• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

I'll have to measure out front tomorrow or in a couple of spots. I'm showing 4.5" here on my board out back, which doesnt make sense. Been snowing for a solid 7 hrs since I've been home, not including what fell earlier in the day, which may have blown off.  I suppose at 1/2"/hr or so that number makes sense but I'd say that's been a minimum rate. And we didnt have 0 during the day.

Just looked outside for the first time since this evening and I got to estimate at least 18-24" but I'll check in the early morning hrs to make sure of my measurement.  To put this event into perspective, I've been here for 15yrs and this is the heaviest event I've seen here, and that's saying something. The magnitude of this one and the amount of snow is just amazing as it continues to pound away at least 2"/hr for the last 8-12 hrs straight no exaggeration, as the radar should confirm amounts when all is said and done!

So this is what its like up there on the TUG, lol, so I got to finally experience a LES worthy of praise and glory, lol!

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, Syrmax said:

I just measured...7.8"  and 0 36" melted.  We were on the fringe of the heavy stuff till the wee hours. And whatever fell during the day was blown away...I'll take it 

That’s close to 20:1 stuff. BTW, how do you melt the snow in your tube quickly?  I bring it in the house and let it melt slowly but that can take hours. 

6 hours ago, CNY-LES FREAK said:

I think in the next hr or so this event will be a done deal and man what an spectacular event it was, from the hurricane force wind gusts, to heavy LES something more expected to be seen up on the TUG, as I won't see another event like this in a long time!

In a normal winter, yes.....

Glad you got a great event to enjoy.

1 hour ago, CNY_WX said:

That’s close to 20:1 stuff. BTW, how do you melt the snow in your tube quickly?  I bring it in the house and let it melt slowly but that can take hours. 

I have a graduated cylinder that came with the rain gauge / collector. So...fill the rain gauge tube and measure carefully, then pour in warm water to melt the snow in the cylinder. When its all melted, measure everything in the graduated cylinder again and subtract out what you added. Sometimes I'll add 2 graduated cylinders. So if I add say, 0.90" water twice to melt the snow, ill subtract out the 1.80" of water I added from the final total.  Just have to be careful to not spill or mismeasure.  Better than waiting for it to melt....

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Really shocked with no advisory 6" forecast with no WWA? This has potential to overperform IMO. 

Agreed. They even mention that in the text from this morning...it states upwards of 6" form Buf to Roc and the western finger lakes and that there could be more...well if I'm not mistaken isn't winter storm warning criteria 7" in 12 hours??? Heck thats awfully close.

7 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Keep in mind kuchera is showing 15/1-20/1 ratios..

It will be a cold storm but we know that doesn't necessarily translate to higher ratios..

I'd stick with 10:1 maps and figure we get 12:1 max. Too many things have to align to get Kuchera fantasy numbers usually.

I guess ratios may be decent..(especially south of Ontario)

..Headline Worthy Snowfall Wednesday and Wednesday night...

Mid level troughing returns to the upper Great Lakes Wednesday
associated with shortwave energy dropping southeast through the
northern plains. Surface reflection will be minimal at first but
slowly take shape as it moves across the Ohio Valley into the lower
Great Lakes. Forcing increases due to increasing low level warm air
advection from a tightening thermal gradient that lifts into western
New York. Signals suggest that the better precipitation axis will be
aligned within this gradient. Near optimal thermal profiles in the
dendritic growth zone with corresponding isentropic ascent looks to
be focused over a good portion of the area south of Lake Ontario.
With the good snow ratios expected, should be able to generate a
solid 2-5 inches of snow as the low level circulation tracks across
the area through Wednesday evening. There may be a narrow corridor
of slightly higher amounts possible toward 6 inches focused from
Buffalo to Rochester into the western Finger Lakes. Accumulations
will be harder to come by with drier mid level air across the North
Country.