Newest Member
    joxey
Central PA - Jan/Feb 2018

MAG5035

• Replies 1.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
19 minutes ago, sauss06 said:

i had a prop..............frosty 12oz Miller High Life. The Champagne of beers :D 

LMAO.  a very nice one as well.  You should be a proud pappa!

BWT, i have like 4 miller high life tshirts...and 2 say just that.  The champagne of beers.  Its been my beer for 10 yrs.  Thats just too funny.

Horst going 2"-4" with the highest totals in the Solanco hills.
He is really banging the 70 degree drum for next Tuesday and Wednesday. (York hit 70 yesterday) I personally think we'll get into the 72-74 degree range. 
Great pic Jon! 

I love the volatility of weather patterns. Warm then a few inches of snow then warm again.

22 minutes ago, snowalot said:

I cranked ac in my car yesterday. Yeah I hate mugginess, heat, hot, etc. Hopefully after next week we return to winter.

I've had the AC in the car on since the beginning of February. As much as I despise heat i actually hate car heat even more. Ever since I was a kid I've gotten sick with car heat blowing on me. When it is truly cold in the car I run the heat on defrost so that the warm air isn't blowing on me. 

FWIW the CMC and ICON have joined the party for 12z.  GFS still out to lunch.  I'd say enough of a consensus that barring any craziness, were going to pull of a Saturday night special for central/eastern locals.  Beer pics coming tomorrow  

I’ll have my Troegs Troegenator, or Victory Golden Monkey going.

As mentioned above, CTP is not impressed as of yet. Maybe at the 3 p.m. crew comes in they'll adjust things because the discussion mentions possiblity of 2-4.

Saturday
SATURDAY Snow likely, mainly after 4pm. Increasing clouds, with a high near 39. Calm wind becoming southeast around 6 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation is 70%. New snow accumulation of less than one inch possible.
Saturday Night
SATURDAY NIGHT Snow before 1am, then a slight chance of snow showers between 1am and 4am. Low around 29. South wind around 5 mph becoming calm in the evening. Chance of precipitation is 80%.
Sunday
SUNDAY Sunny, with a high near 46. Calm wind becoming west around 6 mph in the afternoon.

52 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

Horst going 2"-4" with the highest totals in the Solanco hills.

He is really banging the 70 degree drum for next Tuesday and Wednesday. (York hit 70 yesterday) I personally think we'll get into the 72-74 degree range. 

Great pic Jon! 

2-4" is ok, we can nickel and dime our way to seasonal

Its looking like it next week. The thing i always get concerned with when the temps spike in the late winter is what it does to the plants. My wife said yesterday our one lilac has buds.  

Just now, sauss06 said:

2-4" is ok, we can nickel and dime our way to seasonal

Its looking like it next week. The thing i always get concerned with when the temps spike in the late winter is what it does to the plants. My wife said yesterday our one lilac has buds.  

Horst now saying 1"-4", sighting warm ground temperatures limiting accumulations...

We went through that last year with some of our plants. One of the casualties of early warm-ups. I'm checking our lilacs when I get home today. 

24 minutes ago, maytownpawx said:

I've had the AC in the car on since the beginning of February. As much as I despise heat i actually hate car heat even more. Ever since I was a kid I've gotten sick with car heat blowing on me. When it is truly cold in the car I run the heat on defrost so that the warm air isn't blowing on me. 

The windows in my Tahoe are down almost all the time. Unless Mrs. Sauss is along. My daughter is same way, and we give her hell all the time as she opens her bedroom windows 

5 hours ago, maytownpawx said:

Hmm, in either 2015 or 2016 it was super warm on Christmas Eve. It felt very strange going to bed that night with the air running. My wife was like "do we really need the air running on Christmas Eve" and I'm saying does it really matter what the date is if it's a sauna in the house?

At any rate, it's a beautifully damp fall morning outside. Here's hoping for good model runs at 12z today...

Damp?

I have a river running through my yard :P

1 hour ago, maytownpawx said:

Horst now saying 1"-4", sighting warm ground temperatures limiting accumulations...

We went through that last year with some of our plants. One of the casualties of early warm-ups. I'm checking our lilacs when I get home today. 

NWS State College also stating that air and ground temps at start of precip may limit accumulations but I am not so sure that will be much of an issue given the vertical temperature profile throughout this event.  Maybe it will be true at first closer to Lancaster and to the south and east but I have seen far too often here around Harrisburg that once we get that southeasterly wind tomorrow it becomes overcast pretty quickly and temperatures fail to reach forecast highs.  With dew point temperatures falling tonight with high pressure building I want to see how overnight lows dip tonight and what happens with the current saturated soil.  This could play a big role in if ground temperatures do limit accumulations or not.  I have never tracked it for verification, especially after recent soaking rainfall, but the models all seem to have soil temperatures below 32F across nearly the whole state by tomorrow morning.  Also, worth noting that precipitable water values for tomorrow are projected to be nearly 2 standard deviations above normal for February which is great to have when looking at a snow event!

Euro wasn't too bad for most of the subforum, 2 or so up through wsptwx and 2001kx and generally 3-4" for the LSV (10:1 map). Kuchera and Cobb maps were fairly close to the 10-1 output in our region. 15z SREFs were very robust on QPF and snowfall in the region. Even Willamsport had almost a 5 inch snowfall mean. They're probably a bit too amped up, but the vast majority of SREF members were showing decent numbers to make up that mean (not a few large outliers skewing the mean). The NAM's newfound stinginess on QPF distribution across the subforum today is probably a bit much, I kinda like the Euro's look. Edit: 3k NAM at 18z looks a little more back in line with things. 

We're probably looking at a general 1-3" for most of central PA and the chance for a zone of 3-5" in the southern tier Sus Valley where the best moisture influx and forcing seems to be being progged. Given the moisture source region this system could certainly end up wetter or a bit further north still as well. 

Archived