• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Fall/Winter Banter 2019-2020

Carvers Gap

NAO region was pretty ugly until Feb 13 or 14. 

Storms ran though the TN and Ohio Valley until one cranked up some ridging and pulled the TPV down towards Hudson's Bay. It retreated back to the Beaufort Sea pretty quickly after that. 

@Carvers Gap if you watch the second gif, it actually has an upper low take something like that weird track. This one goes from Boise to Portland, to off the CA coast and then back, lol. 

Looks like a pretty strong Pac jet blasting BC even through March 6th. 

Looking at the whole N Hemisphere, it looks like changes started in the AO domain around Feb 24 and you ended up with a parent TPV over Greenland and a baby over the Sea of Okhutsk. This allows some impressive HP to build north of Alaska:

(sorry for the flashes, but the system that produces those maps is a little slow)

giphy.gif

13 hours ago, Holston_River_Rambler said:

NAO region was pretty ugly until Feb 13 or 14. 

Storms ran though the TN and Ohio Valley until one cranked up some ridging and pulled the TPV down towards Hudson's Bay. It retreated back to the Beaufort Sea pretty quickly after that. 

@Carvers Gap if you watch the second gif, it actually has an upper low take something like that weird track. This one goes from Boise to Portland, to off the CA coast and then back, lol. 

Looks like a pretty strong Pac jet blasting BC even through March 6th. 

Looking at the whole N Hemisphere, it looks like changes started in the AO domain around Feb 24 and you ended up with a parent TPV over Greenland and a baby over the Sea of Okhutsk. This allows some impressive HP to build north of Alaska:

(sorry for the flashes, but the system that produces those maps is a little slow)

giphy.gif

I think that feature is going to possibly be a cutoff.  Will be interesting.

Still would like to know why San Diego St is ranked so high and they have played nothing but chump teams,they might be one of the first teams if they get a #1 bracket to get knocked off by a 16 seed..lol
Virginia was a #1 seed in 2018 and lost their first round game

Sent from my XT1710-02 using Tapatalk

53 minutes ago, weathertree4u said:

These big events (maybe not quite this big) used to happen outside the mountains every 15 or 20 years but alas its been a while. Apparently my great grandfather used to tell my grandfather about this one. He was about 12 years old and lived at about 3000 feet on the Scott/Campbell Co line. He just said snow was up to his thighs during the storm.  I'd never known the exact dates though. That looks like an all time southeast valley screw job. 

1 hour ago, John1122 said:

These big events (maybe not quite this big) used to happen outside the mountains every 15 or 20 years but alas its been a while. Apparently my great grandfather used to tell my grandfather about this one. He was about 12 years old and lived at about 3000 feet on the Scott/Campbell Co line. He just said snow was up to his thighs during the storm.  I'd never known the exact dates though. That looks like an all time southeast valley screw job. 

Yea, evidently pretty tight gradient between whole bunch of snow and nothing 

Just throwing this out there. I am sure that there is actually a climatolgist someplace that has actually crunched the data on this theory but will be interesting to see if the same pattern repeats as we go forward. The data referred to was pulled from https://w2.weather.gov/climate/xmacis.php?wfo=ohx

I came up with an interesting theory last night concerning the weather. Many of us have wondered what happened to Winter for the second Winter in a row. Well, looks like it has to do with where we are in the solar cycle. Consider the following graph that starts with solar cycle 17/18, the minimum was mid 1940's every winter season except 1948/1949 had at least either January or February with double-digit snowfall, including the infamous winter of 1950/1951; if you look at the next minimum, the mid 1950's, every winter season after that had double digit snowfall in at least one of either January or February, sometimes both, including the record of most snowfall in a season occurring 1959/1960 when Nashville logged snowfall January/February/March for a total of 38.5"; if you look at the next minimum that was in the mid 1970's, this was followed by the harsh winters of the late 1970's; my point is that there seemed to be a lag of about a year - which means next year could be a bust also - but that for about five years after the minimum, harsh eastern winters seasons followed. The question is, is the lag time increased because the minimum is projected to take longer to reach? If you look at the second graph you can recall the snowier winters we had in 2010/2011 2011/2012, right after the solar minimum of cycle 23; just my thoughts, will be interesting to see if the prior pattern holds and what the next four or five winter seasons hold for the East.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1