Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

Wednesday starts out dry. Chances of showers and a few thunderstorms
increase in the afternoon though as southerly flow and low-level
moisture increase ahead of mid-upper level trough from the western
Great Lakes to the central Plains. Best chances for convection will
be along Lake Erie lake breeze and across Southern Tier toward
Finger Lakes as the southerly winds interact with the terrain.
Temperatures will head above normal with highs in the mid to upper
70s, warmest on the lake plains.

Much better chance for showers and a rumble of thunder occurs
Wednesday night into Thursday as trough aloft draws closer
increasing low-level jet and moisture advection into the lower Great
Lakes. Showers will be enhanced due to diffluence with upper jet.
Maybe a brief lull on Thursday morning as initial area of showers
lifts across, but expect another round of showers and thunderstorms
Thursday afternoon with PVA from approaching shortwave and as region
will be within right entrance region of upper jet. Forecast
instability looks on the weaker side with MLCAPES 500 j/kg or less
which should limit coverage and intensity of the thunderstorms,
however if instability ends up more than forecast, an isolated
stronger storm could occur as shear over 35 kts is sufficient. A lot
of clouds and intervals of rain will keep temps in check, but the
day will have a more humid feel with highs in the middle 70s and
dewpoints rising into the lower 60s. Most of Thursday night looks
quiet as initial convection exits the area. A more mild night with
low temps staying in the 55-60F range.

After Friday, 500MB heights begin to build over the weekend and on
into next week. Could be an isolated shower or thunderstorm
inland away from the lakes but coverage looks like it will be
sparse. One thing that is becoming clearer though is that the
heat and humidity will ramp up further as H85 temps are forecast
to approach +18C or higher by early next week. Continued to
increase highs over NBM for Saturday through Monday and that
trend likely will continue through much of next week. Highs on
Saturday will warm to upper 80s with readings near 90F likely
Sunday and beyond. Indications are there that we will be dealing
with highs at least into the lower 90s much of next week while
lows will be mainly in the 60s. Humidity will be increasing as
well with dewpoints reaching the lower to middle 60s. No matter
how you slice it, a period of summertime conditions is on the
way and it will stay locked in for a while.

On 6/1/2021 at 8:05 AM, BGM Blizzard said:

Well deserved promotion in the Bing office. Was a little surprised to see they promoted an out of towner from down south when the last MIC vacancy occurred.

https://wnbf.com/nicosia-named-meteorologist-in-charge-binghamton-national-weather-service/

Nicosia seems like a good guy. I think I met him at Skywarn trainings years ago.  Good for him.

Picked up 0.31" of rain overnight..

Chance for some isolated T-storms later this afternoon..

This afternoon and evening...the better forcing and moisture will
start to move east, which will focus the most widespread showers
from the western Southern Tier into the western Finger Lakes and
areas east/southeast of Lake Ontario. If there are enough breaks in
the showers and thicker clouds, enough instability may develop to
support scattered thunderstorms in this area. A few of these storms
may contain gusty winds and heavy downpours if sufficient
destabilization occurs. There`s a small risk that any slow moving
storms will cause localized flooding. Meanwhile, decreasing deep
moisture and forcing coupled with developing stable lake shadows
will allow for decreasing coverage of showers in the afternoon
northeast of Lake Erie, including the Buffalo area.

Showers and scattered thunderstorms will gradually taper off from
west to east tonight...as the mid level trough will move east of the
area and towards eastern NY and western New England.

qpf_acc.us_ne - 2021-06-03T100632.895.png

qpf_acc.us_ne - 2021-06-03T100647.050.png

1 minute ago, wolfie09 said:

I had one of these bumblebees patrolling my yard today lol I've never seen one orange that I can remember..I guess they are called "orange belted bumblebees"..You learn something everyday lol

Pic from the internet..

a-tricolored-bumblebee-bombus-ternarius-also-known-as-an-orange-belted-bumblebee (1).jpg

Nice find!  I'm an avid observer (and actual beekeeper) of all the bee, wasp, and all the hymenoptera species and I have yet to see one of these around here.  Fairly rare!

• Thanks 1

• 1 month later...

Matt,

Just came back from CICERO, looks like almost a done deal on a house there

Hopefully Cicero does better with LES than Manlius would have or the city of Syracuse itself

Would have liked Brewerton but Cicero I hope won't disappoint.

I know a poster once said the city of Syracuse itself with southerly winds  torch; I guess points north would too

Psyched anyhow and Matt, thank you

49 minutes ago, sferic said:

Matt,

Just came back from CICERO, looks like almost a done deal on a house there

Hopefully Cicero does better with LES than Manlius would have or the city of Syracuse itself

Would have liked Brewerton but Cicero I hope won't disappoint.

I know a poster once said the city of Syracuse itself with southerly winds  torch; I guess points north would too

Psyched anyhow and Matt, thank you

Congrats! Cicero will, with very high probability, get more lake effect than both those places.

Also, during the winter, you can really tell the difference between snow amounts and it being a bit cooler in the northern part of the county, as snow depth is almost always deeper than the city.

Going from Syracuse to Bville/northern burbs, the snow is less slushy and affected by warmth less. During warm spells, the snow in the Cuse melts much faster. I have noticed that the northern burbs often get some freezing rain/sleet at some point that helps to retain snowpack.

In a warm winter, you will definitely see ground/grass for periods of time. This will happen MUCH LESS than NYC/Long Island though. It is entirely possible to go a month plus with the ground totally covered and building a snowpack of 1 to 2.5 feet.

In a great winter (which have been rare lately) lake effect belts can go from November to March/April of complete snow cover. I hope we get that again soon.

Looking forward to reading your reports soon. There is a group of us Northern Onondaga/Southern Oswego county guys on here.

