• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
NNE Cold Season Thread

wxeyeNH

It's interesting that in these smaller events I do feel like the mountain gets higher ratio snow and I think it's something that happens along the Spine. 

J.Spin gets more liquid on the whole but I do think we get lower ratio snow (say only 20:1 vs 40:1) and I noticed it again this morning on CoCoRAHS.

When these little fluffers move through the Spine seems to really tap that snow growth and get huge fluffly flakes while in town they are still fluffy but not quite the same.  Sometimes it seems like there isn't a huge difference in moisture, just higher ratio snow.

But you can see the 0.03-0.04" water and then look at the snowfall differences.  I tend to find that J.Spin difference at Mansfield too, where its not always just more moisture but that the flakes seem much larger and stack better.  There was around 2" at the mountain by the end of the day today and it was pure air... had to be 40:1 northern stream fluffernutter stuff.

Jan_6_preci.gif.44725aacaa8efa4f06f7291310c2a111.gifJan_6_snow.gif.055d601276231814c47b009b980e4e0b.gif

52 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

It's interesting that in these smaller events I do feel like the mountain gets higher ratio snow and I think it's something that happens along the Spine. 

J.Spin gets more liquid on the whole but I do think we get lower ratio snow (say only 20:1 vs 40:1) and I noticed it again this morning on CoCoRAHS.

When these little fluffers move through the Spine seems to really tap that snow growth and get huge fluffly flakes while in town they are still fluffy but not quite the same.  Sometimes it seems like there isn't a huge difference in moisture, just higher ratio snow.

But you can see the 0.03-0.04" water and then look at the snowfall differences.  I tend to find that J.Spin difference at Mansfield too, where its not always just more moisture but that the flakes seem much larger and stack better.  There was around 2" at the mountain by the end of the day today and it was pure air... had to be 40:1 northern stream fluffernutter stuff.

Jan_6_preci.gif.44725aacaa8efa4f06f7291310c2a111.gifJan_6_snow.gif.055d601276231814c47b009b980e4e0b.gif

Cool stuff PF, and indeed that 24-hour period had a couple of super fluffy measurements that were sub-0.005” of liquid and thus got rounded down to zero.  That of course pushed the net ratio for that stretch up to 45 to 1, even though the main measured sample came in at 27.5 to 1.

Of the three rounds of measurements I had during that period, the 0.04” reported actually came with the 1.1” of snow at 12:00 P.M. on the 5th.  The subsequent two rounds of measurement (0.3” of snow at 6:00 P.M. on the 5th, and then 0.4” of snow at 6:00 A.M. on the 6th) came in with 0.0007” and 0.0035” of liquid, respectively.  The second one didn’t miss the 0.005” by much, but ultimately they both got rounded down to 0.00” of liquid.

For the most part it should average out over the course of a season, but sometimes you’ll get those days where samples just miss the threshold and get rounded down to zero.  The rounding is probably for the better in some respects.  For example, the 0.0007” of liquid was probably low anyway – I get to the scale as quickly as I can, but in these small samples, evaporation/sublimation is having an effect.  If you leave a core on the scale for a minute or two inside, you can see the mass of the sample decrease as water is lost.

It was certainly some of the driest snow I’ve seen this season though – you could simply wave your hand past the snowboard and make it fly away if you wanted to.

21 Partly cloudy flurries

We just had a crazy snow squall.   1.25" in about 20 or 30 minutes

During the day today light snow gave me just under 1.50" before the squall.   Nice little 2.75" event.  More streamers seem to be coming west to east towards me.  I usually don't pay much attention because the Greens capture most everything.  Didn't work this evening

• Like 2

Event totals: 1.4” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.3 inches

New Liquid: 0.01 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 30.0

Snow Density: 3.3% H2O

Temperature: 26.1 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

There’s some precipitation pushing into BTV right now on the radar, so we may not be quite done with this event, but we’ll see if anything accumulates in our area:

07JAN20A.gif

The next system in line appears to be an upper level trough/shortwave with an arctic front that could bring some snow squalls tomorrow.

I've been home in SNE for a few days. Temps have been in the 40s, and it was 53 the day I got into town. It feels more like oct/nov than anything remotely related to winter. I will be back up the the 'Woods late this afternoon. Will be nice to see snow again. Although, 53 degrees sure felt nice.

20 hours ago, powderfreak said:

Can’t call it deep winter at all but the one redeeming value has been snow on the ground for the most part since like the 2nd week of November.  

4” cumulative over past 48 hrs at home and only 6” total depth... but guess it’s white?  River isn’t even frozen.  Normally it’s just frozen with snow on it and animal tracks everywhere.

50EF4B2A-89F3-4049-8976-B24A94156F26.thumb.jpeg.d7e082df02117baf1d0129becafb0ba0.jpeg

Snowpack has indeed been on the low side, but it’s been persistent for the most part since what was really an incredibly early start (even besting last season’s very early start by a couple of days at our site). 

Overall I’ve really been loving this January weather so far though – if there’s a month to have above normal temperatures, this is definitely it.  If I was to write up the winter I’d put those below average temperatures in November, March, and April, and above average temperatures in January.  We’re getting snow, and we’re not freezing our butts off in artic cold while the storm track gets pushed far to the south.  Sometimes you have to deal with some mixed precipitation when the systems come through, but I’ll take that vs. the cold and dry scenario that sometimes happens this time of year.  I know some folks prefer the high and dry scenario more, since it’s great for snow (and ice) preservation, but the snowpack is really too meager to really be going there yet.  We definitely need to get more liquid equivalent into it, and if that comes with some mixed precipitation I’d still argue it’s still going to be better than high and dry.

