Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 2020 General Discussions & Observations Thread

Rtd208

9 minutes ago, forkyfork said:

that is not a good pattern. any storm that amplifies is going to cut

Fork, there`s a lot of HP day 11 - 14 over HB .

Certainly not a KU look , but 540 thickness with - 5 at 850 by day 10 ends the torch. 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-mslp_anom-9392000 JAN 7 HP.png

9 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes but that was a pattern that was bad for the coast.  It was good for areas to the far northwest of us.

Because it was November and your departures of - 5 still don`t get it done on the coastal plain without blocking that early.

There was a trough in the means at 500 because you were in the cold phases.

Now what does that pattern do in late Jan to Mid Feb with where N are at that time ? 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, PB-99 said:

Fork, there`s a lot of HP day 11 - 14 over HB .

Certainly not a KU look , but 540 thickness with - 5 at 850 by day 10 ends the torch. 

any storm that cuts west of us could easily bring in more record warmth. look at that trough to our west

• Like 2
  • Thanks 2

7 minutes ago, LibertyBell said:

Yes but that was a pattern that was bad for the coast.  It was good for areas to the far northwest of us.

Yeah, all cutters and huggers. Only 1.9“of snow at at JFK for 8.03 of total precipitation in December. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yea, I was confused as to why it was being called a good pattern. It’s strong -PNA/RNA, +AO, +NAO, neutral EPO 

and a strong PV to boot.  Not exactly the stuff of big winters around here...Great pattern for the Rocky Mt Ski resorts

Going to need a monster -EPO to overcome the other garbage

• Like 2

Just now, forkyfork said:

any storm that cuts west of us could easily bring in more record warmth. look at that trough to our west

Sure over the next 5 days when there a 4SD ridge in the east , I think I hit 70 in CNJ.

But then hat ridge is pressed down into Cuba day 11 - 15.  If you cut any storm in even the best pattern we can go to 50. But the EPS accelerated kicking that trough off the W/C by day 10.

It`s p7, the trough doesn`t come all the way east.

But here is the EPS storm track post d 10 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-mslp_anom- JAN 7 MEAN STORM TRACK.png

1 minute ago, bluewave said:

Yeah, all cutters and huggers. Only 1.9“of snow at at JFK for 8.03 of total precipitation in December. 

7 for Colts Neck 6 for U of Miami , 6 for PSV 

You will have a diff response in late Jan than you had in mid Nov

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

Because it was November and your departures of - 5 still don`t get it done on the coastal plain without blocking that early.

There was a trough in the means at 500 because you were in the cold phases.

Now what does that pattern do in late Jan to Mid Feb with where N are at that time ? 

The first half of December was pretty meh too....now once you get to the end of the month and especially February, you're talking, but that was what many of the LR forecasters said anyway, that this would be a backloaded winter.

8 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

Sure over the next 5 days when there a 4SD ridge in the east , I think I hit 70 in CNJ.

But then hat ridge is pressed down into Cuba day 11 - 15.  If you cut any storm in even the best pattern we can go to 50. But the EPS accelerated kicking that trough off the W/C by day 10.

It`s p7, the trough doesn`t come all the way east.

But here is the EPS storm track post d 10 

ecmwf-ensemble-avg-namer-mslp_anom- JAN 7 MEAN STORM TRACK.png

I think he means that if the pattern was really that good that storms wouldn't be cutting or hugging.  Cutting/hugging is the effect, not the cause.

9 minutes ago, snowman19 said:

Yea, I was confused as to why it was being called a good pattern. It’s strong -PNA/RNA, +AO, +NAO, neutral EPO 

PNA goes + 

And there`s height heights over HB.

I didn`t say it was " a good pattern " I said your SE ridge and torch are gone.

And in Jan you snow with N 2m`s with - 850`s 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

and a strong PV to boot.  Not exactly the stuff of big winters around here...Great pattern for the Rocky Mt Ski resorts

Going to need a monster -EPO to overcome the other garbage

You really think this pattern is going to last? 

2 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

PNA goes + 

And there`s height heights over HB.

I didn`t say it was " a good pattern " I said your SE ridge and torch are gone.

And in Jan you snow with N 2m`s with - 850`s 

Paul, is there a way to come up with a list of analogs of other Januarys that went into a similar pattern?

8 minutes ago, Snow88 said:

I have no clue what some people on here are seeing. Either they dont look at the models or they are trolling.

you have to look at more than the models.  Surely you know that by now.   They're a tool.   Part of a package.   Just b/c a day 10 prog says x or y, that's certainly not always the end result.

• Like 1

Just now, Brian5671 said:

you have to look at more than the models.  Surely you know that by now.   They're a tool.   Part of a package.   Just b/c a day 10 prog says x or y, that's certainly not always the end result.

Like what ?

Magic 8 ball ? 

PM me tonight`s powerball #`s pls 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, PB-99 said:

Like what ?

Magic 8 ball ? 

PM me tonight`s powerball #`s pls 

hey if we just went by the models we would not need meterologists to intepret them....hey you do remember last year right-that magic pattern was 10-12 days out the whole season...how did that work out?

Just now, Brian5671 said:

hey if we just went by the models we would not need meterologists to intepret them....hey you do remember last year right-that magic pattern was 10-12 days out the whole season...how did that work out?

Hey don`t look at me I was never a fan of the Strat warm idea. 

11 minutes ago, Brian5671 said:

I'll give an example-several days ago models had an ice storm for Cleveland this weekend.   Now they have thunderstorms and record warmth this weekend.

Brian, with all due respect we have been talking about a 3 plus week warm up away since before Christmas and hollowed out a 5 day break with more warmth on the backend.

No one where I post missed this period from late Dec onward.