• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Upstate/Eastern New York

Does anyone remember this week last year? BRUTAL cold with highs in the single digits for several days.  A cut off low was stalled over New England and it tapped into a cross polar flow of arctic air.  Lake Ontario sprayed grit onto the South Shore for days and days straight.  Only ended up with 5 or 6 inches but snow was in the air for days.  I could use some of that love right now.  

Looking at the CF6 I'm reminded that we rebounded to well above normal the following week and the rest of the month was somewhat of a bust aside from the storm on the 12th and 13th.

cf6roc2018.thumb.JPG.60648a49547b16f12ef7d787bc8400c5.JPG

• Like 1

Models have a lot to figure out here. a warm front, cold front, digging shortwave, transfer, wrap around/lake enhancement etc

One thing for certain it should be a high precip event, broken down into 2 parts, euro doubled its 12z output..

Obviously not all snow, euro is a little warmer with the intial warm front, giving a couple inches or so before mix/dz/lull..

It's the 2nd part of the event that we see the majority of our accumulation..Intially starting as light rain quickly turns into moderate snow..Need to wait on the meso-models to get into range for any potential enhancement..

download (45).png

us_model-en-087-0_modez_2019010600_135_479_323.png

This is the first 24 hr period I’ll be watching. Don’t bother with the first wave (yes, I know you’ll get snow Matt), it’s the trailing thing that looks interesting. 

fv3p_apcpn24_us_14.pngFollowing this period we have 2-3 chances at getting a phase. These could be cutters or they could be too Far East. They’ll be fast and be hard to pin down. But g-d it, there’s a chance! 

Warm/wet , cold/dry.. No reason for that to change now lol

Starting to think Jan will be a pile of shlt too lol

After this upcoming event we will be dominated by HP for several days, things will change but as of now we are pretty dry on the majority of  models heading into mid month..

It's funny that tonight is projected to get down to 6° and Thursday-sat struggling to make it into the mid 20s for highs, but tomorrow through Wednesday we rain/slop fest..

That's not "no cold air" that's bad luck lol

18 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Warm/wet , cold/dry.. No reason for that to change now lol

Starting to think Jan will be a pile of shlt too lol

After this upcoming event we will be dominated by HP for several days, things will change but as of now we are pretty dry on the majority of  models heading into mid month..

It's funny that tonight is projected to get down to 6° and Thursday-sat struggling to make it into the mid 20s for highs, but tomorrow through Wednesday we rain/slop fest..

That's not "no cold air" that's bad luck lol

Yeah it's brutal in the Pacific still. You can still see it dominating the pattern even with a -NAO. There are about 3 more cutters and temps in 40s for several days. 

Notice on the GEFS how the PV rotates around towards hudson bay and comes diving into the Great Lakes. This is one of the 3 lobes that was mentioned a few days ago.  You can see the rising heights across the northwest with dropping heights across the Pacific. That is our next opportunity for big lake effect snow.

u2wPgO4.gif

15 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

With Ontario that warm and the cold “coming” you will hopefully get some big events. Brutal first year on the tug so far. 

Sure has been. At the same time, I can still see the benefits of moving here, as there has been snow on the ground for two months. But it hasn't been much to play in with the repetitive thaws.

Deepest snow pack was almost two feet....BEFORE Thanksgiving.

Haha thanks, but that's not my house :lol:

I'll let my neighbor down the street know u think so :D

I originally purchased a house a mile or two away but failed inspection so i backed out..

This is my crib, haven't had enough snow to get good pics this year, bought the pixel 3 for nothing ..

The one thing that must change is how wide open it is lol Need to start growing more "trees"..

uZ-i0ilOIcrguZzB1yUefkF3SD7d5PncdugmEn0I

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, wolfie09 said:

Haha thanks, but that's not my house :lol:

I'll let my neighbor down the street know u think so :D

I originally purchased a house a mile or two away but failed inspection so i backed out..

This is my crib, haven't had enough snow to get good pics this year, bought the pixel 3 for nothing ..

The one thing that must change is how wide open it is lol Need to start growing more "trees"..

uZ-i0ilOIcrguZzB1yUefkF3SD7d5PncdugmEn0I

I see green grass and leaves. Are you sure this wasn't taken in Pulaski today? :P

• Haha 1