SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Nearing the 2nd half of Meteorological winter:

Typhoon Tip

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Idk if it's already been discussed, but methinks that, ultimately, the big problem is the kicker shortwave coming in from the Pacific. That thing means business and pushes the pattern so quick this thing never has a chance to dig and go negative... in fact, the trough gets more positively tilted on the 00z GFS as time progresses

We need that s/w to be much weaker and/or to tilt negatively off the west coast allowing it to pump the ridge rather than kick it eastward

1 hour ago, weatherbear5 said:

Idk if it's already been discussed, but methinks that, ultimately, the big problem is the kicker shortwave coming in from the Pacific. That thing means business and pushes the pattern so quick this thing never has a chance to dig and go negative... in fact, the trough gets more positively tilted on the 00z GFS as time progresses

We need that s/w to be much weaker and/or to tilt negatively off the west coast allowing it to pump the ridge rather than kick it eastward

I agree...said the same thing on my blog.

2 minutes ago, weathafella said:

Euro=nuke

I was going to say, it looked like it was a much better solution through 144... much sharper trough axis tilted near neutral at the coast... looks like it cuts the energy from the Pacfic under the ridge rather than having it shunt it eastward super quickly.

heck, I can't see precip but I'd imagine it even gets going fast enough for NYC... can anyone confirm though?

5 minutes ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I saw it going further south and got giddy, but wasn't sure what to make of H5 being open for so long..

I was surprised how far north the ULL closed off... just looking at the vorticity maps, I would have imagined it closed off further south. Oh well, just shows that the threat is still on the table, just have to wait out the next several days

1 hour ago, ice1972 said:

What in the world?

Way too soon to fret over virtual snowfall accumulations for any specific area.

It's highly unlikely that it will verify verbatim at 6 days out.  Right now,  just be encouraged that you/we have one model run showing potential for a significant system affecting the NE...at least for the next 12 hours. :)  Plenty of time for substantial adjustments in track or even complete dissolution of the pseudo "low", altogether.  

Edit:  Like you, and most here, I'll be hoping this potential threat persists on the EURO, and other guidance latches on to it, as well.  I'd love a return trip to SNE in about a weeks time.  If it does manifest itself, and I do choose to chase it, I might be looking for a new residence while I'm there...as it's quite possible my wife will be changing the locks on the one, here!

Archived