Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Western Pa / Pittsburgh area Winter Discussion ❄️☃️

north pgh

1 hour ago, Rd9108 said:

Are you KPITTS alt account. You are so negative on every post. Stop just looking at model runs and taking them as gospel. 

I’m as much a fan of cold as I am as a fan of snow, which is to say a pretty big fan. These seemingly endless streaks of above normal months that have become so common, especially in the past five years, are exhausting.

9 hours ago, TimB84 said:

I’m as much a fan of cold as I am as a fan of snow, which is to say a pretty big fan. These seemingly endless streaks of above normal months that have become so common, especially in the past five years, are exhausting.

We had one of our best months ever this season...simmer down.

1 hour ago, KPITSnow said:

We had one of our best months ever this season...simmer down.

Valid point. Can’t have it all, and it’s nice to be worried about “how much snow?” and “how much cold?” rather than “will it ever snow?” or “will it ever get cold?” or “how many February days will hit 76 degrees or more this year?”

At the end of the day, while we likely won’t hit -10 or 75 this month, one is certainly exponentially more likely than the other.

Side note: after all this time I’ve spent bashing the GFS, the Euro is now showing us as almost the coldest spot in the lower 48 next week at this time. 

• Like 1

11 hours ago, TimB84 said:

Your bar for cold is pretty high. 12 degrees out right now, and hasn’t hit 40 this month. Hasn’t hit 50 since just after Christmas. Some bitter cold still chances in the pipeline

Not sure if “84” is your birth year...but if it is...trust me it will start to feel colder the next 10 years :shiver:

3 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Your bar for cold is pretty high. 12 degrees out right now, and hasn’t hit 40 this month. Hasn’t hit 50 since just after Christmas. Some bitter cold still chances in the pipeline

Not sure if “84” is your birth year...but if it is...trust me it will start to feel colder the next 10 years :shiver:

I recognize that it’s truly irrational of me to enjoy seeing remarkable weather like a nice brutal cold snap - it’s certainly not comfortable, my house has plumbing that doesn’t enjoy it, and of course a few people die during periods of extreme weather. I also recognize that the 50 degree thing is remarkable in and of itself, on Thursday it will make it into the top 3 all time at Pgh International to begin a calendar year.

59 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

Looks like a good shot at two separate 2-4” snows this week. Latest GFS also shows a bigger storm for Valentines Day. Verbatim it cuts a deepening storm towards a 1036 high up the Ohio River. Would be a big hit for central Ohio, with a rain to snow here. But plenty of time there.

The first chance tonight looks like a solid 2-3 inches, but looks like a smaller stripe where 3-5 inches could be possible. 12z NAM has that right across Allegheny county. Hopefully some more clarity on that as we get in range of the meso models.

The event later in the week Wed-Thurs might target areas SE of us but we are still in the game and hopefully worst case we grab a few inches on the northern fringe. Models probably won't nail it down until tonight's system is out of the way.

32 minutes ago, TimB84 said:

I recognize that it’s truly irrational of me to enjoy seeing remarkable weather like a nice brutal cold snap - it’s certainly not comfortable, my house has plumbing that doesn’t enjoy it, and of course a few people die during periods of extreme weather. I also recognize that the 50 degree thing is remarkable in and of itself, on Thursday it will make it into the top 3 all time at Pgh International to begin a calendar year.

This whole board is irrational if you think about it lol People rooting for severe thunderstorms, hurricanes, crippling blizzards, epic heatwaves etc. Thing is these weather events will happen whether someone is "rooting" for it or not. The raw power of nature and the struggle to understand it and make sense of a phenomenon that affects me everytime I walk out my front door is I think my motivation. We are all free to find joy in whatever aspect, you want a cold outbreak, some want weeks of snow cover, some want cold powder, some want heavy wet snow.. the list goes on and on.

Take it day by day and make the best of what happens. Living and dying every 6 hours taking model output verbatim is a sure guarantee you will have stress and an anxiety from this hobby.

• Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

I can see how this week is shaping up...

Looking like some nice little snow events this week. But we may not enjoy them since we will be obsessed chasing what the GFS is advertising Sunday. 

Reminder - enjoy the snow that’s falling since the 6 day GFS is likely going to change :-)

Not me. I will enjoy them all. I am one to enjoy a 2-4 clipper any day. And you can shovel a little at a time. 

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, dj3 said:

The Nam has a really narrow max precip band and you couldn't draw it up more perfect for Allegheny County. With cold temperatures and most of this falling overnight I wonder if this overperforms. 

namconus_apcpn_neus_9.png

I’m hoping we max out on this one, I’m thinking the next wave will be less of an impact possibly for us and more so SE. That’s usually how these things go, each successive weak wave targets further South as the boundary gets pushed South by its departing predecessor. I could be wrong, but if I had to guess that’s how I would hedge my bet.

Just now, Rd9108 said:

Idk KDKA is saying snow showers so I believe them. Let's go for the record year of snow. I wonder what our top years are. I'm guessing 2010 is top 3. 

Record is 82” I believe, 09-10 is #3 with 77”.  Doubt we get near those this year, but 60” isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

1 minute ago, Ahoff said:

Record is 82” I believe, 09-10 is #3 with 77”.  Doubt we get near those this year, but 60” isn’t out of the realm of possibility.

Never say never but I agree. If we get a 12+ storm next week we could definitely make a run at getting on the list.