Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA Fall 2018

pasnownut

On 12/16/2018 at 3:36 PM, Blizzard of 93 said:

This pattern is not as bad as everyone thinks.

I think this place will be busy by next weekend!

It is currently 51 degrees and my neighbor is mowing her lawn.    Pretty bad for Mid December.  Potential is there for this to go down as one of the worst Decembers in Winter Weather history for this area.  Still looking at late January before winter arrives.

Edited to add that my statement applies only to December and the phrase Winter Weather is meant to convey precipitation events which would consist of snow, sleet or freezing rain. It has certainly not been a warm December though we are close to average so not a cold one either.  I was also mostly thinking about Eastern PA as an area context for my statement.

52 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

It is currently 51 degrees and my neighbor is mowing her lawn.    Pretty bad for Mid December.  Potential is there for this to go down as one of the worst Decembers in Winter Weather history for this area.  Still looking at late January before winter arrives.

Wow.  Some of us have WAY different ideas of "worse".  That is quite a bold statement alright, and one that by December standards, is not true (assuming you like cold/winter type weather).  

I for one, love winter, and feel this December has been far more tolerable that many.  

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Wow.  Some of us have WAY different ideas of "worse".  That is quite a bold statement alright, and one that by December standards, is not true (assuming you like cold/winter type weather).  

I for one, love winter, and feel this December has been far more tolerable that many.  

Totally agree with you. 

I believe the calls of a historic winter plus having a significant snowfall so early in the season have raised a lot of unrealistic expectations. Sure...it's a disappointing stretch snow-wise right now but we've been below normal temps for the 1st half of the month. You and I both know it could be WAY worse...

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

15 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Totally agree with you. 

I believe the calls of a historic winter plus having a significant snowfall so early in the season have raised a lot of unrealistic expectations. Sure...it's a disappointing stretch snow-wise right now but we've been below normal temps for the 1st half of the month. You and I both know it could be WAY worse...

we don't have to look so far in to the past either to find worse Decembers. 

27 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

we don't have to look so far in to the past either to find worse Decembers. 

We are almost all here for snow....the total amount of snow so far this December has been a trace and the prospect that it does not budge off that trace is now open for a possibility.  Add to that several days in the 50's, at least one 60's and an outside chance for 65 late this week and not sure how it could be much worse considering the want for winter weather.  The statement was made in the context of sustained chances for snow of which there have been almost none.  

1 minute ago, bubbler86 said:

We are almost all here for snow....the total amount of snow so far this December has been a trace and the prospect that it does not budge off that trace is now open for a possibility.  Add to that several days in the 50's, at least one 60's and an outside chance for 70 late this week and not sure how it could be much worse considering the want for winter weather.

a trace? 8.8"

41 minutes ago, Itstrainingtime said:

Totally agree with you. 

You said it better than I did. 

Yeah, the early start probably set false expectations of "wall to wall" and the like.  ANY snow, OCT through mid Dec is climatoligical bonus snow, as we only average around 3-4" in my area.  While December has by and large been a dud, snow wise, it has been a normalish one and likely will finish close (yes i saw todays maps) to normal or slightly above, but no Blowtorch, and even if a couple days break warm we all know that Jan. is typiccally go time in Nino years. 

1 minute ago, bubbler86 said:

That was November not December.  :-).

Yes it was, but no matter, snow is only 1 facet of what many deem "good" by winter standards.  Those of us who sit on the realist side of forecasting/prognostication know better than to ever bet big on Dec. snows....as even with house money you'd look like a fool.  Dec snow is not so good around here, but if you look up north/west, theyve had quite a stretch of snow on the ground aready, and it has snowed multiple times W and N of the LSV. 

Maybe you should restate IMBY winter has sucked, cause that may be the case.  Thats all i'm driving at.

2 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Exactly.  You also nailed it.  2015 should be fresh in the minds of many (head starts to tick as i type).  

It actually snowed on 3 separate days in December 2015.  All trace amounts but could end up beating this December.  Temps of course were much warmer but I guess it is all context.  This forum would not exist if we were tracking days above and below normal temp wise...its all about the snow/extreme weather.  I am sure it has happened before but having one day in December with snow, basically losing the first month of meteorological winter, puts it down as a bad month for me. 

1 minute ago, pasnownut said:

Yes it was, but no matter, snow is only 1 facet of what many deem "good" by winter standards.  Those of us who sit on the realist side of forecasting/prognostication know better than to ever bet big on Dec. snows....as even with house money you'd look like a fool.  Dec snow is not so good around here, but if you look up north/west, theyve had quite a stretch of snow on the ground aready, and it has snowed multiple times W and N of the LSV. 

