• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 12th-13th Winter Storm Obs/Pics.

John1122

• Replies 114
  • Created
  • Last Reply

My temp had dropped 3 degrees in the last 10 minutes. Front is east of me somewhere. Gonna have a long wait in the dry slot to even hope we return to snow. JKL update a few minutes ago was confident their entire forecast area sees 1-3 inches from the deformation band after 7 pm tonight. Hopefully that translates down to my area as well. I'm really hoping for a solid inch.

Northern Middle Tennessee is performing a little better than recent HRRR runs. Perhaps 12Z stuff was better, but really after 15Z we should be nowcasting with radar and satellite anyway.

My theory on diminishing returns on more recent HRRR runs (not the first time) is the HRRR ingests radar data, which is obviously good 90% of the time. However we saw on 12Z NWP (and reality) that the deformation zone/comma head would break up a bit before consolidating again Mid-Tenn. Midday weakening in real life and on radar ingested into the HRRR of course. 

Meanwhile the heart of the TROWAL is in Kentucky. The WAA from the northeast is still getting northern Mid-Tenn. Nashville southern suburbs may need a miracle though. 18Z NAM (initialized right before real-life radar decay) gives it the old college try.

Separately, a little curl is noted on visible satellite in North Alabama, heading toward Chattanooga. No way!

Remember, for everybody, climo snow is actually better after climo temp min 12-18 Jan. In other words, I figure we have some more chances.

Also good to remember that models are really designed to show the most likely options.  An slp west of the Apps and one east of the Apps were both shown.  We likely will get both.  It was pretty obvious that the models struggled with which scenario to grab hold of.  The SE jog stopped at around 18z yesterday and started back NW.  Still pretty awesome that we can model that with computer code.   With that big hp out in front, the system was forced north.  

Wonder if anyone in Northern Alabama on the forum has seen any snow as being reported on radar.  Almost to Huntsville area, pretty decent returns if one is under one it appears.  That little section of precip down there has been pretty persistent even with drying in the comma head in between Nash and AL/TN border.

50 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Northern Middle Tennessee is performing a little better than recent HRRR runs. Perhaps 12Z stuff was better, but really after 15Z we should be nowcasting with radar and satellite anyway.

My theory on diminishing returns on more recent HRRR runs (not the first time) is the HRRR ingests radar data, which is obviously good 90% of the time. However we saw on 12Z NWP (and reality) that the deformation zone/comma head would break up a bit before consolidating again Mid-Tenn. Midday weakening in real life and on radar ingested into the HRRR of course. 

Meanwhile the heart of the TROWAL is in Kentucky. The WAA from the northeast is still getting northern Mid-Tenn. Nashville southern suburbs may need a miracle though. 18Z NAM (initialized right before real-life radar decay) gives it the old college try.

Separately, a little curl is noted on visible satellite in North Alabama, heading toward Chattanooga. No way!

Remember, for everybody, climo snow is actually better after climo temp min 12-18 Jan. In other words, I figure we have some more chances.

Maybe more chances sooner than later.  :) Thanks for all your efforts on the board.  It's great having someone as knowledgeable as you on our forum.   

Fascinating system today across the mid-south.  There are always going to be winners and losers when it comes to snow.  Congrats to those seeing the white stuff.   Hope that band holds together over middle TN and gets our White House, Portland, and Gallatin (I grew up there and have family and friends there) friends with a quick couple of inches! 

We never see people having disagreements about getting .2 inches of rain instead of .4   ..........  just a random thought.

Surprised you haven't turned your attention to the storm for Tuesday/Wednesday.  The way the Euro is trending at 500, could be a decent snow for Chattanooga.  I guess we need other modeling on board to get too excited, but there was a notable bump in snowy solutions on the Euro individuals.  

Good luck with the "curl"

19 minutes ago, ShawnEastTN said:

Wonder if anyone in Northern Alabama on the forum has seen any snow as being reported on radar.  Almost to Huntsville area, pretty decent returns if one is under one it appears.  That little section of precip down there has been pretty persistent even with drying in the comma head in between Nash and AL/TN border.

Graupel in city of Guntersville and snow flurries on lake Guntersville.

Archived