Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

1 hour ago, rgwp96 said:

Called in 3.5. I had 3.3on car top and 3.8 on old snow . I just took the average . Was hard to tell which was the old snow exactly 

For me, this was very hard to measure for some reason.  I cleaned off the table last night, but my measurements still differed between 3.75" and 4.25" (a .50" range).  I'm thinking that I did not do a great job cleaning off all the water residue, which then allowed some ice to form in certain areas.  This perhaps caused the snow to begin accumulating on these icy patches first, therefore giving those sections a "head start" of sorts.

Anyway, I'm sticking with 3.75" lol.

15 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

For me, this was very hard to measure for some reason.  I cleaned off the table last night, but my measurements still differed between 3.75" and 4.25" (a .50" range).  I'm thinking that I did not do a great job cleaning off all the water residue, which then allowed some ice to form in certain areas.  This perhaps caused the snow to begin accumulating on these icy patches first, therefore giving those sections a "head start" of sorts.

U are higher up than me I think so I’m sure u were a hair colder which helped since Rates were mostly light 

23 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

You may be shortchanging yourself by measuring on a table. My glass patio table had under 3" this morning with nearly 5" on the board at the same time.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snywx said:

I thought this was suppose to be a "LI Special" lol..  Turning out to be a good event up here. 

It's very rare that we get significant snow with a low so far outside the benchmark. This was a good forecast by the NWS who highlighted the potential for 4"+ amounts some time before any models granted us meaningful QPF

sSvAwew.png

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

It's very rare that we get significant snow with a low so far outside the benchmark. This was a good forecast by the NWS who highlighted the potential for 4"+ amounts some time before any models granted us meaningful QPF

sSvAwew.png

Agreed. Kudos to the nws. Accumulating snow was well modeled for our area

7 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

You may be shortchanging yourself by measuring on a table. My glass patio table had under 3" this morning with nearly 5" on the board at the same time.

Wow, that's a big difference, thank you.  My table is a plastic composite, but I'd still like to do a comparison and cross-check accuracy.

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

Same with car tops, I had 1" more on the board than on the cars, but that is not always the case.

Yup, usually you can get away with a "cold surface" which is why I just ambled outside in my PJs to get a rough running total from the table, but I felt it was low and trekked down to the board. Sure makes me glad that I'm handy enough for the civil engineering task of grabbing a piece of junk plywood and slapping on some white paint. :D

• Like 2

28 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

Yup, usually you can get away with a "cold surface" which is why I just ambled outside in my PJs to get a rough running total from the table, but I felt it was low and trekked down to the board. Sure makes me glad that I'm handy enough for the civil engineering task of grabbing a piece of junk plywood and slapping on some white paint. :D

That takes effort, God speed.

• Like 2

Yeah this time I actually did set a board down on existing snow after sunset, a few hours before the snow started so it would cool and accumulate from the get-go. The board had 5", cars had 1" less and the front yard part that melted off and turned to a muddy quagmire yesterday had 3". This pretty well proved (at least to me) the melting from underneath thing I was debating with the scientist yesterday ;) 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, gravitylover said:

Yeah this time I actually did set a board down on existing snow after sunset, a few hours before the snow started so it would cool and accumulate from the get-go. The board had 5", cars had 1" less and the front yard part that melted off and turned to a muddy quagmire yesterday had 3". This pretty well proved (at least to me) the melting from underneath thing I was debating with the scientist yesterday ;) 

Its interesting to see how accumulations vary around the yard once you start using a legit snowboard.  Sometimes you get higher totals and sometimes lower totals on the board from the old traditional measuring spots.  

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, White Gorilla said:

Sigh, that awesome band in central Massachusetts must be pouring 2-3 per hour.  I grew up there.  

No regrets. This month is one more storm away from being our answer to Boston's Feb 2015.

Also, I'm now 5.0" away from most of the winter's snow falling after my first 80 degree day. Pretty sure a lot of folks have already achieved that.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Juliancolton said:

No regrets. This month is one more storm away from being our answer to Boston's Feb 2015.

