this event?

edit: just looked and very underwhelming. Only focused on southern areas, barely,  and didn’t talk about the metro area at all. 

6 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Honestly read ours, then read state college’s. The difference is honestly kind of pathetic.

I can remember when I was growing up always going directly to state college's AFD anytime a significant event was being modeled. Incredible how much more detailed and how much more it sounds like they generally enjoy the discussions. 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, dj3 said:

I can remember when I was growing up always going directly to state college's AFD anytime a significant event was being modeled. Incredible how much more detailed and how much more it sounds like they generally enjoy the discussions. 

Yeah, and same for Cleveland I think too. This also isn’t a short term thing..it’s been years like this.

I will cut some slack though as NWS Mets are often badly under paid.

3 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Yeah, and same for Cleveland I think too. This also isn’t a short term thing..it’s been years like this.

I will cut some slack though as NWS Mets are often badly under paid.

This. Would you be motivated on a NWS met’s salary to do the regular parts of your job AND write a several-paragraphs-long summary of your reasoning that (and I think I’m being generous with this estimate) like 5% of the population reads?

9 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

This. Would you be motivated on a NWS met’s salary to do the regular parts of your job AND write a several-paragraphs-long summary of your reasoning that (and I think I’m being generous with this estimate) like 5% of the population reads?

I would probably half as* the summer discussions and go all out for Dec-Mar ones because I am a snow :weenie:. :)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, KPITSnow said:

Also latest GFS gives 3-4 county wide…considering it had been most bearish for us with this I definitely think 2-4 and an advisory is where we should be right now.

They are still sticking to 1-3 inches across Allegheny county which would not meet criteria for an advisory (3 or more but less than warning criteria over 50% of the zone- in 12-36 hours). Based on that I can see why they don't have an advisory, whether or not that is what we get is another story. Everything I've seen has total qpf .15-.25 so its close even with ratios. I'm pretty confident most of us see at least 2-3. The best lift doesn't appear to be coinciding with the DGZ outside of a brief window so even though we have cold temperatures we won't see super high ratios.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Almost 2” on the cars.  I’d say it’s a success.  Still snowing too.

Yea, not bad so far. Snow line is out of Youngstown and moving east. Probably 2 more hours of this light stuff. The nice part is that because it is so cold, no compaction. Just dry and fluffy out there.