• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2021 OBS Thread

JTA66

Actually, looking at some of the other PWS dotting my area, we're not that much higher. Here's mine:

image.png.b5a1e52fec96171b908da354029298ce.png

image.png.fa1d450837a76bd59c6ec9867149bd9d.png

And here's one a couple of miles to my east:

image.png.d268571cdf3b278c050d208b59bb56fb.png

image.png.ca71111c0a9f5bd1abff6904383a5174.png

But then again, we still have the rest of the month to go, and this is one small sample from Reading, so obviously not representative of the region as a whole. Side note: this is the main reason I wanted a PWS, so I could do these kinds of comparisons and statistical analysis. I freaking love being able to do this. (nerd alert!) :P

I just wish I could adjust the scales on these to make them match better, but hey it's free data.

What Kamu said...feast or famine pattern this past week. I haven't been in a jackpot zone, but I've probably managed to nickel & dime my way to an inch since Friday. Enough to keep things green for now.

We made it to July 15, mid point of met summer! Only 69 days until fall. NFL training camps begin to open next week. Sun now sets prior to 8:30.

82F/DP 68F

Spend my lunch break looking up historical data? Sure, why not! I found average July temp and DP for Allentown, Philadelphia and New Castle from 2004-2020. The results are interesting:

image.png.7d426ed72bbe48b7b6ddf0e2503ec15e.png

image.png.282b713c20b6abc21433ed032b56be48.png

image.png.f2e213d38ca070400ac49d86cf37dd5a.png

Conclusions: July 2009 was much cooler on average than the other sample years. There does appear to be an upward trend in temperature in all three locations over the course of the study. There appears to be a more pronounced upward trend in dewpoint for Allentown and Philadelphia, but if there is one in New Castle, it does not appear as noticeable. New Castle's flatter trend lines may be due to it being closer to the ocean and thus more susceptible to maritime moderation.

Caveat: this data might be statistically insignificant--however, I would posit that these values are something the majority of us would have experienced first hand, so therefore they are significant. July does appear to have gotten steamier in our region since 2004, @KamuSnowB)

• Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Spend my lunch break looking up historical data? Sure, why not! I found average July temp and DP for Allentown, Philadelphia and New Castle from 2004-2020. The results are interesting:

image.png.ff73658209054d2584410ef80ac6eb68.png

Conclusions: July 2009 was much cooler on average than the other sample years. There does appear to be an upward trend in temperature in all three locations over the course of the study. There appears to be a more pronounced upward trend in dewpoint for Allentown and Philadelphia, but if there is one in New Castle, it does not appear as noticeable. New Castle's flatter trend lines may be due to it being closer to the ocean and thus more susceptible to maritime moderation.

Caveat: this data might be statistically insignificant--however, I would posit that these values are something the majority of us would have experienced first hand, so therefore they are significant. July does appear to have gotten steamier in our region since 2004, @KamuSnowB)

Did you make these graphs yourself? If so, did you use Python, Excel, or something else? Nice work regardless, and interesting to look at

14 minutes ago, Newman said:

Did you make these graphs yourself? If so, did you use Python, Excel, or something else? Nice work regardless, and interesting to look at

Quick and dirty Excel. Thanks!

Edit: just noticed the scale is off for the Allentown one. Dangit. I'ma fix that real quick.

Edit edit: Fixed.

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

But then again, we still have the rest of the month to go, and this is one small sample from Reading, so obviously not representative of the region as a whole. Side note: this is the main reason I wanted a PWS, so I could do these kinds of comparisons and statistical analysis. I freaking love being able to do this. (nerd alert!) 

:P

I just wish I could adjust the scales on these to make them match better, but hey it's free data.

See... that's what I've been doing fooling around with one of the home weather programs - weewx - which I have running on a little Raspberry Pi and that displays my PWS data with the Pi's local Apache webserver that I can connect to through a browser.  To do it, I have a little Ecowitt GW-1000 guy that is listening for the data coming out of my PWS and its sensors, compiles and formats that data, and then loops it to weewx to generate the reports and graphs. I am still trying to tweak the thing, which involves  modifying the text components of the config files. 

I added a  quick snapshot of the top part of a page below showing some of the plots for the month to date so far.  I can change the page colors, fonts, chart scales, etc., although I have been having an issue trying to get an alternate measurement unit recognized for the soil moisture sensor (which is defaulted to a unit that my sensors don't use).  In general, I work on it for awhile and then something else demands my attention, so I stop, and eventually get back to it. :lol:

Had to go out to run some errands this morning and although the dewpoint is "lower" (in quotes), it's still pretty brutal out there. Am currently partly cloudy and at 91 with dp 71.

month-snapshot-115pm-07152021.PNG

4 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

See... that's what I've been doing fooling around with one of the home weather programs - weewx - which I have running on a little Raspberry Pi and that displays my PWS data with the Pi's local Apache webserver that I can connect to through a browser.  To do it, I have a little Ecowitt GW-1000 guy that is listening for the data coming out of my PWS and its sensors, compiles and formats that data, and then loops it to weewx to generate the reports and graphs. I am still trying to tweak the thing, which involves  modifying the text components of the config files. 

I added a  quick snapshot of the top part of a page below showing some of the plots for the month to date so far.  I can change the page colors, fonts, chart scales, etc., although I have been having an issue trying to get an alternate measurement unit recognized for the soil moisture sensor (which is defaulted to a unit that my sensors don't use).  In general, I work on it for awhile and then something else demands my attention, so I stop, and eventually get back to it. :lol:

Had to go out to run some errands this morning and although the dewpoint is "lower" (in quotes), it's still pretty brutal out there. Am currently partly cloudy and at 91 with dp 71.

month-snapshot-115pm-07152021.PNG

Ok now that's something to aspire to. I'm the same way though--far too many projects and too little time. Very neat!

