Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018

snywx

Just now, IrishRob17 said:

If we had some legit cold air today this storm would’ve been legendary for us all. Woulda coulda shoulda. 

No doubt! Just shows you how many things have to go right for a snowstorm to occur. Too cold, too dry, too mild, too wet, have to have blocking, worry about suppression- it’s maddening at times. But when it all comes together nothing beats the beauty of a big snowstorm! Lol

I will never forget a ski trip I took to Beaver Creek CO back in the 90’s- experienced 7 feet of snow fall in the week I was there. Including one day when it started out in the 40’s and by late afternoon a storm blew in and dumped over 3 ft overnight. We had taken a shuttle bus back down to the base- our condo was maybe 75 yards away from where we dropped off and we couldn’t see it. Snow was flying sideways. Truly epic 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, snywx said:

Today was a very frustrating day for me.. Massive fail in my area today. All around me even areas with less elevation than me did better. There must have been some warmer air aloft that got trapped east of the ridge that never got scoured out. From 330am on till about 11am I was going back and forth w/ rain & snow. 

Damn- i figured you would clean up by you. But i saw some of your earlier posts. Very strange. Well as they say “next up”

One more good one would be nice. The only crappy part is that we know the March snows don’t stick around long. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, snywx said:

Today was a very frustrating day for me.. Massive fail in my area today. All around me even areas with less elevation than me did better. There must have been some warmer air aloft that got trapped east of the ridge that never got scoured out. From 330am on till about 11am I was going back and forth w/ rain & snow. 

There was something similar during the snowicane, like I posted yesterday, I knew a guy in Gardiner that experienced a lot of what we did today. Oh well, on to the next. 

1 minute ago, IrishRob17 said:

There was something similar during the snowicane, like I posted yesterday, I knew a guy in Gardiner that experienced a lot of what we did today. Oh well, on to the next. 

Yeah I was down in Middletown ( Dolson Ave) around 4pm and not even a trace of snow down there. I think that part of Middletown is around 500'. 

2 hours ago, snywx said:

Whoever was under that band just west of ALB down through the catskills & into NE PA really cleaned up. I would think 18-24" in that band

...Schoharie County...
   Richmondville         37.5   402 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Jefferson             34.5   402 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Gilboa                30.0   418 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Schoharie             30.0   345 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Charlotteville        28.0   526 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Middleburgh           24.7   404 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   North Blenheim        24.0   347 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, NorthShoreWx said:

...Schoharie County...
   Richmondville         37.5   402 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Jefferson             34.5   402 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Gilboa                30.0   418 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Schoharie             30.0   345 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Charlotteville        28.0   526 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   Middleburgh           24.7   404 PM  3/02  WeatherNet6
   North Blenheim        24.0   347 PM  3/02  Trained Spotter

Holy sh*t..  big time event up there!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, snywx said:

Dude I couldn’t figure out what was up with this storm . I’m not really high up but places 200 feet lower and southeast of me had 3 before I even had a dusting . I’m in my own town the western side lower elevation did better than eastern side higher elevation. . My side of town ended with 2.5 while sw side ended with 4-5 inches . 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, snywx said:

All of orange county west of Middletown is in the dark tonight. Trees down everywhere and many side roads are impassable. Middletown itself has no snow but you don't have to go far west of the city to run into it. Estimated restoration is Sunday fml

I was just saying in the obs forum that Pike County PA (Milford, etc) is a mess. I’m the next town over (Montague NJ) and we don’t have power either, but we didn’t get as much snow as they did, especially up on the mountain. People are stranded everywhere and sleeping in parking lots.

Just now, lovewinter said:

I was just saying in the obs forum that Pike County PA (Milford, etc) is a mess. I’m the next town over (Montague NJ) and we don’t have power either, but we didn’t get as much snow as they did, especially up on the mountain. People are stranded everywhere and sleeping in parking lots.

I was over in Port Jervis today. Even down by the river they picked up a good amount. The roads are def in bad shape, the wind plus that heavy wet snow was a recipe for disaster

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Looks like Sunday night is the best case scenario to get power back and it may be longer than that. I'll be out of firewood by sunrise  :( and the next few nights are going to be pretty cold. It sucks when you're on a well and can't run the pump and leave water dripping, the pipes freeze...

That’s terrible...I’m sorry! I hope you can get some firewood. We don’t even have a restore time update, which is making me nervous. Hopefully now that the winds are gone they can get out to assess, etc. 

10 hours ago, West Mtn NY said:

I will try that next time. The first round was 3-4 feet high and was so much work I didn't want to shovel 1 more scoop than I had to. It was literally cement. 

