Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western PA/Pittsburgh Winter 2021/22 Discussion

meatwad

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

Back to weather.... 

I am getting in here late and am trying to sort through alot right now. The NWS Ice graphic changed dramatically in 6 hours. The afternoon update had .25 over most of AGC. The 6pm update down to less than a 10th?

What changed?

Realistically that’s what I was trying to figure out too before we got off on this tangent. The warm air hangs on longer but would think based on nearly every model, 1.1” of snow and 0.09” of ice seems like a lowball.

3 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

Realistically that’s what I was trying to figure out too before we got off on this tangent. The warm air hangs on longer but would think based on nearly every model, 1.1” of snow and 0.09” of ice seems like a lowball.

Yeah as of now its looking like we get a lot of rain and very little ice/snow. 

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

The interesting thing is in the forecasters discussion. They are mentioning that the change over to zr by "early-mid afternoon". This is the 9pm update and it seems to go against their graphics. 

Are we really lacking consistency in our own forecasting office?

Just now, MikeB_01 said:

The interesting thing is in the forecasters discussion. They are mentioning that the change over to zr by "early-mid afternoon". This is the 9pm update and it seems to go against their graphics. 

And they broad-brush us into the same warning with Clarion County and the like. And I’m not sure why the warning goes into effect at 4am either.

2 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Unless I'm missing something on the soundings there looks like there is zero evidence of any changeover until late evening at the earliest. 

3 minutes ago, MikeB_01 said:

Well look at the graphic, there's literally 50 - 100 miles between starting at 10am and starting at 10pm. So it the discussion was written relative to the NWS  office that's probably accurate.

Remember, regular rain is the only p-type we get in May, and June, and July, and August, and September, and 97% of April and October, and a majority of March and November. Would it kill us to see something interesting like copious amounts of ice or sleet tomorrow?

Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Well look at the graphic, there's literally 50 - 100 miles between starting at 10am and starting at 10pm. So it the discussion was written relative to the NWS  office that's probably accurate.

It looks like the progress of the cold just stops for hours once it reaches the outskirts of Allegheny county. 

1 minute ago, TimB84 said:

Remember, regular rain is the only p-type we get in May, and June, and July, and August, and September, and 97% of April and October, and a majority of March and November. Would it kill us to see something interesting like copious amounts of ice or sleet tomorrow?

Yeah it might literally kill people if we see ice so no thank you.

5 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

And they broad-brush us into the same warning with Clarion County and the like. And I’m not sure why the warning goes into effect at 4am either.

Yeah I don't get grouping it altogether when there will be such drastic differences across the warned area. Schools already closed by me for tomorrow but it will likely rain til 10pm. I get that with the ability to just go virtual it makes it easier to just call it now and avoid any surprises and err on the side of safety but seems a bit extreme.

4 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

But aren’t watches/warnings/advisories based on a significant portion of a county getting hit with warning level impacts and not just the western/northern edges?

10 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I'm sort of with you on this, there's 9 months of the year for plain rain essentially with some thunderstorms sprinkled in but otherwise not interesting weather. I track to see the extremes and the unusual partially, but totally get that ethical debate that gets brought up like with people rooing for a hurricane landfall.

• Like 2

gfs isn't backing down from extreme amounts of fzr. Close to .9 this run. That front is gonna be the difference between shutting down the city for the night and basically a non event. Time for sleep, I'll be curious to see the trends at 6z but usually once we start to see bad trends this close it never reverts.

8 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

No the majority of AGC had 7 or so inches. 

why do you guys blow up when I say this. If I think it was a bust let me.

Because it's not true.  The snow was substantial.  You didn't measure everywhere and I think you're forgetting it was windy so totals may have been measured too low.

7 hours ago, TimB84 said:

I mean it literally could.

Airport is already reporting mix at 33.  Ahead of schedule?

9 hours ago, KPITSnow said:

So happy the models teased us this afternoon only to pull back again at the last minute. 

Aaaaaand there it is that I called just hours earlier.

I'm thinking we end up with ice and 2-3" of snow, but expectations aren't high for today for me personally.

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

1 minute ago, KPITSnow said:

A bunch of reporting stations  in the north hills and western half of the county already at 32-33 degrees. Not really sure what to make of this. 

Yeah it definitely feels colder. To be honest the road temperature is what to really focus on atleast until the changeover.