Also, I'm now 5.0" away from most of the winter's snow falling after my first 80 degree day. Pretty sure a lot of folks have already achieved that.

Being East of my location at higher elevation, yo have definitely done better than me closer to the river.  The last storm I truly enjoyed.  Interesting progression from storms 1-3,..... too far west to right where we want it to be, and now too far east.  

18 hours ago, Juliancolton said:

This March is now in the top 3 for IMBY with 17.4", #2 is 2013 with 17.7", and #1 was last year with 26.8".  @CPcantmeasuresnow and @West Mtn NY, I know you guys have way more this month as you've really been cashing it, do you guys keep records as well?  Curious where this March ranks for you guys.

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

This March is now in the top 3 for IMBY with 17.4", #2 is 2013 with 17.7, and #1 was last year with 26.8".  @CPcantmeasuresnow and @West Mtn NY, I know you guys have way more this month as you've really been cashing it, do you guys keep records as well?  Curious where this March ranks for you guys.

Top 3 March for me as well at 22.4". Last year is slightly ahead. Those guys I believe have had 36"+ this month. Would be shocked if it wasn't #1 for them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Top 3 March for me as well at 22.4". Last year is slightly ahead. Those guys I believe have had 36"+ this month. Would be shocked if it wasn't #1 for them. 

I haven't kept consistent enough records other then the last 7 years so it's hard to say. At 37.0 inches  it's easily the top spot the last seven years.

Last year was 25.7 in March 20.8 of it on March 14th.

2016 was 0.5 (what a nightmare that winter was).

2015 was 14.7 (the winter of the endless days of snow pack)

2014 was 0.0 after 41.7 inches in February

2013 was 23.8

2012 was 0.0 (another nightmare winter, 16 inches in October and 13 the rest of the winter)

This year definitely breaks the good March bad March pattern of the last 7 years.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

This March is now in the top 3 for IMBY with 17.4", #2 is 2013 with 17.7", and #1 was last year with 26.8".  @CPcantmeasuresnow and @West Mtn NY, I know you guys have way more this month as you've really been cashing it, do you guys keep records as well?  Curious where this March ranks for you guys.

I've only been living Harriman /Monroe for 6 years. I was living in my house up in Queensbury (West Mountain) for 7 years before that and in Warwick for 15 years before I retired from the NYPD. I can't imagine this area having 4 feet in March let alone in 11 days. The only time I have seen this much snow in my life in a short span was in Warwick during that freak storm in the 90s where I literally had to jump out of the second floor window of my house to get out. I couldn't push the screen door open to get out the door. Anything on Tuesday will literally be a seasonal norm in less than 3 weeks here

• Like 3

16 minutes ago, CPcantmeasuresnow said:

I haven't kept consistent enough records other then the last 7 years so it's hard to say. At 37.0 inches  it's easily the top spot the last seven years.

Last year was 25.7 in March 20.8 of it on March 14th.

2016 was 0.5 (what a nightmare that winter was).

2015 was 14.7 (the winter of the endless days of snow pack)

2014 was 0.0 after 41.7 inches in February

2013 was 23.8

2012 was 0.0 (another nightmare winter, 16 inches in October and 13 the rest of the winter)

This year definitely breaks the good March bad March pattern of the last 7 years.

2 minutes ago, West Mtn NY said:

I've only been living Harriman /Monroe for 6 years. I was living in my house up in Queensbury (West Mountain) for 7 years before that and in Warwick for 15 years before I retired from the NYPD. I can't imagine this area having 4 feet in March let alone in 11 days. The only time I have seen this much snow in my life in a short span was in Warwick during that freak storm in the 90s where I literally had to jump out of the second floor window of my house to get out. I couldn't push the screen door open to get out the door. Anything on Tuesday will literally be a seasonal norm in less than 3 weeks here

I figured as much, like we all know, you've both received a lot of snow recently.  My detailed records only go back to June 2005 for where I live now, with some less accurate records from around 2000 going forward when I was still in New Windsor.

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018