Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Hurricane Maria

Jtm12180

2 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

Seeing 170-174mph winds on Radar at 300 feet near the south coast of PR.

Land elevation may result in widespread cat 5 speeds even though sea level is held just below at 155mph cat 4.

That was my fear with this, land elevation will cause elevated wind speeds.  And widespread landslides.

1 minute ago, Windspeed said:
16 minutes ago, Paragon said:
Down to 155 mph- very strong Cat 4

Thanks for the radar images, it really puts the storm into perspective with the PR eastern coastline.

Enjoy radar while it lasts. I am going to be extremely shocked if it lasts much longer. Velocity is already 100+ at the station.

San Juan wind just gusted to 91, while the eastern coastline is gusting to 100 already.

11 minutes ago, dan11295 said:

We will certainly lose TJUA radar very soon. As a result of the EWRC, instead cat 5 winds over a narrow area, we now get slightly weaker winds over a broader area. At current heading San Juan metro gets the NE eyewall.

KBYX survived a direct hit by Irma; never know.

2 minutes ago, Random Chaos said:

And last velocity scan I got from it. The velocity I tagged is at 300 feet beam height:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-20%20at%206.07.4

TSJU isn't transmitting either from what I can tell...

2 minutes ago, klw said:

Is it my early morning vision or is the eye seems to be moving more west than NW in those last scans? Staying south of San Juan?

I think it has been undergoing an ERC and has wobbled but yeah, it seems to have wobbled west and then WNW.

1 minute ago, Crazieman said:

Goes16 shows a distinctly contracting eye.  Nearly pinhole at this point.

What you are actually seeing is the eye becoming less distinct due to the eyewall replacement cycle taking place. As the old inner eyewall degrades, the core fills with clouds reducing the IR core signature. The new, outer eyewall is around 30mil diameter, or 3 times the size of the old inner eyewall.

I marked the new, outer eye (inside edge of the eyewall) on this IR image for reference:

Screen%20Shot%202017-09-20%20at%206.25.4

• Like 1