Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE Summer 2018 OBS Thread

Rtd208

25 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Checking in from western Lancaster county - sitting at 8.3" since Saturday. Just about 25 miles to my north the totals are now into double-digit range. Any additional rain is not needed and unwelcome. There are many, many road closures and water rescues ongoing. For those of you who have been lamenting the fact that the heaviest rains continued to miss you to the west the past couple of days...be careful what you wish for. It is not a good situation around here at all.

Hope the shift east gives Lancaster Co some relief.  Stay safe.

I've been in a training rain event several years ago, also with numerous water rescues and flooding in places never seen before, it's not fun at all.

Just now, Lady Di said:

Hope the shift east gives Lancaster Co some relief.  Stay safe.

I've been in a training rain event several years ago, also with numerous water rescues and flooding in places never seen before, it's not fun at all.

Thanks...my wife and I had to go to googlemaps this morning to try and find an open route to work. First 4-5 options were all closed. It's an inconvenience for us but for those along waterways it's obviously a really big deal. 

41 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Thanks...my wife and I had to go to googlemaps this morning to try and find an open route to work. First 4-5 options were all closed. It's an inconvenience for us but for those along waterways it's obviously a really big deal. 

Dittoing Lady Di's remark to "stay safe".  With all the confluences of rivers and large creeks over there (like the Swatara, that has been mentioned in the news quite a bit), it can mean nothing but trouble.  Have been through the "all roads closed" fiasco back when Floyd hit in '99.  A normal 40 minute, 12 mile trip took over 3 hours, literally winding through the flooding city streets in Philly, to work my way NW to where I lived.

As an obs update, I got another brief shower to up the ante another 0.01" to 0.31" for the day so far at post time (1.68" running 4-day total).  So far the rain has generally been spread out enough to have the ground get a good soaking without all the runoff.  Current temp is 78.  My potted tropical plants feel right at home!

1 hour ago, The Iceman said:

I'd take that in a minute. Beats the hell out of the dull summer we ve had so far.

I'm right there with you. It's why we are weather enthusiasts. Anomalous and historical weather is what a lot of us crave. I, for the most part, hate winter, and even snow, but...if the potential is there, then I want a blizzard. It's no different with the warmer seasons. Severe storms, training rain events, hurricanes...etc. I love following and tracking them, and even more-so, experiencing them when they happen.

Thought the radar would be more active by this time? (unless things blossom) Some stuff in S Del moving up in time...DP's still nutty high, 75F currently.

*Grass is the greenest I can remember for late July. Years past, usually somewhat brown and somewhat crunchy by this time....garden is loving life getting a drink every couple hours if not every hour.

Picked up 0.75" additional in about 40 minutes from that last batch. 5 day total is 5.85", it's been spread out enough so that the biggest impact here (so far) is putting our project on the back burner for a few days. All the water piping and conduit was in as of last Friday, still have some drainage to do along with lawn rehab, lol. The second pic partially shows a trenched area we seeded a week ago, with the frost blanket hopefully protecting the seed from getting washed away. We peeked and yes there is grass under there :).Rain-7-25-18-b.thumb.jpg.b4b63669165b908157836a22ed3c91e4.jpgRain-7-25-18-a.thumb.jpg.8368305479fc4f938061c297917612a8.jpg

Just now, Rtd208 said:

Severe Thunderstorm Watch up for the area until 10:00 pm and a pretty large one as well, covers alot of territory. 

Severe Thunderstorm Watch

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH OUTLINE UPDATE FOR WS 312
NWS STORM PREDICTION CENTER NORMAN OK
120 PM EDT FRI JUL 27 2018

SEVERE THUNDERSTORM WATCH 312 IS IN EFFECT UNTIL 1000 PM EDT
FOR THE FOLLOWING LOCATIONS

PAC001-011-017-025-029-041-043-045-055-069-071-075-077-079-089-
091-095-099-101-103-107-127-133-280200-
/O.NEW.KWNS.SV.A.0312.180727T1720Z-180728T0200Z/

PA
.    PENNSYLVANIA COUNTIES INCLUDED ARE

ADAMS                BERKS               BUCKS
CARBON               CHESTER             CUMBERLAND
DAUPHIN              DELAWARE            FRANKLIN
LACKAWANNA           LANCASTER           LEBANON
LEHIGH               LUZERNE             MONROE
MONTGOMERY           NORTHAMPTON         PERRY
PHILADELPHIA         PIKE                SCHUYLKILL
WAYNE                YORK
$$

SPS-generated.

Current temp here is 87 and mostly cloudy with dps in the 70s.