Newest Member
    joxey
January 23rd-24th Storm Threat

Rjay

• Replies 659
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

HRRR total precip amounts not that impressive through 6am.... most is eastern LI/Jersey coastline 

it's getting to that point that places north and west might be cutting back on total precip. as it's pretty clear how this is trending cooler and southeast. considering that i had sleet falling a few mins ago is a testament to this early bust.

3 minutes ago, BxWeatherwatcher said:

it's getting to that point that places north and west might be cutting back on total precip. as it's pretty clear how this is trending cooler and southeast. considering that i had sleet falling a few mins ago is a testament to this early bust.

I'd say the opposite, the LP tracks too close to coast and we dryslot 

HRRR says precip is done by 3-4am.... less than 1" for NYC, jersey gets more

Anyway, we're kind of beyond the useful range for modeling now. The radar looks really good right now with strong banding over the Mid-Atlantic and another band organizing over Central NJ and moving NNW. These should all rotate in over the next 6 hours or so. The surface low is still deepening, so the storm is still strengthening. 

pchg.gif?1485199504387

3 minutes ago, UlsterCountySnowZ said:

I agree it's probably not correct, but the 24 hour HRRR has no mire precip after that initial push  

Your first clue is that you're asking a short term mesoscale model for a forecast beyond 3-5 hours. We're still a few hours away from the HRRR's wheelhouse. 

And it's also important to remember that the HRRR will be good at identifying some mesoscale features where the heaviest precip might occur, but it's not necessarily useful for things like storm QPF. 

Just now, NJwx85 said:

That's the 850mb level or about 5000 feet above the surface. Some of the 925mb winds, which are going to be close to Hurricane force could mix down in the heavier banding. 925mb is about 2500 feet up.

Yes, I'm aware. I was posting the 850mb winds in same frame as your reflectivity post above to illustrate that mixing will occur in many areas where the atmospheric inversions will be at a minimum. I can only post 850mb/10m as you know since it's tidbits. I'd post the stormvista 925mb maps if I could.

1 minute ago, mikemost said:

Yes, I'm aware. I was posting the 850mb winds in same frame as your reflectivity post above to illustrate that mixing will occur in many areas where the atmospheric inversions will be at a minimum. I can only post 850mb/10m as you know since it's tidbits. I'd post the stormvista 925mb maps if I could.

Ah okay.

13 minutes ago, NJwx85 said:

That's the 850mb level or about 5000 feet above the surface. Some of the 925mb winds, which are going to be close to Hurricane force could mix down in the heavier banding. 925mb is about 2500 feet up.

Considering the potential for gravity waves (and ducting as okx alluded to yesterday),  h85 plays more of a role than normal 

Archived