Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
2/14- 2/16 Winter Storm and Arctic Cold

WestTennWX

42 minutes ago, Olhausen said:

59 degrees here and a big bust on high temps for the day. Forecasted to be 45 degrees originally. 14 degrees above what was forecasted is about the biggest bust I can remember. I’m hoping this will help keep surface temps above freezing longer and limit the ZR accumulation later on.

It was 59 in Nashville hours before the 1951 ice storm hit. Often the stronger the Arctic push the warm it gets out front.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, WestTennWX said:

Steady freezing drizzle has picked up to light freezing rain here in Union City. Been at 30 most of the afternoon, waiting on the main show tonight.

I feel like you're going to have about a week long show. I hope you're stocked up and have back up power and are able to enjoy winter's wrath. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, John1122 said:

I feel like you're going to have about a week long show. I hope you're stocked up and have back up power and are able to enjoy winter's wrath. 

Absolutely. Plenty of firewood and the generators are gassed up. I'm having a feeling some of my less prepared family members will be over in the next few days though!

Just had a band of fairly heavy freezing rain pass through. Probably a good 1/10 on elevated surfaces now. 

• Like 3

Just hope this is not where Middle TN watched East and now West TN enjoy winter while we continue with cold rains even next week.

I’ll be honest with you.... I would be perfectly fine sitting this one out if I was you. The odds are still good that middle Tennessee gets an ice storm and a outside chance of a catastrophic event. I get that you all have been left out of the fun for a while but this wouldn’t be fun IMO.

• Like 1

New areas in the Warning/ Advisory for TN/ SW VA? Gtyf8cH.png&key=ec44a8a3d9592ffb88d21e2f39f5ffa297a77bb52d760e8fcd44d6bc28931605

MRX mentioned Claiborne/ Campbell/ Scott in the PM AFD and Wise, but wasn't sure if they were under any product this AM

What is the tan colored graphic? I ask because Dalton, GA is in the tan area and they are just 30 miles to our south.  

Edit to add: the tan reaches the Tennessee border just 4 miles to my south as a bird travels.

Sent from my moto z4 using Tapatalk

This thing right here is a very good investment, I highly recommend it.  Currently $121 on Amazon.

You've got AC and DC outlets, USB port, a light, a blower upper, and can jump start your car.  The last power outage we had, I plugged two AC floor lamps into it for a half hour and it still read 100% charge.  I'd imagine you could keep your family's phones charged for over a week if need be.

Edit:  I will add, that if you buy one of these, keep it charged up.  If you use it and it gets drained and stays that way, it will ruin the battery.

l7Kq3cM.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SJ1332-Jump-Starter/dp/B07892JQ1Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Schumacher+SJ1332+1200+Amp+12V&qid=1613002355&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVDFFVVJWUDNVRFhZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTU2ODAxMlNBVDUwUVRPWDhYWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDA4OTYxMk9KMUpQNDNINEFTUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, Stovepipe said:

This thing right here is a very good investment, I highly recommend it.  Currently $121 on Amazon.

You've got AC and DC outlets, USB port, a light, a blower upper, and can jump start your car.  The last power outage we had, I plugged two AC floor lamps into it for a half hour and it still read 100% charge.  I'd imagine you could keep your family's phones charged for over a week if need be.

Edit:  I will add, that if you buy one of these, keep it charged up.  If you use it and it gets drained and stays that way, it will ruin the battery.

l7Kq3cM.jpg

https://www.amazon.com/Schumacher-SJ1332-Jump-Starter/dp/B07892JQ1Q/ref=sr_1_1_sspa?dchild=1&keywords=Schumacher+SJ1332+1200+Amp+12V&qid=1613002355&sr=8-1-spons&psc=1&spLa=ZW5jcnlwdGVkUXVhbGlmaWVyPUExVDFFVVJWUDNVRFhZJmVuY3J5cHRlZElkPUEwNTU2ODAxMlNBVDUwUVRPWDhYWCZlbmNyeXB0ZWRBZElkPUExMDA4OTYxMk9KMUpQNDNINEFTUyZ3aWRnZXROYW1lPXNwX2F0ZiZhY3Rpb249Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=

That looks like my boom box from 1985.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

Just now, Matthew70 said:

How reliable is the GFS this close to the event?

Honestly, ice events are so rare I'm not sure. I will say this, I've found that nearly across all modeling that ice is further east/south than it gets modeled most of the time.  That leading edge of arctic air is one of the hardest things for a model to nail down and they tend to underestimate it.  

• Thanks 2

4 hours ago, WestTennWX said:

Changed over to sleet here in northern Obion County about an hour ago. Roads are a mess but tress and powerlines actually look pretty good.  Heard  thunder a time or two up here as well!

outage.PNG

Had some thunder in hardeman county as well.  Icing wasn’t too bad down my way.  Got a good glaze (.10 maybe)  of ice on all the trees and stuff but that’s about it.  We dodged a bullet with this ice storm.  

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic