/O.CON.KOUN.TO.W.0080.000000T0000Z-190524T0245Z/
Harper OK-
911 PM CDT Thu May 23 2019

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 945 PM CDT FOR WESTERN
HARPER COUNTY...

At 910 PM CDT, an  extremely dangerous tornado is moving into
Laverne now, moving northeast at 25 mph. People in and northeast of
Laverne should be in shelter now!

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Weather spotters confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may
         be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes
         will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
         businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction
         is possible.

Locations impacted include...
Laverne.

Just now, yoda said:

Severe Weather Statement
National Weather Service Norman OK

OKC059-240245-
/O.CON.KOUN.TO.W.0080.000000T0000Z-190524T0245Z/
Harper OK-

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 945 PM CDT FOR WESTERN
HARPER COUNTY...

At 910 PM CDT, an  extremely dangerous tornado is moving into
Laverne now, moving northeast at 25 mph. People in and northeast of
Laverne should be in shelter now!

This is a PARTICULARLY DANGEROUS SITUATION. TAKE COVER NOW!

HAZARD...Damaging tornado.

SOURCE...Weather spotters confirmed tornado.

IMPACT...You are in a life-threatening situation. Flying debris may
         be deadly to those caught without shelter. Mobile homes
         will be destroyed. Considerable damage to homes,
         businesses, and vehicles is likely and complete destruction
         is possible.

Locations impacted include...
Laverne.

It was on the ground a few miles SW of them, it's not like they have up to the minute updates on whether or not it's still on the ground. I'm not really sure if there was a TOG as it passed Laverne, we'll find out soon enough. 

6 hours ago, OortCloud said:

PBRussell, I recognized your avatar immediately.  May 4, 2003.  The northernmost one is the one that hit my parents' house. 

Wow, sorry I’m getting to this late. You mean the kck f4 tornado correct? My father brother and I went out and chased that thing and took video footage. First tornado I ever saw. 

A classmate of mine in school also had her house leveled from that tornado. Certainly a day I’ll never forget

Just now, NorthArlington101 said:

That circulation south of it looked mean a frame or two ago. Still could definitely produce.

Looks like that circulation will pass to their SE though. Rough night for them, that's a lot of nerve-wracking close calls to handle. Although, all things considered they got lucky. 

Just now, mob1 said:

Looks like that circulation will pass to their SE though. Rough night for them, that's a lot of nerve-wracking close calls to handle. Although, all things considered they got lucky. 

I'd go buy some lottery tickets after this is over if I lived there.

57 minutes ago, Brick Tamland said:

OK, TX, and MO were really lucky this week that these tornadoes didn't do more damage and hit more populated areas. Been a while since we've had a week like this with all the tornado threats. 

Very lucky, seems to be an opposite of 2011 trend this year outside of maybe Jefferson City, but even lucky there it wasn't as violent as it could have been.

Today has two areas of interest, in my opinion.

Iowa/northern Illinois:
Assuming the early day MCS does not overly disrupt the environment, you should see modest to moderate instability develop by mid-afternoon. Wind profiles look very favorable for supercells. Any storms that can interact favorably with the warm front/convectively reinforced boundary, will have the highest (relatively) tornado potential.

West Texas toward the caprock/southeastern Texas panhandle:
Wind profiles are not great right now, but there's a weak boundary in place along a SW-NE axis between Amarillo and Lubbock. This should be the focus for storm initiation later today. Although the orientation is roughly parallel to the deep shear vectors, most guidance increases the low-level jet this evening, supporting fairly rapid enlargement of hodographs right around or shortly after 00z. It might be too little too late as storm modes could be messy by then, but I'd suspect there will be at least a couple of tornadoes in this area.

In between these two areas, storms are probable over a wide swath from Kansas/Oklahoma to Missouri. The main threat will probably be flash flooding in this region.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, pbrussell said:

Wow, sorry I’m getting to this late. You mean the kck f4 tornado correct? My father brother and I went out and chased that thing and took video footage. First tornado I ever saw. 

A classmate of mine in school also had her house leveled from that tornado. Certainly a day I’ll never forget

Yes, they lived in an over-55 community that had been built in 2000-2001 off 99th between Parallel and Leavenworth Roads.  They had a hipped roof, which did not come off, but the house across 100th street to the east of theirs was completely gone except the floor and I think the refrigerator. 
This hipped roof did not come off:  https://goo.gl/maps/fAXJVnFBTGxHsPtS9

This house was completely gone except for the refrigerator, to the best of my memory:  https://goo.gl/maps/jNJzyv27oGj6w2pX8

This sign (I think it may have been stone, but can't remember) was torn apart brick by brick or maybe it was stone by stone:  https://goo.gl/maps/oe52viDhgr8AFXyNA

My mother's bedroom had a sharp piece of barn wood embedded in the interior wall at head height.  Two by fours came through the roof and another exterior wall in that same bedroom, the northwest one.  My dad's room, the northeast one, wasn't touched in the least.  The other houses on either side had roofs and walls come off and furniture exposed.  This house, I believe it was, https://goo.gl/maps/RtGmcC4qdcg5sskL7  

had a beam in the garage come down on top of the car in the garage and smash the car in the garage.  But no one in this neighborhood was killed.  They all had basements.  It intensified to F4 a little bit northeast and an older man was killed and his Purple Heart was found in the rubble.  His last name was Darey.  His son had called him and told him to get in the crawl space, but Mr. Darey said he didn't think he could get in the crawl space, and got int the bathtub instead.  It wasn't enough.

They did have gas lines severed and gas hissing.

The police made everyone leave whether their house was habitable or not.  FEMA was there the next day and came around inspecting houses declaring them habitable or not.  They gave everyone tetanus shots and set up a hot dog stand.  My parents' house was declared habitable, but my Dad breathed that Pink Panther insulation by vacuuming it without a mask.  He got sick from that.  Also, he got cut in the basement looking out the basement window at the tornado saying "I don't think it's coming this way."  I came the next morning and my Dad had to meet me at the perimeter to prove I belonged there to be allowed in.  Others were cleaning up other stuff but I cleaned up little pieces of roof asphalt and other sharp objects that were embedded in the yard, so that their lawn-mowing service could mow their lawn without throwing sharp stuff around.  I kept finding little pieces of glass in the stranges places, such as on top of their washer-dryer unit in a closet that had been thought untouched. 

This is WAY off the subject, but to replace items, I took my mother to Topeka, which still has an 80's-style mall.  We were able to replace and match much of her stuff like decorative chickens (don't ask) in Topeka.  She lost one half of a set of decorative chickens that I had gotten in trouble for using Comet on when I was a kid.  I said "I guarantee you we will find a matching CHICKEN in Topeka."  And we did.  There was  a large Bible bookstore in Topeka and that's where we found the chicken. 

Sorry so off topic but I learned a lot about insurance during the aftermath.  I will only say one more thing:  When it comes to insurance, you basically get one disaster because they KNOW you had a bona fide disaster.  If you keep having fires and stuff they start to wonder about you. But if you have a disaster like this, they know you had a disaster so claim everything.  They won't raise your rates because you had a tornado.  They will come and get the damaged furniture that you are claiming, and sell it to a discount outfit.  My mother was able to work with them to buy back some of the damaged, claimed furniture and they didn't quibble.  The other thing I learned was that the insurance paid the re-builder in three large installments.  I was worried how they would pay their re-builder up front or whether they would have to.  The other thing I learned was don't get in a dispute with your insurance company or your contractor.  A house across the street got in a dispute with their contractor and their house sat un-rebuilt for months.   My parents' house was finished in six months.  They had to move to a motel when the walls and carpet were re-done.  After that, when they refinanced, the house was considered "new" at the rebuilding point. 

Saw a segment on the local news showing the "devastation along Capitol Street" in St. Joseph, and although it didn't look all that devastated to me, compared to the F4 of 2003 I was just describing, this can help pinpoint where buildings near the river (northeast end of tornado path) were damaged. 

Here is the segment:  https://www.kctv5.com/news/

Click on "Historic Buildings in Jefferson City Sustain Serious Damage"      What they show is not bad compared to some Facebook pics linked below in this message.   But people may be wondering which of the historic buildings east of the Capitol may have been damaged.  I have been wondering about the Amtrak station myself, but the Amtrak wasn't running anyway this week due to flooding.  Long story short, everywhere is flooded and they needed the tracks for re-routed freight trains, so even though those tracks aren't flooded, they are in very heavy use by extra freight trains, so the Amtrak isn't running. 

Anyway, here's the funeral home and apartment building they are talking about on the TV segment.  Apartment building had windows knocked out.    https://goo.gl/maps/c6PJJiChWJgCoT3b9

And here's the apartment complex that got some of the worst of it:  https://goo.gl/maps/vLyY9Dmo7VuBWfZN6

Here's the Sonic that got some of the worst worst of it:  https://goo.gl/maps/tP5YSv1vrxbND9879

This Best Western reportedly had people trapped in rubble:  https://goo.gl/maps/bxgXCi7ANW4FKzAA8

These must be the car dealerships that got the worst worst of it:  https://goo.gl/maps/bxgXCi7ANW4FKzAA8

This dog-grooming place, Shed, Bath, and Beyond, must not have sustained much damage, as they post that they will be open tomorrow.  https://goo.gl/maps/duw2uZa4N6CabpZa6

However, they shared some photos of damage very near them on their Facebook:      https://www.facebook.com/Shed-Bath-Beyond-Grooming-103977196301985/?__tn__=kC-R&eid=ARAiEHRBGhOx4tCtixu5Rzeoe9pWUVJDxraiCWzCWlx7xIVWn7uB60l2euIYyDxZHQIZz-0KoyIDjI4V&hc_ref=ARQdxAR8_1oJtlQHL-x6clrwFb5PgM2aoTEHDfCorzwUKhqZsstJSiZvBHTvriYJIy8&__xts__[0]=68.ARB3dub861BVKnHA1BFPmAIJIk8iWZABebHc7FB19T77xMzJUPe5oCoze5zo5pishkzrTy937ovg3AXm7veVXagwTwuuduxvClDJ6IMUaj1zn2HcrKoazeyWxXbWSybBLT4zI8BOKZ7xRX2u8HxLrwsL6XjcyybQsJbvYhmRkJNKUOKAgg4oIN2_xKh7T7FS44Zu-8t4iX7eth2Soqfmhv2fwd1CINtmGslC-GQgrrQkEtih38ZN7Tsih2XbthS3VeoF7A4syowYROzPnXYD7Xmn_OjH8kuDjy9yWnQg0bcpH7146T5qdOochrFTeEJKJ8QlzhAX-aDL6UwgTo4jco-VXGHjZu-YkyVFb5KEfHYQyC28fqDU4wldQI6LKAL0cq-6UNs3gKTFkQ3KZ7-n0JpE1zx5CIvThIk4D0dL6eX1o9xr6uPe1e2IghliS9VSLjx1JTPL-u8XUwaUy9Jnh-TxwgejCZ3MofMOqiMDeZN8d1HRi7EvYQ

Edited to add:  Someone has put Google Map links in the comments on all those photos that Shed, Bath, and Beyond posted on Facebook.