Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
December 2019

NYCweatherNOW

27 minutes ago, donsutherland1 said:

Some global climate data (though this really should be in the climate change forum):

10 Warmest Years (1880-Present) on GISS (ranked):

1. 2016
2. 2019 (all but certain)
3. 2017
4. 2015
5. 2018
6. 2014
7. 2010
8. 2013
9. 2005
10. 2007

5 Warmest Decades on GISS (ranked):

1. 2010-19 +0.8°C anomaly (December 2019 data is not yet in)
2. 2000-09 +0.6°C anomaly
3. 1990-99
4. 1980-89
5. 1940-49

This data clearly bears the marks of a warming climate. Absent warming, such outcomes would be all but improbable. Yet, natural forcings have not changed sufficiently to explain such warming.

Total Solar Irradiance:

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/cdr/atmospheric/total-solar-irradiance

Global Temperature Trend (when solar, ENSO, and volcanic influence have been removed):

erl408263f4

Paper: https://iopscience.iop.org/article/10.1088/1748-9326/6/4/044022

Additional information from NASA: https://climate.nasa.gov/evidence/

We used to not allow this discussion but I will allow it.  It's too important of an issue.  The fact that it's political bothers me to no end.  

• Like 6

24 minutes ago, bluewave said:

Same to you and your family. We can have a back and forth without any hard feelings. 

Agreed; no need for hard feelings. It’s not the deniers fault that they can’t accept science. They became deniers due to both nature and nurture (aka science), it is beyond their control and how they are wired. Just like those who accept science and facts were likely raised in environments which fostered the acceptance of reality. 

All we can do long term is ignore the deniers until they die off. The younger generation is really charged up about climate change. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, bluewave said:

The high temperature reached 57 degrees in NYC on Monday. This warmth right before Christmas has become really pronounced since 2001. NYC has gone 17 out of the last 19 years reaching 55 or warmer in the week before Christmas.

Time Series Summary for NY CITY CENTRAL PARK, NY
Click column heading to sort ascending, click again to sort descending.
Ending Date
Highest Max Temperature Dec 18 to Dec 24
Missing Count
2019-12-24 57 1
2018-12-24 61 0
2017-12-24 55 0
2016-12-24 58 0
2015-12-24 72 0
2014-12-24 58 0
2013-12-24 71 0
2012-12-24 56 0
2011-12-24 62 0
2010-12-24 40 0
2009-12-24 39 0
2008-12-24 58 0
2007-12-24 61 0
2006-12-24 59 0
2005-12-24 55 0
2004-12-24 59 0
2003-12-24 56 0
2002-12-24 60 0
2001-12-24 58 0

0F796DF0-37AB-4CD1-B8E5-E5E3FFDB9490.thumb.jpeg.dd4bd32774a06e2e8b1b9e341a5b1a17.jpeg

The rate of seasonal cooling from the third to the fourth week of December has slowed dramatically after 1990. This development is region-wide. In fact, the fourth week of December is only slightly cooler than the third week of December now.

Mean Temperatures: December 15-21 vs. December 22-28, 1991-2018:

Boston:
12/15-21: 35.1°; 12/22-28: 34.9°

New York City:
12/15-21: 38.2°; 12/22-28: 37.9°

Philadelphia:
12/15-21: 38.2°; 12/22-28: 37.7°

At present, the fourth week of December is now warmer than the third week of December was during the 1961-1990 base period (prior to the period being measured above):

Boston:
12/15-21/1961-1990: 31.1°; 12/22-28/1991-2018: 34.9°

New York City:
12/15-21/1961-1990: 34.6°; 12/22-28/1991-2018: 37.9°

Philadelphia:
12/15-21/1961-1990: 34.1°; 12/22-28/1991-2018: 37.7°

• Like 2

1 hour ago, sussexcountyobs said:

I do not call science a hoax. Don't twist words. I called man made climate change a hoax. And again, 113 yrs is a very , very short time period to talk about global temperatures. 100, or 1,000 yrs is a blip on the Earth's clock.

Agreed. And their chosen remedy of a tax on affluent countries makes me suspicious of their agenda. Shake of the tin cup?

48 minutes ago, psv88 said:

Agreed; no need for hard feelings. It’s not the deniers fault that they can’t accept science. They became deniers due to both nature and nurture (aka science), it is beyond their control and how they are wired. Just like those who accept science and facts were likely raised in environments which fostered the acceptance of reality. 

All we can do long term is ignore the deniers until they die off. The younger generation is really charged up about climate change. 

You must be joking?

2 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

You must be joking?

Definitely not joking. I have no hard feelings, once deniers die off, the younger generations will do what needs to be done. Green parties around the world are swelling in numbers, massive gains in Europe, the younger generation cares about the environment because it is their inheritance. 

