• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW & NE Burbs 2020

IrishRob17

Nice snow squall to our northwest.  Let’s see if it holds together.

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service Binghamton NY
344 PM EDT Sat May 9 2020

NYZ009-015>018-022>025-036-037-044>046-055>057-062-PAZ038>040-
100000-
Northern Oneida-Yates-Seneca-Southern Cayuga-Onondaga-Steuben-
Schuyler-Chemung-Tompkins-Madison-Southern Oneida-Cortland-
Chenango-Otsego-Tioga-Broome-Delaware-Sullivan-Bradford-
Susquehanna-Northern Wayne-
344 PM EDT Sat May 9 2020

...HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS EXPECTED THROUGH THIS EVENING...

Scattered heavy snow showers will continue through this evening.
Localized accumulations of 1 to 3 inches will be possible across
higher terrain, with a coating of snow possible at lower
elevations.

In addition, heavy snow squalls will cause rapidly changing
travel conditions with visibility less than a quarter mile and
slippery spots on roads.
  • Like 1

Special Weather Statement
National Weather Service New York NY
645 PM EDT Sat May 9 2020

CTZ005>012-NYZ067-068-070-092345-
Southern Middlesex-Northern Fairfield-Southern New London-Southern
Fairfield-Northern New London-Northern New Haven-Northern
Middlesex-Southern New Haven-Putnam-Northern Westchester-Orange-
645 PM EDT Sat May 9 2020

...FAST MOVING BANDS OF SNOW SQUALLS WILL AFFECT PORTIONS OF THE
LOWER HUDSON VALLEY AND SOUTHERN CONNECTICUT...

At 640 PM EDT, National Weather Service Doppler radar showed bands
of snow squalls extending from Bristol to New Fairfield to near
Kerhonkson to Maplewood to Gibson. Movement was southeast at 50 mph.

Winds up to 45 mph and visibilities 1/4 to 1/2 mile are likely with
the heavier squalls.

These squalls will be near...
  Cheshire and Bethel around 645 PM EDT.
  Newtown around 650 PM EDT.
  Meriden and Middletown around 655 PM EDT.
  Bridgeport and Middletown around 705 PM EDT.
  Shelton and East Hampton around 710 PM EDT.
  New Haven and Milford around 715 PM EDT.
  Chester around 720 PM EDT.
  Brewster and Carmel around 730 PM EDT.
  Cold Spring and West Point around 735 PM EDT.

10 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Well almost... The last of the snowshowers moved through around 8pm last night so no 5/10 snowfall record set :(  Hopefully this morning was the last freeze, I really want to get the tomatoes outside, the cold hardy stuff that's out there seems to have come through just fine. My wife's new flowers not so much :( 

We have one more reinforcing cold shot. Tuesday morning freezes for many, Wednesday morning for most, and then I'm declaring growing season officially open.

I spent the afternoon finally clearing the bramble and brush around the fabled dam. This structure has certainly seen better days. I would have no idea how to even start thinking about building this back up. Was the dam once as high as the concrete abutment on the right? Why did some chunks of masonry migrate back into the pond and others tumble down the spillway? What I wouldn't give to see a photo of this setup when it was still standing...

Yj4ePEN.jpg

19 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

We have one more reinforcing cold shot. Tuesday morning freezes for many, Wednesday morning for most, and then I'm declaring growing season officially open.

Violently agree, it’s coming. 

11 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

I spent the afternoon finally clearing the bramble and brush around the fabled dam. This structure has certainly seen better days. I would have no idea how to even start thinking about building this back up. Was the dam once as high as the concrete abutment on the right? Why did some chunks of masonry migrate back into the pond and others tumble down the spillway? What I wouldn't give to see a photo of this setup when it was still standing...

Yj4ePEN.jpg

It may not have been as high as the abutment, maybe there was a lower spillway in the middle?

Either way, rebuilding a dam, is no small project.

We have an old dam, revolutionary war era, that’s breached on the property.  It’s big, 20’ high, 6’ wide. It was the iron furnace that everything around here is named for, furnace brook, furnace brook lake, furnace dock rd, furnace woods rd... apparently it was a big in the 1750s.  We had a tropical storm (blanking on the name) about 15 years ago that dropped like 9” rain and ripped a huge section off the dam.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

Yup that's what I'm thinking too. I forgot to cover one bed the other day and lost my string beans and Hungarian wax hot peppers :( I'm excited about my potatoes, I built a potato box and all 3 that I planted in there are happening so I built 2 more and will be filling them with soil today. We should end up with more potatoes than we can eat if all goes right. 

11 hours ago, Hitman said:

We have an old dam, revolutionary war era, that’s breached on the property.  It’s big, 20’ high, 6’ wide. It was the iron furnace that everything around here is named for, furnace brook, furnace brook lake, furnace dock rd, furnace woods rd... apparently it was a big in the 1750s.  We had a tropical storm (blanking on the name) about 15 years ago that dropped like 9” rain and ripped a huge section off the dam.

Heh, now I know right where you're at. Was that big storm Floyd in 1999? Most spots east of the river got over 10" and along the higher terrain was 13+. Fahnestock recorded 14.5 and a reliable station that used to be on Quaker Hill in Patterson/ Pawling showed just under 17. 

16 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

It may not have been as high as the abutment, maybe there was a lower spillway in the middle?

Yeah, I think you're right. I wasn't really sure what these little farm pond dams were supposed to look like, but it was likely along these lines now that I do a little digging.

100729_weirs200.jpg?itok=whaUqjME

15 hours ago, Hitman said:

That's pretty neat! Lots of history in that area. Was that the October '05 flood courtesy of TS Tammy and an unnamed subtropical depression?

• Like 1

11 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Yup that's what I'm thinking too. I forgot to cover one bed the other day and lost my string beans and Hungarian wax hot peppers :( I'm excited about my potatoes, I built a potato box and all 3 that I planted in there are happening so I built 2 more and will be filling them with soil today. We should end up with more potatoes than we can eat if all goes right. 

Heh, now I know right where you're at. Was that big storm Floyd in 1999? Most spots east of the river got over 10" and along the higher terrain was 13+. Fahnestock recorded 14.5 and a reliable station that used to be on Quaker Hill in Patterson/ Pawling showed just under 17. 

Yup, Floyd.

got a nice hailstorm this morning.

36 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just saw video from a few miles away from here, serious pea sized hail. 

Who would have thought snow in May then a thunderstorm with hail two days later. Add it to the list of 2020 oddities...DDBABB1D-EAFA-4FAB-A325-4B6D13328EF0.thumb.jpeg.f3ee943a865db79876bb859e4451f308.jpeg

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Alright I'm calling it after tonight, no more frosts or freezes and the 70 or so seedlings and plants ready to go clogging up my sunroom are going out to the garden tomorrow. The last seed potatoes are going in today though. 

I agree.

I hit 31.8° this morning, we may challenge that again tonight, but I think the nights of freezing are done for this spring after that.

• Thanks 1