• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate/Eastern New York

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

I would not take those snowfall outputs literally. Have you guys seen the 2M temps during the time of "snowfall". We are going to need this system to "create" it's own cold air as there is currently no source of it. It rarely happens in Upstate, more common in dynamic systems within Nor'Easters. 

Gon be low ratios but the Omega is screaming so this would produce some decent dynamic cooling if it verified.  Best guess is this would be between 8:1 and 10:1...

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
5 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Taking the NAM over the Euro? 

Just going with my gut honestly lol. Been too busy to even pay much attention to models. Is nice to have something to track though. Was in Florida last week, 90 degrees almost every day. Record heat there, felt absolutely fantastic and had me wanting summer for sure, but I surely wouldn’t pass up on a nice snowstorm (6”+).

1 minute ago, WesterlyWx said:

Just going with my gut honestly lol. Been too busy honestly to even pay much attention to models. Is nice to have something to track though. Was in Florida last week, 90 degrees almost every day, record heat there, felt absolutely fantastic and had me wanting summer for sure, but I surely wouldn’t pass up on a nice snowstorm (6”+).

I canceled my Hawaii trip for next month, going to Iceland in summer instead and Miami in April. Today felt great, but can definitely use a little more winter before we close it out. This type of set-up is very rare for this area. It's like an Oct 2006 but in the synoptic variety. There is also the potential for a lake enhanced event following it. 

1 minute ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Yeah I know but its the NAM and its fun to make fun of it. ^_^

What are your thoughts on this storm in terms of thermals?

It's a really tough system to forecast because it all depends on the dynamics, and everything I have looked at would tell me snow, for where I am, after say 09Z Friday which would still produce 8-10" of snow even with ratios in the 8-10" range.  

The one thing we may be forgetting is the fact that we have quite a bit of phase changes going on and that usually causes havoc on our precious atmosphere but I digress and think the majority of the precip should fall as rn/sn mix here in So Oswego but may well be a raging snowstorm in the hills in So. Onondaga county so there's a huge bust potential with this system.

I'd expect the thermals to either head one way or the other and not stay in the middle. When you have a SLP, H850 LP and the H700 LP all traversing your area to your South by 300 miles and it rains, especially in Early March, then something is seriously wrong!

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

Either way, this thing has incredible dynamics. One of the most fun storms to track in awhile, no matter the outcome. It's a very rare occurrence to see this type of storm. 

Agree. And I’m still skeptical as it’s still early in the game. It’s like having a one run lead in the middle innings with the starter nearing 100 pitches and the Mets bullpen looming...to use a spring analogy from my team... :axe:

3 minutes ago, BuffaloWeather said:

4.5" of QPF over Rochester with most of it being in frozen variety less then 48 hours out. Don't think I've ever seen that. .01% chance of that happening, especially with no lake influences. 

namconus_apcpn_neus_28.png

Just Stupid is all I have to say and 2/3rds of that would be rain!

On top of this being a truly anomalous storm track, cutting across central PA like it is, it basically closes off right over C PA and heads due East, so its stacking just to our South, and slowly to boot, because of the downstream blocking that's developing.

I wanna be Dave right now and wish for the best, but I have been burned way too many times this season and it has made me very apprehensive to choosing a particular Global model or Mesoscale or short range model so I'll be optimistic and stay that way till thursday 18Z and especially Friday's 00Z run will or shall I say should put the nail in the coffin!

Archived