Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
E PA/NJ/DE Winter 2018-19 OBS Thread

Rtd208

1 hour ago, KamuSnow said:

You're good - that was me trying to be funny. I guess the mock authoritarian tone didn't come through. We're pretty relaxed here, sometimes a moderator from NY will stop in and take our pulse.

A couple more snows would be nice - we've had to work hard for our snow this winter, especially RedSky.

No worries man! 

Regarding redskys snowhole, I was going to say the past two ski trips I went on have added up to 58 inches in 6 days on the mountain. That's like 20-30x more snow than redsky has recieved this year. (39 inches in 4 days at smugglers notch 1/8-11 and 15/19 inches at Mount snow/magic, respectively, on 1/20-21.  I've been really lucky with my powder chasing this year.  Like seriously lucky, smuggs recieved 12 inches more than Stowe during that storm, and they're only a few miles apart on the same mountain.  I guess the wind direction favored smuggs with the upslope snow, pretty crazy how much variability there is in QPF along the green mtn spine. 

Also any chance that shortwave dips a bit further south and phases sooner?  Thatd be good for a few inches if so.  But it seems like it's too late for that since its 48 hours out.  I dont know what itd take or what to look for, for that to occur.  Does anyone have any books they reccomend to help learn more?  So I dont have to bother you guys and can actually contribute something meaningful, besides observations. You guys have been more than helpful, I really appreciate it.  

42 minutes ago, Physicsteve said:

Screencapped this from an article on nj.com a week or so ago about the lack of snow this year, especially in central jersey. Its like Redsky’s luck was trying to reach back and snowhole PA too. What an azzhole... ;)

54CB25EA-1682-4018-9500-B034212080AD.jpeg

Here is the actual tweet -

and closeup of that map (this was as of/just before the tweet, which was 2/17/19) -

DzlSh2SWoAAi20I.png

There is an interesting hole in southern Delaware too, somewhere along an area between Milford and Lewes!

16 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS family looks interesting for Monday but I think we know how it will end with a fairly flat flow at 500mb. This is probably the best case look imo:

Does a flatter flow mean less ability to pull moisture out of the gulf and less time for the low to deepen along the coast? 

2 hours ago, Physicsteve said:

Screencapped this from an article on nj.com a week or so ago about the lack of snow this year, especially in central jersey. Its like Redsky’s luck was trying to reach back and snowhole PA too. What an azzhole... ;)

54CB25EA-1682-4018-9500-B034212080AD.jpeg

There it is, like an atmospheric proctology exam this winter

I feel better that I have measured 4.7" that map says i did worse and is that right Qtown comes in at a whopping 8"! That matches what i measured in 2012 after frankenstorm near identical not counting this coming March however. Two very bad winters after early snow the evidence grows.

2 hours ago, ChasingFlakes said:

Does a flatter flow mean less ability to pull moisture out of the gulf and less time for the low to deepen along the coast? 

Yes and yes. Keeps it from 'turning the corner' and coming N while amplifying. Not gonna say it wont happen but odds right now are against a monster storm crawling up the coast. Flow looks progressive.

However, with that said a decent W to E overunning or a small amplified wave riding along a SW to NE trajectory is more likely and will work for the area.

Monday is a solid direct hit on the Euro FWIW. Looks like a 4-8"/5-10" hit verbatim. Quickly becoming our best threat of the season?

• Thanks 1

58 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Yes and yes. Keeps it from 'turning the corner' and coming N while amplifying. Not gonna say it wont happen but odds right now are against a monster storm crawling up the coast. Flow looks progressive.

However, with that said a decent W to E overunning or a small amplified wave riding along a SW to NE trajectory is more likely and will work for the area.

Monday is a solid direct hit on the Euro FWIW. Looks like a 4-8"/5-10" hit verbatim. Quickly becoming our best threat of the season?

Euro/CMC doesn't inspire as much confidence as it once did. Want the GFS on board for sure.

25 minutes ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

GFS family heading the wrong direction. Fail on every threat during our promising window of hope. Very uninspiring 18z suite.

Good thing we've had plenty of practice this winter. I'm almost, I said almost, numb to it. Probably because spring could be around the corner. I still think we'll get something in the next 10 days or so though.

Have a feeling with the weekend system I95 area will be the usual r/s line with farther N and W areas being colder. CMC is juiced but farther N with a MECS far N and W. Euro is about the same. 

The red flag to me is the NAVGEM is in line with the farther NW models. I95 areas should be used to how this will likely unfold by now. We can always hope for a late fluke tho with this. We are in range at least at 5 days.