• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Sr. Fhrinse William
    Newest Member
    Sr. Fhrinse William
Fall/Winter Banter - Football, Basketball, Snowball?

John1122

On 3/18/2021 at 10:39 AM, Greyhound said:

I know it's been said before, but I have to say it again......the new radar that the NWS put out not too long ago is just plain God-awful.  It's worse than the old dial-up days of the internet.

^THIS TBH^

Radar is slick when nothing is going on. Streets are underlaid and all dual pole products are there. Any weather bogs down the system though. LOL it ain't vendors pinging nws servers. Casual users can't get a page to download.

In other bitter met face news, Wichita State choked away the game at the end. If any of our teams (everyone on this forum) choke like that we'll have cows. I forgot to change my bracket so hopefully Drake beats USC, lol!

On the bright side it eliminates the personal conflict of a Wichita State vs Kansas game. Good luck to everyone here!

I have three brackets: Kansas, Tennessee, and Michigan. Two are somewhat wish-cast and one is a forecast. Probably should have done an Alabama and Baylor, but I guess keep 'em different conferences. 

From NWS Reno

505536357_bracketmeme.jpg.3c86ab5201063133a40f737dfb301688.jpg

• Haha 2

• 4 weeks later...

Got my first COVID shot Monday.Man,that just sucked the life out of me until today,no energy, just wanted to stay in bed.I didn't feel nothing when she gave the shot until later that night,felt like someone kept giving me a frog in my arm for about 24 hrs.

I'm not looking forward to the booster shot in 2 weeks,that's gonna suck i bet every thing i'm hearing.

Chances are the second will be easier. I'm hearing it's one or the other, not both. What brand did you receive? 

I got Moderna and have been fully vaccinated for a week. First was uneventful, just a sore arm. Second was actually less sore. However I was so sleepy the next day. Still retained moderate energy though. No headache, other than mild I need coffee on a cloudy day. No chills. No fever. No problem!

Sleepy but with energy, in my case, is defined as taking a cat nap and then going jogging. 

1 hour ago, nrgjeff said:

Chances are the second will be easier. I'm hearing it's one or the other, not both. What brand did you receive? 

I got Moderna and have been fully vaccinated for a week. First was uneventful, just a sore arm. Second was actually less sore. However I was so sleepy the next day. Still retained moderate energy though. No headache, other than mild I need coffee on a cloudy day. No chills. No fever. No problem!

Sleepy but with energy, in my case, is defined as taking a cat nap and then going jogging. 

Pfizer

• Like 1

• 3 months later...

For anyone interested in NFL pickem pay league please see the following link. We have done it for 3-years but skipped last year due to COVID. The annual free league is also back and please check out the sports side and the thread for that if interested:

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
On 10/12/2021 at 9:41 AM, nrgjeff said:

Oh my look at this! Not a forecast, just banter. Please don't share outside this forum. 

Snow on Halloween again?

image.thumb.png.039160ded4e6e5d33f0f5fd504425983.png

LOL.  Posted something similar in the fall discussion thread on Monday.  On second thought, banter was probably the better choice....but it was a slow day.  Kind of unreal how nice the set-up for the time frame is!  And yes, huge grain!!!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Pretty sure that gonzo run promoted a statement from the MRX Facebook page about crazy model snow outputs. 

It's gone on the 6z, interesting that it actually started D8/9 on the 0z. Huge snow events are very possible in November. November and March are single storm record holders for many in the valley region.  

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, John1122 said:

Pretty sure that gonzo run promoted a statement from the MRX Facebook page about crazy model snow outputs. 

It's gone on the 6z, interesting that it actually started D8/9 on the 0z. Huge snow events are very possible in November. November and March are single storm record holders for many in the valley region.  

Some nice E TN snowfall bitterness in the comments on that post too, lol! 

Reacting to bears is a good question. Smoky Mountain NP (and other national and state parks) has guidelines posted. Here is my not so complete memory.

1. Walk away from the bear (obviously). Don't run though. It'll go better just walking. If it's in your path, then a long detour is required.

2. If it charges (unlikely unless mama bear defends cubs) then try to become bigger with tree branches or anything to scare it. Bang pots and pans if you have camping gear. 

3. Like all animals (sharks snakes etc) it's more scared of us than we are them. Walking away almost always works.

We've seen bears a few times and have been able to just walk away back toward from where we came. In one case it was 90 degrees to our side, but far from the trail. We were quick, but kept it to a walk back to the car.

Saw coyotes close to town in Chickamauga Battlefield. They crossed the trail. We decided to cut short the excursion. They either never saw us or did not care about us.

We have also seen small sharks while snorkeling. We simply swam the other way and it was uneventful. Glad we don't look much like fish!

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1