Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

31 minutes ago, Rd9108 said:

Seems like this storm is ramping up on the models which makes the Sunday storm trend flatter which means its congrats WV and DC again. Still can change but not the trends you want to see. 

It’s the Saturday storm bombing out near cape cod that is making Sunday flatter on the 0z models. Pretty discouraging trends so far but I guess one of the risks with a fast flow and too many shortwaves 

NAM is still a nice hit for Sunday. Just the GFS that’s looking flat. Still a couple days out.

While we are worried about that, it is snowing!

not surprisingly, advisory expanded to Allegheny county and south.

Back end coming quick but it’s going to be a real interesting couple hours if you are awake. Definitely have some model agreement of a quick thump. 

22 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

NAM is still a nice hit for Sunday. Just the GFS that’s looking flat. Still a couple days out.

While we are worried about that, it is snowing!

not surprisingly, advisory expanded to Allegheny county and south.

Back end coming quick but it’s going to be a real interesting couple hours if you are awake. Definitely have some model agreement of a quick thump. 

Naw the para, the gefs, the UK all came southeast and flatter. Still could trend north last minute but it's a thread the needle for us.

3 minutes ago, Mailman said:

Euro went a little southeast, as well, with the heaviest snow for Sunday.

Could be beginning signs of the end of a bigger hit for us. As others have stated to many short waves in this fast flow will result in poor modeling until much closer in time. Need to get Saturday storm better resolved first, I’m still not sold we see a SE trend continue but certainly it’s possible. Until then I’ll keep looking out my window tonight.:snowwindow:

So after missing the last big storm 50-100 miles to the north, it is looking more and more like this one will be 50-100 miles south. The euro still shows a good hit but it is slowly caving to the other models.

Maybe the euro will be right and stay where it is at,  but I have little confidence after the January storm where it showed a foot the day before and it rained all day instead.

12 hours ago, jwilson said:

The other change at 18Z I noticed was the GFS wanting to crank that first low once it gets in the Atlantic on Saturday.  That could rob some energy from the Sunday system and/or push it south.  Not a favorable change, in my estimations.  0Z runs tonight will be telling.

As predicted, the GFS has gone in a poor direction based on its own interpretations.  We still have the Euro on our side, but right now it is alone in terms of a stronger and further NW solution, by far.  The NAM is halfway in-between the two and considerably faster than the GFS.  I tend to side with the NAM here, for now.  It's a split and it nailed the far faster movement with the shortwave we had this morning.

Obviously, lots of ways this can still swing.  Range of possibilities from 1" to 12" .. how's that for a forecast? :tomato:

3.5” officially recorded bringing the season total to just over 32”

Looks like this was recorded primarily between 10 and 2. So not that dissimilar to last week....but much much lower impact coming in the middle of the night. Also it looks like it fell on to a much warmer ground, and so road cleanup was easier.

Hasnt turned out to be completely horrible this winter...a 6”+ snowfall Sunday would really help the overall feeling of this season. The NWS “experimental” probabilistic forecast puts this at about a 40-50% chance for most locations.

45 minutes ago, Burghblizz said:

3.5” officially recorded bringing the season total to just over 32”

Looks like this was recorded primarily between 10 and 2. So not that dissimilar to last week....but much much lower impact coming in the middle of the night. Also it looks like it fell on to a much warmer ground, and so road cleanup was easier.

Hasnt turned out to be completely horrible this winter...a 6”+ snowfall Sunday would really help the overall feeling of this season. The NWS “experimental” probabilistic forecast puts this at about a 40-50% chance for most locations.

This has NOT been a god winter....

Just now, Rd9108 said:

I imagine the euro will come south today. 

2-4 inches...which is our speciality here. I’d honestly rather get nothing at this point. I have things to do Sunday, and this won’t be enough snow to cancel plans but enough to make it a pain in my butt to get around.

4 minutes ago, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Still looks decent but that map is the Kuchera ratios, last couple we saw were 10:1, looking at that same algorithm it is clear we are getting less QPF, but track looks similar. My guess is it's less amped which could open the door for more SE adjustment. 

Unfortunately that is a risk. 

We’ll have to hope the Saturday wave can be a bit weaker, then we’re right back in the warning level amounts. 

26 minutes ago, jwilson said:

Euro still considerably less impressive than it was (cutting totals in half or more).

Honestly, at this time I'm over the nuisance snows.  I'm big game hunting.  If we can't get a big one, then I don't really care if the GFS verifies and we get flurries.

I also think the earlier runs of the EURO from the past few days had last night's storm in the totals so we are now deducting those out since the event has passed.

1 hour ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Unfortunately that is a risk. 

We’ll have to hope the Saturday wave can be a bit weaker, then we’re right back in the warning level amounts. 

Weaker, faster or all of the above would do. I think we should be out of the woods on a to far NW track at this point. 

NWS call for 4-6 if verified would be "acceptable". We should never punt any event that could give 5+ in this area. Personally I'd like to see WSW with 5-8, which is doable, but with the speed and it being an open wave we can only expect so much.

Watching the surface panels is excruciating.. I keep waiting for it to turn the corner but just keeps sliding ENE.