Oh I don’t blame you.  If this storm was a powder bomb I’d be bummed to miss out but the older I get the less I like shoveling the  cement snow. I laugh at that graphic though as in theory it’s great but there are so many variables to get it right. This is a neat little contraption but they typically don’t use graders around here for plowing except for pushing back the bands in some places when they get too big. 

https://m.liveleak.com/view?i=a11_1518343506

9 hours ago, snywx said:

All of orange county west of Middletown is in the dark tonight. Trees down everywhere and many side roads are impassable. Middletown itself has no snow but you don't have to go far west of the city to run into it. Estimated restoration is Sunday fml

Wait, did you lose power too?  

4 hours ago, gravitylover said:

Looks like Sunday night is the best case scenario to get power back and it may be longer than that. I'll be out of firewood by sunrise  :( and the next few nights are going to be pretty cold. It sucks when you're on a well and can't run the pump and leave water dripping, the pipes freeze...

Yep, been down that road. Even when I get the generator running my well water comes from outside my house, I have no control over the pump. Hopefully you have enough snow to melt for the toilet. The forecast here is to only go below freezing for a couple to few hours before dawn tonight. Hopefully you’ll be ok and get the power back sometime tomorrow. Sunday night looks a few degrees colder with more time below below freezing. 

52 minutes ago, lovewinter said:

That’s terrible...I’m sorry! I hope you can get some firewood. We don’t even have a restore time update, which is making me nervous. Hopefully now that the winds are gone they can get out to assess, etc. 

I think I'm going to go to BJ's in a little while and get a few boxes of Duraflame logs, those buggers burn really hot.  Yeah there's a wee bit of comfort in having a restoration time rather than your situation. Good luck!

43 minutes ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yep, been down that road. Even when I get the generator running my well water comes from outside my house, I have no control over the pump. Hopefully you have enough snow to melt for the toilet. The forecast here is to only go below freezing for a couple to few hours before dawn tonight. Hopefully you’ll be ok and get the power back sometime tomorrow. Sunday night looks a few degrees colder with more time below below freezing. 

At least this time I filled 3 5 gallon buckets before the storm so we'd have water to flush with. I'm hoping it doesn't get cold enough for long enough to be a problem.

No power means no internet and my kids have assignments due tomorrow night so now I have to take them back to school today so they can get them in on time. Uggh, back to Poughkeepsie... again.

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Yeah got power back this morning..

2 hours ago, IrishRob17 said:

Just reading the post in the OCEM page about 84 west being shut down at exit 2 since yesterday, with folks stuck since yesterday morning. A lady posted an hour ago that they are plowing cars out one at a time...yikes. 

I was on Mountain rd during the event and it was a completely different world up there. Cars, trucks etc stuck in ditches and left there till the event was over. They had the ramp to 84 West from Mountain rd ( exit 2) closed.

42 minutes ago, snywx said:

Yeah got power back this morning..

I was on Mountain rd during the event and it was a completely different world up there. Cars, trucks etc stuck in ditches and left there till the event was over. They had the ramp to 84 West from Mountain rd ( exit 2) closed.

I’ve been following things in some Milford/Dingmans Ferry Facebook pages (we’re the next town over the border in Jersey) and it’s like a war zone there. Same thing...people stuck in parking lots all night because so many roads are blocked with trees and wires. We have to go out for more gas for the generator shortly...hopefully we can get to the gas station. (I’ve heard some of the pumps and Rt 23 in Montague are blocked from all the tractor trailers that were diverted off of 84 yesterday). But it’s probably better by now. I think I read that 84E is open again. 

4 minutes ago, lovewinter said:

I’ve been following things in some Milford/Dingmans Ferry Facebook pages (we’re the next town over the border in Jersey) and it’s like a war zone there. Same thing...people stuck in parking lots all night because so many roads are blocked with trees and wires. We have to go out for more gas for the generator shortly...hopefully we can get to the gas station. (I’ve heard some of the pumps and Rt 23 in Montague are blocked from all the tractor trailers that were diverted off of 84 yesterday). But it’s probably better by now. I think I read that 84E is open again. 

Yea, some incredible photos and videos coming out of that region, my gf has a lot of friends in that area with power restoration estimates of Thursday...

49 minutes ago, snywx said:

We may be doing this all over again on Wednesday..  8-12" on the GFS, GGEM is 10"+

We ended up with about 4 inches here by me yesterday. The last few hours came down pretty good. Is this next one looking better for down my way or will we be dealing with marginal temps again? I see nws says it’s looking like more of a rain event right now except for N & W

I’ve found that since I moved to Sloatsburg I’m not always n & w enough these days lol 

• IrishRob17 changed the title to Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley Second Half 2018