Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
✨Pittsburgh PA ❄ Winter 2018-2019

north pgh

11 minutes ago, CoraopolisWx said:

Euro nudged south a bit. Hopefully the trend continues.

Going to need a couple more nudges.. but Euro is the northern envelope of other guidance, so even a 70/30 split would probably be a solid hit.

It is almost sickening to keep seeing this type of track though! One of these years we have to get stuck in a setup that constantly bulls-eyes SWPA right? Right!? lol

59fed06eab43bb95410f74a06111830e.jpg

Just now, RitualOfTheTrout said:

Going to need a couple more nudges.. but Euro is the northern envelope of other guidance, so even a 70/30 split would probably be a solid hit.

It is almost sickening to keep seeing this type of track though! One of these years we have to get stuck in a setup that constantly bulls-eyes SWPA right? Right!? lol

59fed06eab43bb95410f74a06111830e.jpg

Naw we know that's what will happen. It will keep trending south. We will get really excited, I'll start posting every model picture that Jack pots us. Then 48 hours out we will start getting a north trend and some models will give us hope but the GFS will show that exact outcome above. We will say the gfs is off its rocker, but in the end it will be right. 

NAVGEM looks like the Euro, which IMO is a bad sign.  It has a progressive bias, so it is unusual to see an amped signal there.

Normally I wouldn't care, and back in January the Euro lost to the GFS, but I'm hesitant to bet against it twice.

It largely depends on how amped the Friday storm gets north of us.  My non-scientific analysis: pick whichever result looks worse for us and bet on that one.

The NAM gives us a little powder bomb early morning Friday (2-3").  No other models are on board, though.  FV3 is nothing.  GFS and ICON are a dusting.  CMC tries to get southern Allegheny an inch.  High-res NAM is drier (looks like a ridge special).  Appears it will depend how moisture deprived the system is with a high sitting nearby.

At least we have some wiggle room for the Sunday storm to come north (unless you're the Euro, of course).  Better that than it being a cutter, but of course given the preceding low, we could easily miss the sweet spot thanks to suppression.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jwilson said:

The NAM gives us a little powder bomb early morning Friday (2-3").  No other models are on board, though.  FV3 is nothing.  GFS and ICON are a dusting.  CMC tries to get southern Allegheny an inch.  High-res NAM is drier (looks like a ridge special).  Appears it will depend how moisture deprived the system is with a high sitting nearby.

At least we have some wiggle room for the Sunday storm to come north (unless you're the Euro, of course).  Better that than it being a cutter, but of course given the preceding low, we could easily miss the sweet spot thanks to suppression.

Earlier WPC discussions are not accounting for the NAM. Pretty much just marking it as an outlier at this point. Of course they are. The one that gives us quick 2-3 is the disregarded outlier.

1 minute ago, MikeB_01 said:

Pretty interesting changes on the 00z GFS thru hour 90. Wouldnt be surprised if it looks more like the euro by the time this run is done

Well the surface map didn't change much, but the pieces in play at the H5 certainly did. Notice the change of the ULL to the north. There is a pretty significant shift back to the west. Or at the very least, a less impressive eastern piece.

gfs_z500_vort_us_fh96_trend.gif

7 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Earlier WPC discussions are not accounting for the NAM. Pretty much just marking it as an outlier at this point. Of course they are. The one that gives us quick 2-3 is the disregarded outlier.

15 hours ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

What about Friday morning??

Just cycling through all the latest model runs, they all give us somewhere between 1-3 for Friday now (NAM close to 4) so I guess it warrants a bit more attention.  Yesterday I pretty much had it written off.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Rd9108 said:

Up listening to the radio so I finally got to look at the 0z models. Euro looks great for a foot of snow but it's still a few days out and we could still see some changes. 

Euro looks the best right now, just about a perfect track. Other guidance is a bit further SE. Really only thing limiting this is how fast its moving through.

1396911646_download(17).thumb.png.9099e1d05ee646d43a518597c3269edc.png

11 hours ago, MikeB_01 said:

Funnily enough, all the overnight models pretty much caved to it.  NAM leading the way.  Looks like a fair 1-3" event overnight.  Could make tomorrow morning's commute a mess.

Still not in comfortable range for Sunday.  The NAM at distance - so take it with a grain of salt, of course - looks a good bit different than the others (GFS bounced a bit south from 0Z at 6Z).

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Burghblizz said:

NAM taken literally tonight is similar to last week in that it’s 3-4” in only a few hours. Although it looks to be more in the overnight hours. Don’t think this system is as dynamic, but it could be interesting for a couple inches.

Yeah it looks solid on the NAM. Only thing to be careful of is tonight gets to strong, it may help shove the boundary for Sunday system further South keeping us out of the heavier snow. Probably nothing to worry about just yet, but I will be keeping an eye on that today during 12z to see if the track shifts SE again.

1 hour ago, ChalkHillSnowNut said:

I’ve been asking about tomorrow for a few days as the central thread was posting about it-I hope it doesn’t get too warm for Sunday’s system

Yeah this threat has been getting better and better over the last 24 hours or so really. It sort of evaporated for awhile so I lost interest and shifted to Sunday / Monday. Given how things look now I'd think your location and elevation would do well with this one.