• Like 1

We took a ride up to  Alex's  today.  9" at the snow stake here but  only a few inches in  the Plymouth to Lincoln area.  Snow cover becomes deeper north of Franconia Notch.

A local photographer was in front of our house this afternoon and posted this picture of our road.  Nothing special, fairly typical January day.

The weekend situation seems like it's becoming a warmer solution.   Really warm in the east coast cities.  Mid 60's 

jshill.jpg

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, wxeyeNH said:

We took a ride up to  Alex's  today.  9" at the snow stake here but  only a few inches in  the Plymouth to Lincoln area.  Snow cover becomes deeper north of Franconia Notch.

A local photographer was in front of our house this afternoon and posted this picture of our road.  Nothing special, fairly typical January day.

The weekend situation seems like it's becoming a warmer solution.   Really warm in the east coast cities.  Mid 60's 

jshill.jpg

Bummed I missed you!

Event totals: 1.5” Snow/0.05” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 P.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 0.1 inches

New Liquid: Trace

Temperature: 29.5 F

Sky: Cloudy

Snow at the stake: 6.0 inches

The tail end of the most recent system brought a final tenth of an inch of snow this morning, and that should do it for that event.

The next system in the queue is expected to move into the area tonight, with potentially another 1-3” like this last one, although our point forecast does suggest the potential for accumulations of 3-5”.

It just keeps snowing.  Gotta enjoy it while it’s here.  

14” in 4 days at the ski area, all at 2-3” every 12 hours.  

1.5” on the car at home and 2.0” in the parking lot at 5:30am up at the office.  This stuff feels denser.  

But it’s literally been 4 days straight of nickel and dime snowfall.  We’ll take it as a substitute.

E5DCFFD2-DDBE-48E3-86D3-0B5DE309F2E5.jpeg.f16d8150f26e5cc90189efd685adc650.jpeg

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Event totals: 1.6” Snow/0.09” L.E.

Details from the 6:00 A.M. Waterbury observations:

New Snow: 1.6 inches

New Liquid: 0.09 inches

Snow/Water Ratio: 17.8

Snow Density: 5.6% H2O

Temperature: 27.0 F

Sky: Light Snow (2 to 5 mm flakes)

Snow at the stake: 7.0 inches

I wasn’t sure how much snow we were going to get overnight with the start of this next system, but the sound of the plow on our road early this morning suggested it was off to a quick start.  We actually picked up more snow in just the first round of this storm than the entirety of the previous one.

1 hour ago, powderfreak said:

1.5” on the car at home and 2.0” in the parking lot at 5:30am up at the office.  This stuff feels denser.  

But it’s literally been 4 days straight of nickel and dime snowfall.  We’ll take it as a substitute.

Bread&Butter.jpg

It’s funny you mention the snowfall totals over the past few days because I just noticed it this morning as well.  When you send in your CoCoRaHS data each day, your data table comes up to show you the past several days (sort of a nice way to make sure you didn’t miss anything in the past few entries).  I looked and noticed just what you mentioned.  I checked back a bit, and it’s actually been going on for a decent stretch.  There was a short break there for a couple of days, but it’s been an inch or two each day, and when you look at the totals for the past 10 days you can really see how much liquid has been going into the snowpack:

08JAN20A.jpg

That’s why I made that post the other day about how it’s been pretty nice; we’re getting our bread and butter events, the pack has been slowly building, and temperatures have generally been comfortable.  Heading out to the bus this morning with the boys we had a couple of inches of new snow, no wind, the trees were all freshly coated, temps were in the upper 20s F, etc.  It was just really pleasant.  I’m not sure if temperatures have actually been running above average, but if this is what you get then sign me up.

It’s nice to punctuate the daily stuff with some larger QPF events for really putting serious liquid equivalent into the pack, but it looks like we’ve got one of those in the queue as well.  Obviously they’re best when they’re 100% snow, but other liquid/frozen stuff will still typically build the pack.

2 hours ago, powderfreak said:

E5DCFFD2-DDBE-48E3-86D3-0B5DE309F2E5.jpeg.f16d8150f26e5cc90189efd685adc650.jpeg

If those are nickels and dimes, my area must be getting ha'pennies.  :lol:   This morning's half inch (maybe 3/4 by the time it ended) marks the 4th snow event of the new year here,  and they total about 3", not 14.  Keeps the surface looking fresh, at least, though the weekend may leave a bedraggled pack topped by a few IP.

3 minutes ago, powderfreak said:

Another couple inches since 5:30am at the mountain.  

Pulses of moisture moving through but speckled with 30-35dbz at times produces some pretty healthy rates for short durations.  

531EA0A7-BD9B-4B04-9F82-F0E74B6E041A.gif.9ded4ec371a4a79919eea4c6f0ac3861.gif

Nice!  We got 0.3” at our site with that pulse – as you can see from the radar, the Winooski Valley was right on the southern edge of that batch.

There’s nothing immediately upstream on the radar, but the BTV NWS forecast discussion does indicate additional chances today as features move through:

Area Forecast Discussion

National Weather Service Burlington VT

936 AM EST Wed Jan 8 2020

.NEAR TERM /THROUGH THURSDAY/...

Surface low passing well north of our area will continue to track eastward today. As it moves East, an upper level trough will move in behind it, along with potent shortwave energy diving into the base of upper level trough this afternoon. Will mainly see some scattered snow showers associated with these features today, and looks like it will come through in several rounds. Could see some briefly moderate snow, but mainly light snow showers are anticipated. High resolution guidance indicates a few separate rounds of snow showers. Radar currently shows an area of snow showers pushing across Northern Vermont, and another area moving eastward from Lake Ontario, along with a bit of lake enhancement there. Surface cold front crosses the area this morning, then upper level trough and vorticity advection moves in.