Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 minute ago, Juliancolton said:

You should be ripping I would think? It's snowing pretty good here as little tertiary spokes of heavier echoes swing through but I think the main band is stalling just a few miles to my east.

Yup. I can just barely see the end of the neighbors backyards across the street now. Flake size has increased dramatically in the last 20 minutes or so and the wind is howling. I figure it's just a matter of time now before the power goes out when a tree takes out a line somewhere here on the hill. Gonna go out and shovel and maybe go for a walk down the block. See y'alll in a little while.

27 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Doesn’t look like that band will make it here but still more that expected, 4-5” fresh on the board with light snow now. The wind is starting to pick up here out of the north now too.  

I got into it for about 15 minutes before my section of it collapsed east again. :( Agree though, a fun storm and certainly better than most of us would have bet on. 

Couldn't get a decent measurement if I tried but I'm going to say 5-6". There are just as many spots it's blown down to bare ground as there are foot deep drifts. The flakes are mostly mangled and really small so it's very dense but lightweight because it's cold and dry. For the most part it's pretty easy shoveling. We'll see what the plow pile is like though, due to the density I expect it to be a pain in the butt.

Boy eastern Westchester and western Fairfield counties are going to see some impressive totals from this. That band sat over them for quite some time on its way westward and now has been there again for well over an hour and doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. Glad I chose not to drive to work in Ridgefield or Westport today :bike:

Drove from croton into the Bronx this morning and it was not horrible.  Came back at 11:30 and it was the worst conditions I can remember in years.  Roads were bad and the visibility nill.  I just got new winter tires on the truck so I was ok, but most everyone was struggling.

snow growth here is pretty poor but it’s dumping.  Guesstimating 6” otg.

Boy eastern Westchester and western Fairfield counties are going to see some impressive totals from this. That band sat over them for quite some time on its way westward and now has been there again for well over an hour and doesn't seem to be going anywhere soon. Glad I chose not to drive to work in Ridgefield or Westport today :bike:
I was thissssss close to driving into Brooklyn via the city. I concur!

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

I just went for a lap around town and the roads are absolutely horrible. There are cars stuck in the middle of Rt 6, car parts scattered all over from accidents, plow piles from people cleaning lots and driveways and pushing it into the streets that are bumper deep on my Durango, drifts across the roads and big branches down all over the place. @Juliancolton it's far from a non-event down here. Accumulations won't tell the story from this one. 

4.7” today, that’s a win for sure. I do love a decent snowfall like this before an arctic blast. Deep deep winter. Even without any 6+” snowfalls yet, thanks to the cold it’s been real nice to see solid snow cover for weeks and weeks. Sure we lost it for a few days right before Christmas but that was quickly replaced. Lovely stuff. 

27 minutes ago, rgwp96 said:

4.2 of sand , thought this would be a fluffier snow . It blows around yes but certainly not  light like I thought it would be 

I was saying yesterday that the limiting factor for accumulations would be how the flakes would get beat up. I think I probably would have seen more like 9-11" if the mid and upper level winds weren't so extreme. There were periods of intense snowfall while that band sat over me with a fair number of large flakes mixed in but there were more mangled and fractured micro flakes so it packed in tight and dense. On the upside it will be on the ground for a while especially after it dries out a bit more with the upcoming cold and then crusts over during the slight warmup afterwards. 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

I just went for a lap around town and the roads are absolutely horrible. There are cars stuck in the middle of Rt 6, car parts scattered all over from accidents, plow piles from people cleaning lots and driveways and pushing it into the streets that are bumper deep on my Durango, drifts across the roads and big branches down all over the place. @Juliancolton it's far from a non-event down here. Accumulations won't tell the story from this one. 

Yeah, that's what I mean, it's a high-impact event despite mild expectations for most of the week. Roads up here have been a disaster too... seems like there are still thoroughfares that plows haven't touched but maybe it's just blowing back in faster than they can attack it.

1 hour ago, Juliancolton said:

My final assessment... this storm blew. More memorable for the winds and rapid onset than snow totals. Fine by me though – the forecast was for a non-event until very recently.

This storm was certainly lacking in snow accumulated, but it reminded me of last March on a smaller scale.  The winds were strong and during certain bands, there were minor blizzard conditions for a while out there.  It is a high impact 3-6 incher, one of the best 3-6 inchers I have experienced. 

After a good solid round of shoveling I decided that we got more than 6". My snowbanks are more reminiscent of a 9-10 incher and the additional accumulations after my initial round of shoveling was about 4" so I'm going to call it at 8" rather than 6". Pretty impressive drifting, they're not as tall as some previous storms but they're dense and it's scoured right down to the ground in a lot of places. All in all a really nice storm no matter what the final totals are determined to be. 

So what's next? Cold then another storm next week before a mild up?

I'm diggin' this winter so far.

47 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

After a good solid round of shoveling I decided that we got more than 6". My snowbanks are more reminiscent of a 9-10 incher and the additional accumulations after my initial round of shoveling was about 4" so I'm going to call it at 8" rather than 6". Pretty impressive drifting, they're not as tall as some previous storms but they're dense and it's scoured right down to the ground in a lot of places. All in all a really nice storm no matter what the final totals are determined to be. 

So what's next? Cold then another storm next week before a mild up?

I'm diggin' this winter so far.

I’m mailing you a snow board and ruler!  LOL

1 hour ago, IrishRob17 said:

I’m mailing you a snow board and ruler!  LOL

Haha :) I really don't have a great place to put one or I'd have done it years ago. The front is a totally open and wind exposed hill and the backyard is trampled by the dogs and filled with 50-75 foot tall trees. I walk around and stick the ruler in a bunch of spots both on the ground and flat surfaces, sometimes on the cars and sometimes in the bushes. I use the driveway which is pretty unreliable other than in one spot towards the street which is where I've gotten the best measurements over the years if it's not terribly windy. For example today my front lawn had almost no snow on it until the last few hours of the storm when the wind shifted and now there's about 6" there but at 1pm it was pretty much bare ground and it had been snowing for 5-6 hours.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018