• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Upstate NY/North Country + adjacent ON, QC, VT: Winter!

• Replies 516
  • Created
  • Last Reply
6 minutes ago, DeltaT13 said:

If I had known this band was going to drop 4-6 inch an hour rates I would have come in!  Lighter winds are really keeping this band tight and concentrated. 

You can call me one of the few lucky ones that made it out of there, chased it all the way down to the Woodlawn area of Blasdell then turned around and head back toward the northtowns, at the core of the band it was coming down at 5-6"/hr rates with some of the side streets I drove though had knee deep snow.

Wow! Great storm today! Had a blast tracking it with you guys. Only ended up with about 6" here but impact wise this is a top 3 event for WNY for this decade. Nov 2014 being first and a toss up with this and Dec 2010 for 2nd and 3rd. Those of you still stuck out on the roads have a safe trip home.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

My sister has been stuck near the McKinley mall for probably at least 4 hours now. I guess they weren't letting any more traffic north along South Park or Rt 5, and still aren't. I wonder when they'll get the roads opened up again.

My sister in law spent over 4 hours on South Park trying to get from downtown to Hamburg. She finally gave up around 8pm and ended up turning around to spend the night here. Sounds like it's somewhat clearing out but it's still a mess out there.

NEW YORK

...CATTARAUGUS COUNTY...
   PERRYSBURG            25.0   526 PM  1/05  COOP OBSERVER

...ERIE COUNTY...
   BLASDELL              28.0   900 PM  1/05  COCORAHS
   3 SSW WEST SENECA     26.0  1000 PM  1/05  SOCIAL MEDIA
   HAMBURG               23.0   835 PM  1/05  TRAINED SPOTTER
   3 SW BLASDELL         22.0   555 PM  1/05  COCORAHS
   3 SSE ORCHARD PARK    21.0   916 PM  1/05  TRAINED SPOTTER
   WNW ATHOL SPRINGS     21.0   845 PM  1/05  PUBLIC
   2 NE ORCHARD PARK     20.0   957 PM  1/05  TRAINED SPOTTER
   3 SSW MARILLA         17.5   830 PM  1/05  TRAINED SPOTTER
   2 N ORCHARD PARK      16.5   450 PM  1/05  AMATEUR RADIO
   WEST SENECA           15.0   440 PM  1/05  NWS EMPLOYEE
   BUFFALO               15.0   655 PM  1/05  PUBLIC
   EAST AURORA           14.5  1045 PM  1/05  NWS EMPLOYEE
   ANGOLA ON THE LAKE    14.5   452 PM  1/05  SOCIAL MEDIA
   2 NNE LACKAWANNA      13.0   700 PM  1/05  SNOW SPOTTER
   ORCHARD PARK          12.0   343 PM  1/05  NWS EMPLOYEE
   ELMA                  12.0   904 PM  1/05  SNOW SPOTTER
   2 SSW MARILLA         11.0   400 PM  1/05  PUBLIC
   1 ESE EAST AURORA     11.0   800 PM  1/05  COCORAHS
   2 ESE WANAKAH          7.5   415 PM  1/05  PUBLIC
   3 SSW WANAKAH          7.0   330 PM  1/05  OVER 2-HR TIMEFRAME
   2 NE LACKAWANNA        6.0   530 PM  1/05  SNOW SPOTTER
   2 S BUFFALO            6.0   500 PM  1/05  SOCIAL MEDIA
   BUFFALO AIRPORT        2.2   754 PM  1/05  COOP OBSERVER
   1 NW WILLIAMSVILLE     1.3   800 PM  1/05  NWS EMPLOYEE

...GENESEE COUNTY...
   DARIEN CENTER          3.0   455 PM  1/05  POST OFFICE

...JEFFERSON COUNTY...
   3 WSW WEST CARTHAGE   26.0   330 PM  1/05  SOCIAL MEDIA
   ENE WEST CARTHAGE     19.0   815 PM  1/05  COCORAHS
   2 S WATERTOWN         18.4   321 PM  1/05  TRAINED SPOTTER
   1 ESE WATERTOWN       18.0  1030 PM  1/05  COCORAHS
   FORT DRUM AIRFIELD    11.0   658 PM  1/05  AWOS

...OSWEGO COUNTY...
   8 NNW REDFIELD         5.0   700 PM  1/05  COCORAHS

21 minutes ago, ayuud11 said:

I'm going to rant here but for once I just would like a band to slam the **** out of the Northtowns, just tired of these closed calls we've been having these past couple of years...

It has been pretty bad for a long while. A transient band dumping 8" every couple years seems like the best we can manage. Even the airport, which is better situated, is pretty much getting shafted... if things don't turn around soon, this will be the fourth significantly BN snowfall year in the past six. We can't even get close to the mean in the off years.

This is a tough one. As much as I love the snow this is a high public impact event. I never hope for hardships in my lust for mountains of white but this was a majorly disruptive storm. Hell parents are still trying to pick their kids up from elementary school at 1 am! If this would have been delayed by even 4 hours people would have been home, the plow crews would have no issues clearing the roads and life would have carried on as usual tomorrow. Timing and public impact play such a huge factor in these events not just total snowfall.

It has been pretty bad for a long while. A transient band dumping 8" every couple years seems like the best we can manage. Even the airport, which is better situated, is pretty much getting shafted... if things don't turn around soon, this will be the fourth significantly BN snowfall year in the past six. We can't even get close to the mean in the off years.

The north town events have always been few and far between. But when they hit look out.

4a7c661263e599488b0f2af83ef71747.jpg

6 hours ago, WNash said:

It's just bad luck all around man just look at KART they managed to get close to 2ft yesterday and they have been having a decent LES season so far...

6 hours ago, SouthBuffaloSteve said:

The north town events have always been few and far between. But when they hit look out.

4a7c661263e599488b0f2af83ef71747.jpg

That was a nice storm btw SSW wind direction actually takes the band all the way up to the Southern Niagara border affecting southern Niagara,G.Island etc..

Archived