Maybe you should restate IMBY winter has sucked, cause that may be the case.  Thats all i'm driving at.

Yea, my statement is certainly specific to the LSV but really it applies to most of the populated North East as it pertains to snow.  Not really going to consider the lake driven snow belts. 

2 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

yes, i stand corrected. 

i don't see 65 this week either, but what do i know. 

Yea, 65 was an outside chance but appears to be a decent chance at 60 on Friday.  Popped to 52 here today.  My grass started growing again which is what brought on my comment when someone else said something along the lines of "This pattern is not too bad".  It has been terrible for snow.  Just scanned back 10 Decembers and not one had a whole Dec with no snow.  We have 13 days to go which as why I said potential as anything could happen but we are setup right now for one of, if not the, least snowiest Decembers ever.   

14 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

Just da facts....

:whistle:

sfav2_CONUS_2018093012_to_2018121712.png

Again, not sure why this is being missed, I said December...not November.  That map is October to Dec and is almost wholly made up of the one November storm as it pertains to areas of PA east of the mountains.  The Northern Southeast has had a positive December for snow and NY appears to be doing fairly well. 

18 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Again, not sure why this is being missed, I said December...not November.  That map is October to Dec and is almost wholly made up of the one November storm though the Northern Southeast has had a positive December for snow.  

I get that, but that map represents the northeast....to which you lumped into your bag of coal....."my statement is certainly specific to the LSV but really it applies to most of the populated North East as it pertains to snow"

That map is also representative of frequent snows outside of your location to the North and west and NE of you as well as the entire Northeast.

Carry on......

Just now, pasnownut said:

I get that, but that map represents the northeast....to which you lumped into your bag of coal.....

That map is also representative of frequent snows outside of your location to the North and west and NE of you as well as the entire Northeast.

Carry on......

Well I said the populated Northeast which is ambiguous but to me means "the big cities."   I obviously hit a nerve here and I apologize for that.  I edited my original post and will be more concise here in stating that many of the reporting stations in Eastern PA have had only trace or no snow reports for the month of December and the POTENTIAL exists for that to still be the fact when the month has ended which would make this December one of the least snowiest Decembers, for those stations, in the history of weather reporting.

18 minutes ago, bubbler86 said:

Well I said the populated Northeast which is ambiguous but to me means "the big cities."   I obviously hit a nerve here and I apologize for that.  I edited my original post and will be more concise here in stating that many of the reporting stations in Eastern PA have had only trace or no snow reports for the month of December and the POTENTIAL exists for that to still be the fact when the month has ended which would make this December one of the least snowiest Decembers, for those stations, in the history of weather reporting.

No nerve and it’s all good. It’s also about perception and to that we can disagree. No problem. Just find blanket statements can be misleading when talking bout “our” precious snow. That’s all. NE forum has been enjoying a great start so you caught me off guard a bit. To your point yeah I guess coastal locals have been less rewarded.  

If you show that map I posted any year ever regarding % vs climo...any snowbound would take no questions asked.  That’s part of the perception I was referring to. To me 1 snow event with it lasting for days or weeks as this last event did Is still a great start to winter.  I got half as much as you in the first event and it was all pure bonus to me. Just don’t expect much here. Im sure you get that. 

Looking forward to Jan and a hopefully snowier look. 

7 minutes ago, pasnownut said:

No nerve and it’s all good. It’s also about perception and to that we can disagree. No problem. Just find blanket statements can be misleading when talking bout “our” precious snow. That’s all. NE forum has been enjoying a great start so you caught me off guard a bit. To your point yeah I guess coastal locals have been less rewarded.  

If you show that map I posted any year ever regarding % vs climo...any snowbound would take no questions asked.  That’s part of the perception I was referring to. To me 1 snow event with it lasting for days or weeks as this last event did Is still a great start to winter.  I got half as much as you in the first event and it was all pure bonus to me. Just don’t expect much here. Im sure you get that. 

Looking forward to Jan and a hopefully snowier look. 

...and I think some issue is picking which forum to post in.  My back yard is just west of the LSV but I would still call myself South Central PA which is actually listed as an area for the Philly forum but in the past I have always posted and read here and I know many people here are actually much closer to Philly but pick this forum.  So if someone in Central NY read my post they would call balderdash like you are suggesting.  When I said "this area" in the original post I meant the area I was typing from but it could have been construed as the area the forum covers, my bad.

Getting shut out of snow in December does sting (and it's looking somewhat likely - Christmas Eve has a potential storm but I don't see cold air enough to bring snow). But our snow months seem to be late, late January, mid February and March these days and December seems to always be a weird month.

It's been chilly at least.