10 minutes ago, TugHillMatt said:

Congrats! Cicero will, with very high probability, get more lake effect than both those places.

Also, during the winter, you can really tell the difference between snow amounts and it being a bit cooler in the northern part of the county, as snow depth is almost always deeper than the city.

Going from Syracuse to Bville/northern burbs, the snow is less slushy and affected by warmth less. During warm spells, the snow in the Cuse melts much faster. I have noticed that the northern burbs often get some freezing rain/sleet at some point that helps to retain snowpack.

In a warm winter, you will definitely see ground/grass for periods of time. This will happen MUCH LESS than NYC/Long Island though. It is entirely possible to go a month plus with the ground totally covered and building a snowpack of 1 to 2.5 feet.

In a great winter (which have been rare lately) lake effect belts can go from November to March/April of complete snow cover. I hope we get that again soon.

Looking forward to reading your reports soon. There is a group of us Northern Onondaga/Southern Oswego county guys on here.

Thank you Matt

Currently I am in Liberty NY and of course my home on Long Island so I can jump from CICERO to Liberty to Long Island before any biggies target any of tose locations

Just learning about Wegmans; hopefully as good As shoprite where I currently shop.

Also wish I knew how much a kilowatt hour of electric cost. On Long Island it's 22 cents/kwh Liberty NY 11 cents/ KWH

Curious about whether natural gas in cicero will be cheaper than natural gas on Long Island

1 hour ago, sferic said:

Thank you Matt

Currently I am in Liberty NY and of course my home on Long Island so I can jump from CICERO to Liberty to Long Island before any biggies target any of tose locations

Just learning about Wegmans; hopefully as good As shoprite where I currently shop.

Also wish I knew how much a kilowatt hour of electric cost. On Long Island it's 22 cents/kwh Liberty NY 11 cents/ KWH

Curious about whether natural gas in cicero will be cheaper than natural gas on Long Island

Oh, yes. Central and Western New Yorkers are loyal to Wegman's. I find them expensive, but their food quality is EXCELLENT. They also have a great international food section AND Gluten Free aisle(s)!

Stay away from Tops. Lol. I love Aldi...but also like the support for "local" Rochester-based Wegmans.

• Like 1

On 7/29/2021 at 9:43 PM, TugHillMatt said:

Stay away from Tops. Lol. I love Aldi...but also like the support for "local" Rochester-based Wegmans.

We're big fans of Weggies as well, but our local Tops majorly renovated and it's much better now. They carry some nice items even Wegs doesn't. Impressed. 

• Like 2

21 hours ago, vortmax said:

We're big fans of Weggies as well, but our local Tops majorly renovated and it's much better now. They carry some nice items even Wegs doesn't. Impressed. 

Yes I’m the same way I love Wegmans as well but since moving to Derby the closest Wegmans is about 20 or so minutes away. Tops is only 5 minutes away and they literally just got done completely renovating the entire store a month or two ago and it’s WAY nicer than it used to be. I always seem to get great deals at tops when they have a great sale on items or way overpay for something if it’s not on sale. I still run there for stuff in a pinch or I’ll still look through the old school paper circular ad that comes every week and see if they have any great sales on something and then I’ll go there specifically for those things. 

All these things stated we do 90 percent of our shopping at Walmart lol. 

• Haha 1

Well here in pulaski all we have is tops :lol:

Aldi's is nice for certain things but I'm a "name brand" kind of guy..Yes you pay extra for the name but it's also better tasting lol 

We have a new big lots in town now but grocery is limited, they do have some sweet deals though..

My favorite use to be price chopper but prices have increased dramatically over the last few years, I guess everywhere has lol

We are surrounded by Walmart, Oswego, Fulton, watertown, clay etc but haven't been there in years lol

47 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Well here in pulaski all we have is tops :lol:

Aldi's is nice for certain things but I'm a "name brand" kind of guy..Yes you pay extra for the name but it's also better tasting lol 

We have a new big lots in town now but grocery is limited, they do have some sweet deals though..

My favorite use to be price chopper but prices have increased dramatically over the last few years, I guess everywhere has lol

We are surrounded by Walmart, Oswego, Fulton, watertown, clay etc but haven't been there in years lol

I think your smoking habit gets in the way of you tasting the quality of Aldi products. :lol:

Actually it's the total opposite bro..

Consumption of weed jumpstarts production of the hormone ghrelin. Ghrelin is what makes you hungry—and, more so, make you crave food. This in accordance with the release of dopamine from weed will make you feel so happy to eat food. All of this adds up to making your body crave more and more food—and, more so than that, love whatever it is you're eating at least a hundred times more..

Science Says Weed Makes Food Taste and Smell Better

Anyone who's ever smoked a joint knows that weed can make you ravenously hungry. But why? According to recent research, THC can make your brain smell and taste food far more acutely while high—meaning there's a scientific basis for the munchies.

2 hours ago, wolfie09 said:

Actually it's the total opposite bro..

Consumption of weed jumpstarts production of the hormone ghrelin. Ghrelin is what makes you hungry—and, more so, make you crave food. This in accordance with the release of dopamine from weed will make you feel so happy to eat food. All of this adds up to making your body crave more and more food—and, more so than that, love whatever it is you're eating at least a hundred times more..

Science Says Weed Makes Food Taste and Smell Better

Anyone who's ever smoked a joint knows that weed can make you ravenously hungry. But why? According to recent research, THC can make your brain smell and taste food far more acutely while high—meaning there's a scientific basis for the munchies.

All I know is 30 mg of edibles messed me up bad back in October up in Oregon. I'll never take again. I was so paranoid I almost called 911 at 1 am. My buddy had 20 mg and we were both trippin together. We have a great story for the ages though. It was like Harold and Kumar goes to whitecastle up in that air bnb. :lol:

• Haha 1