Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Speculation 17/18 -December Thread

AMZ8990

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
39 minutes ago, nrgjeff said:

Either one of us could be right. I do not notice much divergence anyway. Timing is always up in the air.

Agree the GEFS is blowing the MJO. In other news the winter of 1996 keeps coming up. Regrettably the goods never made is much south of I-40; so, I am trying to avoid that year.

For next week, GFS op is digging/ginning the system way too fast. My guess, 12Z Euro keeps the wave meh for our Region. Carolinas maybe, but the GFS is about as believable as Mueller. Oops! I'm still posting on tilt after a Twilight Zone week, but at least Wichita State is back on track.

Assuming you mean the timing of cold?  I can definitely see a real scenario where the -EPO overwhelms the NA pattern and things get cold earlier and the duration is longer.   The overnight EPS mades some slight corrections eastward w/ the cold pool in Canada which I suspect could deepen and dig further south.  Thanks for the insight as well.

As for my Vols...they travel to Iowa St over the weekend in one of the SEC vs Big 12 matchups.  Tough road trip in the middle of the conference schedule.  That win over Purdue is looking better and better.  Definite trap game much like this thaw that we are in the middle of at present.  

I see the remote possibility to complete a snow hail mary overnight (after midnight) Sunday and into Monday for far east TN, northeast TN and SW VA only (including mountains).  I only mention it b/c it's so close in time and I have had a general lack of sleep this week, so it's possible I am hallucinating.....lol. 

Speaking of sleep,  I wouldn't sleep on re-development of precip with a trailing piece of energy early Monday morning, until around the lunchtime hour (as shown by the last 2 runs of the UKMET).  Timing would be optimal as shown on 12z, with precip re-developing and blossoming during the early morning hours Monday.  As shown, it's rain. It's also shown to a lesser extent on the Euro and GEFS. 

Temps are indicated by modeling to be in the lower to middle 30's at the surface.  I can't see much involving the upper levels with the UKMET, but just the development and radar presentation intrigues me and make me feel like temps and upper levels won't be too far off for a possible surprise.  The UKMET shows around an inch of QPF in the 12 hours from 1am to 1pm Monday!

Now, for the hail mary. ......I am only mentioning it because I have seen marginal situations like this modeled....... and forecast with surface temps projected to rise into the low 40's (which UKMET modeling shows northeast TN getting to by 1pm) never making it to the 40's. Heavy rain to heavy snow possible?

Ok, I will put my crack pipe down..............All in all, likely going to be too warm for anything other than rain, but we'd certainly take the rain around here too.  We have been so dry, anytime you can get a soaking rain, followed by a secondary burst you take it!

This still feels like a cold chasing the moisture scenario on the GFS but it is a really a consistent solution. It seems like an odd scenario. The 500mb energy is mostly west and northwest or us but the low level cold races to the east and undercuts the moisture.

I’m very skeptical of this solution happening. I can see this trend to the northwest as more model runs come in.

I will also add that the 12z EPS is showing noticeable signs at days 13-15 of dropping the trough southeast into the eastern half of NA.  Looks a bit deeper...and that is a good trend for a change....actually the trend began overnight.  So, looks like a cold shot from Feb 3-5, then a warm-up and then maybe the motherload mid-month?  The battle lines where overrunning would occur would be over the TN Valley forum area.  Nice trends.  As usual, Jeff is on the money.

1 hour ago, PowellVolz said:

5+ inches in Knoxville and 1 inch at my house 15 min away to the north. Book it.

I remember the last winter time a bowling ball came through the Valley a few years ago,west coast of Cali to the Valley.We ended up with cold rain while i was living in Lawrenceburg.If i went 30 miles North to around Columbia they got 4"+ and Nashville got hammered

20 minutes ago, jaxjagman said:

You're CSV right?Only see an inch if you are,maybe warm nose?

I'm about 70 miles NE of CSV but we usually get similar weather. They tend to get warm nosed more than I do. There just isn't airport reporting near me for text that I know of. The closest airports that have live weather reports are Somerset Kentucky or Middleboro Kentucky.

There's some snow that the clown maps aren't showing but it's some mixing most definite,you want this to fall at night time 

THU 18Z 01-FEB  10.4     4.5     134    6942    24004           0.09            
FRI 00Z 02-FEB   2.9     2.7     131    7738    00008           0.25            
FRI 06Z 02-FEB  -0.1     0.0     130    4008    36008           0.34            
FRI 12Z 02-FEB  -2.7     0.1     129    4073    00007           0.08            
FRI 18Z 02-FEB   2.4     0.0     130    3186    01005           0.00            
SAT 00Z 03-FEB   0.3    -0.9     130     883    36006           0.00            
SAT 06Z 03-FEB  -3.2    -1.4     129       0    01005           0.00            
SAT 12Z 03-FEB  -5.8    -2.2     129       0    03005           0.00            
SAT 18Z 03-FEB   4.8    -1.3     130    2938    05005           0.00            
SUN 00Z 04-FEB   2.0     0.9     131    7364    06006           0.00            
SUN 06Z 04-FEB   0.2     4.1     132    8901    14005           0.00            
SUN 12Z 04-FEB   4.0     4.9     133    9446    16008           0.00         

• Mr Bob unpinned this topic

Archived