Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
June 11-17th Severe Weather

snowlover2

1 minute ago, homedis said:

That complex is moving at 65mph so that shouldn't be a problem haha.

To me it seems the NAM is on track for the most part. I would worry a little about westward extent of the MCS though. If it stretches back west of ICT, it's going to take a while for SW flow to bring that juicy air mass back around.

• Replies 216
  • Created
  • Last Reply
25 minutes ago, homedis said:

Yeah and the HRRR shows plenty of clearing ahead of the next round tomorrow aft.

Haven't had a chance to look, but HRRR and NAM were showing most of the ongoing convection falling apart very early tomorrow morning (Saturday). Even so, we shouldn't have a problem recovering if it's early enough and clouds break.

Hrrr does rapidly weaken the complex come morning but hard to say this far out if outflow and clouds will stabilize the environment up north. The better shear and forcing will be north but all depends where the cape gradient sets up in relation to that. Not sure what to expect at this point. With ample moisture in place and steep lapse rates approaching and the time of year, it shouldn't be hard to destabilize quickly even with broken cloud cover

Just now, AppsRunner said:

02z run even more bullish

I'll be interested to see how they trend from here. Because I feel like some of these rapid increases are because of the model really ramping convection around 00z, and with the 4 hour dependency it was able to "see" more of that intense convection.

Yeah tomorrow looks pretty legit.  Very impressive synoptic setup for mid June.  Very potent shortwave that even tries to close off at H5 on the NAM later tomorrow night.  The nose of the vigorous upper jet, strong vorticity advection, and nice height falls move over the instability axis at peak heating later tomorrow over Iowa.  Storm complex from tonight is the only mitigating factor in tomorrow's setup.  As long as we don't see excessive back-building on the western edge of the complex it shouldn't be an issue.  The earlier it's influence departs the better though.

6 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

Yeah tomorrow looks pretty legit.  Very impressive synoptic setup for mid June.  Very potent shortwave that even tries to close off at H5 on the NAM later tomorrow night.  The nose of the vigorous upper jet, strong vorticity advection, and nice height falls move over the instability axis at peak heating later tomorrow over Iowa.  Storm complex from tonight is the only mitigating factor in tomorrow's setup.  As long as we don't see excessive back-building on the western edge of the complex it shouldn't be an issue.  The earlier it's influence departs the better though.

That's my biggest worry as well because it would really hold the instability gradient south away from the better dynamics and shear north. But man if we get them to overlap we could see something on par with tonight if not worse

Just now, StormChaser4Life said:

That's my biggest worry as well because it would really hold the instability gradient south away from the better dynamics and shear north. But man if we get them to overlap we could see something on par with tonight if not worse

Yeah everything else is a go for a fairly widespread severe event.  Even with reduced instability I think we'd still be dealing with a fairly impressive, albeit slightly more tame severe threat that would still likely be widespread in coverage.  If we can achieve strong instability beneath the incoming synoptic setup noted above then this could be quite the event for a good chunk of the sub.

Yeah everything else is a go for a fairly widespread severe event.  Even with reduced instability I think we'd still be dealing with a fairly impressive, albeit slightly more tame severe threat that would still likely be widespread in coverage.  If we can achieve strong instability beneath the incoming synoptic setup noted above then this could be quite the event for a good chunk of the sub.

Agreed. Im just unsure if Chicago's off the hook this time or not. Seems like things have been pointing south but who knows.

4 minutes ago, cyclone77 said:

My early NWS training forecast contest target is SE IA just north of FFL. Not a good time to be on midnight shifts though, part of me wants to wake up a little early for this.

6 minutes ago, homedis said:

Agreed. Im just unsure if Chicago's off the hook this time or not. Seems like things have been pointing south but who knows.

Honestly, I'd probably rather be south... even south of where I'm at but I'm not dismissing the possibility of something interesting locally.

I'd expect a fairly bullish 06z outlook.  Perhaps even a moderate risk.

4 minutes ago, OceanStWx said:

My early NWS training forecast contest target is SE IA just north of FFL. Not a good time to be on midnight shifts though, part of me wants to wake up a little early for this.

Nice.  Yeah that'd be a good place to be based on several of the models rolling in tonight.  Northern portion of the instability gradient, and far enough to take advantage of the better incoming synoptic features.  

IWX aviation update clues into what there thinking

.AVIATION...(For the 06Z TAFS through 06Z Saturday Night)
Issued at 1246 AM EDT Sat Jun 17 2017

Upstream convection from the next system extended from extreme
east IA into far southern WI early this morning. Mentioned VCTS
at SBN 08-12 as some of these storms may be able to make it into
northwest Indiana before they dissipate later this morning.
Mentioned VCTS by late afternoon at both sites as daytime heating
combined with increasing low level theta e convergence may be
enough to trigger a few storms. There will be a much better 
chance for storms early tonight, especially over northwest 
Indiana as a more substantial system moves into the area. 

Just now, HillsdaleMIWeather said:

I meant I'm more surprised at the fact there's not a 5% in Iowa/West Illinois 

Too much uncertainty for that right now. You put it up now and might (most likely?) have to move it at 13z. Might as well just wait until 13z and see how the night played out.

With pretty late convective initialization times tomorrow I think the SPC could reasonably wait until 1630 to upgrade anything with the advantage of seeing how airmass recovery goes. Kinda surprised they extended the hatched wind/hail so far north in IA though. 

Archived