Newest Member
    joxey
T-Storm/ Squall Line Threat 2/25

dmillz25

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, Animal said:

February super cells turning up in east central PA.

Must suspect wind damage. My station has been sustained winds at 14 mph the last few hours. 

2 Tornado warnings

Lackawanna PA-
251 PM EST SAT FEB 25 2017

...A TORNADO WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 330 PM EST FOR EASTERN
LACKAWANNA COUNTY..
243 PM EST SAT FEB 25 2017

The National Weather Service in State College PA has issued a

* Tornado Warning for...
  Northwestern Lancaster County in south central Pennsylvania...
  Southeastern Lebanon County in south central Pennsylvania...

* Until 330 PM EST

* At 243 PM EST, a severe thunderstorm capable of producing a tornado
  was located over Mount Joy, moving northeast at 40 mph.

18 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

"Widespread" damage almost never happens with severe thunderstorms anyway..... we're not about a tornado here bro, but it absolutely will meet severe thunderstorm criteria 

It's more likely to happen in the fall if it does.  Remember September a few years back?  That was pretty scary.

If you want to go a few years further back there's the Labor Day outbreak in 1999 (I hope I got the year right lol.)

Before that, October 1989.

6 minutes ago, Paragon said:

It's more likely to happen in the fall if it does.  Remember September a few years back?  That was pretty scary.

If you want to go a few years further back there's the Labor Day outbreak in 1999 (I hope I got the year right lol.)

Before that, October 1989.

September 2014 I had a microburst here that did a lot of damage. 

17 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Just a reminder and maybe those that don't know...

Severe Thunderstorm criteria- 1" or greater Hail size, and Gust(s) of 58mph or greater.. sustained wind/lightning strikes is NOT considered when determining severity 

I disagree. Cloud to ground strikes is a severe t-storm in our area.

Very dangerous.

1 minute ago, Rtd208 said:

The radar is lit up over E.PA, wow. We could barely buy snow in February but we can pull off severe. This may be the start of a long and active stretch of severe weather for us this spring and summer, we are overdue IMO.

I remember people talked about the winter severe season last winter too.  I remember almost the exact same words- it was more exciting for severe than it was for snow (outside of the big blizzard of course.)

Just now, Paragon said:

I remember people talked about the winter severe season last winter too.  I remember almost the exact same words- it was more exciting for severe than it was for snow (outside of the big blizzard of course.)

Even the severe season was dull last year. Overall we have had a long stretch of quiet weather ever since the January 2016 blizzard, eventually the tide is going to change.

25 minutes ago, Animal said:

I disagree. Cloud to ground strikes is a severe t-storm in our area.

Very dangerous.

Lol... my post is a direct fact so it's not really up for a debate or subject to opinion (no offense)... it's the NWS criteria for a "severe storm"... you can define it as a severe storm for your own personal use but sustained winds and lightning strikes are not part of the NWS criteria for classifying severe thunderstorms 

http://www.spc.noaa.gov/faq/#4.2

section 4.2

they also have a classification for "significant severe storms" 75mph gusts, or 2" hail...and/or a tornado of EF2 or greater 

4 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

Lol... my post is a direct fact so it's not really up for a debate or subject to opinion (no offense)... it's the NWS criteria for a "severe storm"... you can define it as a severe storm for your own personal use but sustained winds and lightning strikes are not part of the NWS criteria for classifying severe thunderstorms 

I know that. It's a joke. They should update to local climate areas.

I have witnessed cloud to ground strikes..scary ****

4 minutes ago, Stormlover74 said:

I do think lightning is far more dangerous than small hail yet one is severe criteria and one isn't

Agreed,  the problem is how do u measure it? And translate that into warnings/watches... number of strikes per min? also if lightning were the main criteria wouldn't every thunderstorm involving lighting be then classified as severe?

Archived