• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    bowsunski
    Newest Member
    bowsunski
Upstate/Eastern New York

29 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I saw some pictures at 4k feet of what looked like 10-15" of snow. That likely builds up to around 2-3' or so by next weekend. Almost all precip. above 4k is usually snow if temps average around normal down here. 

I see virtually no snow between now and this weekend with many places likely going well above normal in the temp department.  Where the heck is 20-30 inches of snow coming from!?!

18 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

I see virtually no snow between now and this weekend with many places likely going well above normal in the temp department.  Where the heck is 20-30 inches of snow coming from!?!

Depends on which model is right, but whatever you see at lower elevations, pretty much double that for 4-5k feet. Also upslope if any semblance of cold air. I'm telling you its a different world up there. I’ll be there December 18-20, next weekend.

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

EPS look better than OP runs

Dec7_EPS192.png

They always look good 8-10 days out. This winter is turning into a dud quick especially for us in the BUF metro area. With nothing significant looking likely in the next 7-10 days or so that puts us at mid December already, if we don’t turn the corner quick we start quickly falling by behind in snowfall. With the lake temp dropping pretty rapidly we’re quickly losing out on our “prime time” for big LES when we usually get our best events from mid Nov-Mid January. After that as we’ve discussed numerous times on this forum the winds tend to be more WNW and NW as we head latter into the winter. So areas like ROC and SYR have a better chance to make up for a slow start than BUF does. I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet but if we get to Christmas less than 10” on the season at BUF I think it’s a virtual lock for a well below average snowfall season (less than 75”). 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

They always look good 8-10 days out. This winter is turning into a dud quick especially for us in the BUF metro area. With nothing significant looking likely in the next 7-10 days or so that puts us at mid December already, if we don’t turn the corner quick we start quickly falling by behind in snowfall. With the lake temp dropping pretty rapidly we’re quickly losing out on our “prime time” for big LES when we usually get our best events from mid Nov-Mid January. After that as we’ve discussed numerous times on this forum the winds tend to be more WNW and NW as we head latter into the winter. So areas like ROC and SYR have a better chance to make up for a slow start than BUF does. I’m not ready to throw in the towel yet but if we get to Christmas less than 10” on the season at BUF I think it’s a virtual lock for a well below average snowfall season (less than 75”). 

Okay negative Nancy. The expectations weren't high at all for this year. I said around 80" on the season would be the max. 

• Haha 2

8 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Okay negative Nancy. The expectations weren't high at all for this year. I said around 80" on the season would be the max. 

Agree but if we make it to New Years with single digit snow I think even 80” is a stretch. Didn’t someone here (possibly you) post how bad winters usually come in twos? Last year was a dud so it would make sense for this year to be a dud as well. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

Agree but if we make it to New Years with single digit snow I think even 80” is a stretch. Didn’t someone here (possibly you) post how bad winters usually come in twos? Last year was a dud so it would make sense for this year to be a dud as well. 

Yeah that was me 70-80" was my call. 10-15% below normal. 

1 hour ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Depends on which model is right, but whatever you see at lower elevations, pretty much double that for 4-5k feet. Also upslope if any semblance of cold air. I'm telling you its a different world up there. I’ll be there December 18-20, next weekend.

Oh the 18-20 weekend. There is some hope then. 

• Like 1

21 minutes ago, lakeeffectkid383 said:

I think the thought was that they came in threes? With this one potentially being the last crap one. I believe in the cycles. So far it’s panning out. Certainly we are looking at better odds of a below normal winter at this juncture. Possibly well below normal. 
Cut a couple Christmas trees today! A tiny swath of snowpack exists in a narrow band through SE Monroe county (Fairport-Victor). Only about a mile wide and only 1/2” deep but it helps with the mood. 

11 minutes ago, rochesterdave said:

I think the thought was that they came in threes? With this one potentially being the last crap one. I believe in the cycles. So far it’s panning out. Certainly we are looking at better odds of a below normal winter at this juncture. Possibly well below normal. 
Cut a couple Christmas trees today! A tiny swath of snowpack exists in a narrow band through SE Monroe county (Fairport-Victor). Only about a mile wide and only 1/2” deep but it helps with the mood. 

2017-2019 was good for KBUF

https://www.weather.gov/buf/BuffaloSnow

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Look at the HRRR just south of kbuf lol It's been consistent to granted it's the LR..

sn10_acc.us_ne (96).png

I will ALWAYS defer to the early lake dynamics...I say it every year and it’s something models and Mets never pick up on...the band placement is generally 5 to 10 miles too far south due to the warmer lake waters bending or curving the band further north. Just as the GFS has a cold bias the meso models have a south bias, at least early in the season 

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Thinksnow18 said:

I will ALWAYS defer to the early lake dynamics...I say it every year and it’s something models and Mets never pick up on...the band placement is generally 5 to 10 miles too far south due to the warmer lake waters bending or curving the band further north. Just as the GFS has a cold bias the meso models have a south bias, at least early in the season 

That’s definitley true almost all early season lake effect events land up further north than forecasted. Maybe Hamburg can grab a surprise 2-4” tomorrow morning? 

• Like 1