I dont blame you or others of your ilk. Just like i don't blame anti-vaxxers, or liberals who are crazy about GMOS, etc. People will believe what they want to believe. I believe that in the end, the truth always prevails. Maybe i am the moron, but i am willing to take that risk of action over inaction. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, sussexcountyobs said:

I do not call science a hoax. Don't twist words. I called man made climate change a hoax. And again, 113 yrs is a very , very short time period to talk about global temperatures. 100, or 1,000 yrs is a blip on the Earth's clock.

Climate change is a scientific theory. Not a proven fact.  denying climate does not = calling science a hoax.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, JBG said:

Agreed. And their chosen remedy of a tax on affluent countries makes me suspicious of their agenda. Shake of the tin cup?

Yea. Agreed, climate change is simply poor countries trying to shake down rich countries. It's incredible how poor countries have managed to employ tens of thousands of scientists and alter data in their favor to try and squeeze a few bucks out of the rich countries. 

Unless...you are completely wrong and the chosen remedy is not a transfer of wealth. It is self-regulation by individual countries, closing coal power plants, etc. Just this week, a court in the netherlands (where my family is from) ordered the country to cut emissions, on the basis of human rights. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50864569

No transfer of wealth there. 

But, who needs facts when they have Tucker, am i right?

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, SHELEG said:

Climate change is a scientific theory. Not a proven fact.  denying climate does not = calling science a hoax.

It is not a theory that greenhouse gases prevent heat from escaping the earth, this is law. It is also not a theory that greenhouse gases have increased rapidly for the past century due to industrialization. These are facts. It is also fact that temps have increased rapidly over the past century, confirming the above...the science is settled.

• Like 1

Just now, psv88 said:

Shocking that a climate denier also lacks reading comprehension. I did not wish anything, i said "once" they do. You wishing me death tonight lol, thats a first on a message board!

I Do not wish that. You said once people like me, the deniers, die off. Pretty intolerant for a millennial liberal. Like I said, Karma is a bitch.

4 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

I Do not wish that. You said once people like me, the deniers, die off. Pretty intolerant for a millennial liberal. Like I said, Karma is a bitch.

Yes, once. That is not wishing for anything. 

"Once grandpa dies, the house goes to his wife"

Does that mean i wished for him to die? 

Course not, you are twisting my words and your attempt fails.

17 minutes ago, psv88 said:

It is not a theory that greenhouse gases prevent heat from escaping the earth, this is law. It is also not a theory that greenhouse gases have increased rapidly for the past century due to industrialization. These are facts. It is also fact that temps have increased rapidly over the past century, confirming the above...the science is settled.

This is incorrect. Yes we know greenhouse gases cause the earth to retain its heat in a controlled environment but we have no proof to how the atmosphere would respond on a global scale.In fact there have been centuries which had more CO2 in the environment than we have now with less warming

3 minutes ago, SHELEG said:

This is incorrect. Yes we know greenhouse gases cause the earth to retain its heat in a controlled environment but we have no proof to how the atmosphere would respond on a global scale.In fact there have been centuries which had more CO2 in the environment than we have now with less warming

We do have proof because its happening now. Each year is warmer than the last (essentially). 

I will be direct. Why deny? What is the motivation? Is it simply because it is a cause supported by liberals? Is there something else? I really dont understand why people deny, unless they work for the fossil fuel industry. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

4 minutes ago, psv88 said:

We do have proof because its happening now. Each year is warmer than the last (essentially). 

I will be direct. Why deny? What is the motivation? Is it simply because it is a cause supported by liberals? Is there something else? I really dont understand why people deny, unless they work for the fossil fuel industry. 

It’s important to know because global warming is causing people to become hysterical like believe and  believe that they shouldn’t have children.

37 minutes ago, sussexcountyobs said:

Still no one has replied what the average yearly temps were in NYC area in the 1400's, 1500's, 1600's, 1700's, 1800's etc. And we can ask what were the temps thousands of years before that? Giving computer data showing rising temps in the last 100 years is meaningless. 

https://www.ncdc.noaa.gov/global-warming/last-1000-years

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, psv88 said:

Yea. Agreed, climate change is simply poor countries trying to shake down rich countries. It's incredible how poor countries have managed to employ tens of thousands of scientists and alter data in their favor to try and squeeze a few bucks out of the rich countries. 

Unless...you are completely wrong and the chosen remedy is not a transfer of wealth. It is self-regulation by individual countries, closing coal power plants, etc. Just this week, a court in the netherlands (where my family is from) ordered the country to cut emissions, on the basis of human rights. 

https://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-50864569

No transfer of wealth there. 

But, who needs facts when they have Tucker, am i right?

Blah blah blah. We've heard this tired story before. It's a hoax. Paris Agreement would have taken American dollars to foreign countries. Meanwhile, China and India profit, and don't cut their emissions? Cmon. Liberal millionaires purchasing real estate at water's edge? Cmon.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, psv88 said:

We deny because 1.  we've had warming like this before  and 2. It's not manmade. There's no reason to change our lifestyles or act as if we'll change the outcome. People need to stop being hysterical.