Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Severe Weather Thread - New England

TalcottWx

1 hour ago, TauntonBlizzard2013 said:

I cackled at “sports car”. More like a 1999 Lexus.

The driver probably told them if they were going to put that stupidity on air, they had to say it was a sports car 

Lol. I thought the same thing about the “sports car”. Not only  that but the brakes must have been awful, it was like he drove slowly into it. 

4 minutes ago, Henry's Weather said:

dumb question: in elevated instability events, does the lightning also tend to stay more within the clouds?

That’s what elevated means……I think…..it sounds different too….more calm but definitely still loud….more long drawn out rumbling and very deep….shakes the house deep

Just now, ice1972 said:

That’s what elevated means……I think…..it sounds different too….more calm but definitely still loud….more long drawn out rumbling and very deep….shakes the house deep

thought it meant that the updrafts start above the surface, but idk really

1 minute ago, DotRat_Wx said:

I haven't heard of that being the case. I suspect it's the fact total lightning is visible at night. You see better. 

Elevated seems to correspond with no lightning returns on lightning apps…..only ground strikes register in those…..I could be totally wrong here

1 minute ago, DotRat_Wx said:

No, it means the trigger (cold pool, elevated mixing layer, cooling heights) is from above the surface layer. The instability is high above you. 

Ya….so the lightning stays elevated in the clouds and rumbles…..you lose the loud AF CG strikes in this case…..still love both the same

I suspect the reason why we see solid storms in the morning pre-dawn hours is often a strong indication things are unstable upstairs. Before big events there is almost always a flurries of posts about surprisingly loud boomers in their slumber. Add that inferred energy upstairs to what may form as surface based instability... And boom

Think thundersnow... That's technically elevated

1 minute ago, ice1972 said:

Ya….so the lightning stays elevated in the clouds and rumbles…..you lose the loud AF CG strikes in this case…..still love both the same

Just hasn't been the case in my experiences. And most of my experience is elevated because e MA sucks ass in surface based lol

• Like 1