1 hour ago, JTA66 said:

What Kamu said...feast or famine pattern this past week. I haven't been in a jackpot zone, but I've probably managed to nickel & dime my way to an inch since Friday. Enough to keep things green for now.

We made it to July 15, mid point of met summer! Only 69 days until fall. NFL training camps begin to open next week. Sun now sets prior to 8:30.

82F/DP 68F

How are you only at 82F (hour ago) and I'm baking at 90F (Accu Weather) when I can hit a golf ball to Lansdale? WUnderground has me even higher at 92F...

90.jpg

• Weenie 1

2 minutes ago, CoolHandMike said:

Ok now that's something to aspire to. I'm the same way though--far too many projects and too little time. Very neat!

Ha!!!  That's been my problem.  Too many "projects" and not enough time to devote to them if something "glitches" and ruins the flow.  I have been doing the weewx stuff in the middle of re-doing my local network (I recently bought my own gateway/router and one of my trips this morning was to take the Comcast rental one back). So getting all the stuff set back up correctly and in the configuration that I want, is disrupting my progress. :axe::lol:

Just now, Hurricane Agnes said:

Ha!!!  That's been my problem.  Too many "projects" and not enough time to devote to them if something "glitches" and ruins the flow.  I have been doing the weewx stuff in the middle of re-doing my local network (I recently bought my own gateway/router and one of my trips this morning was to take the Comcast rental one back). So getting all the stuff set back up correctly and in the configuration that I want, is disrupting my progress. :axe::lol:

I feel that. I recently installed a router on one end of the house ethernet to give better wifi coverage for my security cameras and other random RasPi's. Going in and editing all the configs for three different Pi's isn't fun but at least it's worth it in the end.

Back OT: Yep, still yucky out.

image.png.af8e96d8fefbcddd40f5809ca81e3081.png

38 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

How are you only at 82F (hour ago) and I'm baking at 90F (Accu Weather) when I can hit a golf ball to Lansdale? WUnderground has me even higher at 92F...

90.jpg

Maybe my thermometer hiccuped. Up to 89F now :sun:

4 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

image.png.7d426ed72bbe48b7b6ddf0e2503ec15e.png

Nice work, and thanks for doing this! Interesting to see it graphically (haha). I think August might show a similar trend, maybe a lot of months would, but it's most noticeable obviously in warmer temperatures.

I've experienced more issues with fungus, etc. (with the lawn and plant life) here over the last few years and have wondered if there's a connection. Seems possible.

• Like 1

Looks like my high ended up being 93 and I'm currently partly cloudy and bopping between 88 & 89 with dp that has shot up to 74/75. I heard Glenn on KYW earlier and he said we're stuck in this until probably Monday.  Mt. Holly has the heat headlines up but has forecast a bit of a moderating ("cooler") pattern change for the new week, with the WAR moving away and an incoming trough.

The battle was on along the South Jersey barrier islands today as the sea breeze was mainly from the south which keeps the marine influence within a few blocks of the beaches - the high here in Sea Isle City was in the AM which is almost always the case on the barrier islands at 85.0 at 1030am....most of the day we stayed between 79 and 81 with a steady SSE wind...inland in East Nantmeal we topped out at 85.4 with the high humidity

SicHi.20210715_191805612.jpg

Backyard.20210715_191757649.jpg

Finished mowing a little while ago. I had let the back go due to being chased off by t-storms and then between all the other weather and work, I couldn't find the time to attack it until now. It's probably been two weeks if not more! My little push-mower made it--barely. I know I'm going to have to rake up a bunch of dried clippings tomorrow but at least it's cut.

Anyway, it wasn't too disgusting out since I waited until the very last possible moment of daylight.

image.png.ad2387eeedb2d33ed26110a8e6f1322d.png

29 minutes ago, JTA66 said:

Only got down to 74F overnight, already up to 79F. Looks like we’re off to the races today.

We got down to 70 but yeah. Looks like I'll be doing late evening string trimming tonight. At least my trimmer runs on battery so it shouldn't annoy the neighbors too much.

1 hour ago, CoolHandMike said:

I don't know if I already posted this, but my wife actually made this. It counts down to the actual celestial minute for when fall starts. :)

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20210922T0931&p0=4383&msg=Countdown+to+Fall&font=cursive

LOL :lol:

I had to get out there and do some light watering because I'm afraid if I do a deep water, then some cell will sit over the area tomorrow and unleash, and the plants will end up with yellow leaves.

My "low" was 76 and I've already touched 89 this morning. :blink: Dews are moderate but it's currently sunny and 89 with dp 72.

4 hours ago, CoolHandMike said:

I don't know if I already posted this, but my wife actually made this. It counts down to the actual celestial minute for when fall starts. :)

https://www.timeanddate.com/countdown/generic?iso=20210922T0931&p0=4383&msg=Countdown+to+Fall&font=cursive

Back in the olden days we could pin threads. This is certainly pin worthy :thumbsup:

92F/DP 69F

• Like 1

4th official heat wave today at PHL - of course no heat waves yet this year in the Western burbs here and at KMQS and KPTW. We did record our 3rd 90+ day of the summer down in Sea Isle City today before the sea breeze kicked in...only made it to 88.0 so far on VP2 and 88.9 on Tempest in East Nantmeal - where we are still stuck on only 3 days over 90 and only 1 clean 90 this summer

SicHi.20210716_152546167.jpg