• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Spring 2020 OBS Thread

Below normal with frequent showers the next two weeks, no letup in the pattern in sight. Mid March through mid May may be the longest below normal streak in the area since 2015. We got the great winter pattern two months late. We can hope for mercy by the second week of May i guess.

1 hour ago, RedSky said:

Below normal with frequent showers the next two weeks, no letup in the pattern in sight. Mid March through mid May may be the longest below normal streak in the area since 2015. We got the great winter pattern two months late. We can hope for mercy by the second week of May i guess.

I wonder what the history is with cold Marches (and/or Aprils) like we've had the last few years and any correlation to the following winter. Hopefully there is none. A change from the early and late cold with a meh winter sandwiched in between would be nice.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Sounds like a plan.  The rain will have helped too because the wet ground will take longer to radiate away the heat than if it hadn't rained and the ground was dry!

Here is some of our handiwork - my wife is the seamstress, lol. This one is a Blue Chinese Wisteria tree that we got as a stick tree (bare root) 3 years ago, and it 's just starting to bloom. Lost a few flower buds (but not too many) last week to the freeze when it got down to 31F. It was toasty inside there right after we covered it. I won't really mind if it only gets down to 34F but this is insurance. 46F here now.

freeze-protection-4-21-20.thumb.jpg.65a7000b36cf63bd4a1164b63f5f5738.jpg

eta - this is a pic we saw online (when we decided to get it) of what it will hopefully look like when it grows up :-):

Blue-Chinese-Wisteria-Tree.jpg.a66c79abaf90ef1b8d2e445498f7e33e.jpg

• Like 2

3 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

I wonder what the history is with cold Marches (and/or Aprils) like we've had the last few years and any correlation to the following winter. Hopefully there is none. A change from the early and late cold with a meh winter sandwiched in between would be nice.

Wasn't last spring a pretty nice one, though?  Can't remember since we've had some absolutely terrible May's in there.  

8 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Here is some of our handiwork - my wife is the seamstress, lol. This one is a Blue Chinese Wisteria tree that we got as a stick tree (bare root) 3 years ago, and it 's just starting to bloom. Lost a few flower buds (but not too many) last week to the freeze when it got down to 31F. It was toasty inside there right after we covered it. I won't really mind if it only gets down to 34F but this is insurance. 46F here now.

freeze-protection-4-21-20.thumb.jpg.65a7000b36cf63bd4a1164b63f5f5738.jpg

eta - this is a pic we saw online (when we decided to get it) of what it will hopefully look like when it grows up :-):

Blue-Chinese-Wisteria-Tree.jpg.a66c79abaf90ef1b8d2e445498f7e33e.jpg

Congrats on your (and my) 4000th post!  I have seen some Chinese wisterias in Fairmount Park up in the trees.  Getting it trained into a tree form like that pic is amazing!  That is a huge tarp your wife made. :clap:That should hopefully keep the buds protected.

Right now at post time, my temp here is barely 35 (34.5).  I know it will drop just before and around sunrise  (which is a little under 30 minutes from now), when normal diurnal temperature changes are happening, so have been watching closely.  Dp is 19 so don't expect frost.

4 hours ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

Congrats on your (and my) 4000th post!  I have seen some Chinese wisterias in Fairmount Park up in the trees.  Getting it trained into a tree form like that pic is amazing!  That is a huge tarp your wife made. :clap:That should hopefully keep the buds protected.

Right now at post time, my temp here is barely 35 (34.5).  I know it will drop just before and around sunrise  (which is a little under 30 minutes from now), when normal diurnal temperature changes are happening, so have been watching closely.  Dp is 19 so don't expect frost.

Yay, and congrats to you too! The tarp is actually 12 ft. wide frost blanket, and she used some ground pegs to tie the open ends together.

It got down to 34F here (lol), that's the way it works sometimes, but I don't regret doing it. Gotta take them down and put them away so I can mow before the monsoon sets in. 43F here currently, bright sunshine and windy. Good kite flying weather!

Low this AM was 33.1 (WXSIM had 33.9) NWS had 29

For the month we are still 0.7 degrees above normal - looking ahead a pretty good shot at finishing the month below normal temp wise....this would be the 1st below normal month since November 2019 and only our 8th below normal month in the last 30 months!!

4 hours ago, KamuSnow said:

Yay, and congrats to you too! The tarp is actually 12 ft. wide frost blanket, and she used some ground pegs to tie the open ends together.

It got down to 34F here (lol), that's the way it works sometimes, but I don't regret doing it. Gotta take them down and put them away so I can mow before the monsoon sets in. 43F here currently, bright sunshine and windy. Good kite flying weather!

Tonight is a greater chance for a freeze. Winds should calm at sunset temps will drop quick, below 32F dependent on timing of the cloud deck coming.

18 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Tonight is a greater chance for a freeze. Winds should calm at sunset temps will drop quick, below 32F dependent on timing of the cloud deck coming.

I've been thinking about that too, and the covers are still up. Forecast low here is 38, but temps will drop like a rock this evening. I might wait until tomorrow morning and hope it stays dry until later (for mowing).

On 4/21/2020 at 6:20 PM, RedSky said:

Kind of ironic that the below normal regime coincided perfectly with the Coronavirus lockdown. Makes a depressing time that much more depressing. With nowhere to go, warmer weather would have been nice for getting out in the yard, taking a walk, etc, but nope. Now it got cold.

• Like 2
  • Weenie 1

20 minutes ago, Voyager said:

Kind of ironic that the below normal regime coincided perfectly with the Coronavirus lockdown. Makes a depressing time that much more depressing. With nowhere to go, warmer weather would have been nice for getting out in the yard, taking a walk, etc, but nope. Now it got cold.

Yeah I'm looking forward to being able to sit outside without a jacket on (for more than one day in a row).

• Like 2

The winds dropped off after 9 pm last night and the temp started the expected decent from the mid-40s, bottoming out at 36 around 1 am. But then a breeze kicked in again not long after and mixed it all out, with the temp rising non-diurnally, and creeping back up to 40 just after 2 am.  It pretty much held at that the rest of the early morning.  Currently at 41 and overcast.

16 hours ago, Voyager said:

Makes one think about the gods sitting around their chess board likein Jason and the Argonauts "Next let's move the dark cloud here and give them winter in mid spring, let's see how many want to leap off bridges" as Aphrodite quips" that's cruel" 

• Like 1
  • Weenie 1

17 minutes ago, RedSky said:

Makes one think about the gods sitting around their chess board likein Jason and the Argonauts "Next let's move the dark cloud here and give them winter in mid spring, let's see how many want to leap off bridges" as Aphrodite quips" that's cruel" 

Haha...true.

16 hours ago, Birds~69 said:

Man, I don't know what to think? Watching the NFL draft, took a walk to Wawa w/a bandana around my face, hair long as hell, rain/sleet mixture falling and absolutely no one on the road besides a stray cat...lol.

Sounds like a scene out of a movie, lol. Good thing you weren't hitchhiking.

45 minutes ago, KamuSnow said:

Sounds like a scene out of a movie, lol. Good thing you weren't hitchhiking.

It felt like it. I don't think things will get any better (lift shutdown) around here till June 1st at the earliest.

Nice day tomorrow which means lawn cutting because Sunday is another washout it appears...

49F/cloudy