joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The official Upstate New York/Pennsylvania whine/complaint/wheresmysnow thread

JamieOber

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just another screwjob on the pile of screwjobs that seems to grow with every winter...

2/12/06

3/2/09

12/19/09

2/6/10

12/26/10

1.5" of snow here. Just 75 miles to the east they're likely to see 20"+. :axe:

Your right. If u would have bet me that in one yr, there would be 3 massive snowstorms dumping 20-30 inches of snow in the mid atlantic and now NY/NJ region and basically not even touch us, I would have taken that bet all day.Sad thing is I would have lost the bet. It really is an amazing wx situation.U couldnt screw this area more if u literally tried to.

Your right. If u would have bet me that in one yr, there would be 3 massive snowstorms dumping 20-30 inches of snow in the mid atlantic and now NY/NJ region and basically not even touch us, I would have taken that bet all day.Sad thing is I would have lost the bet. It really is an amazing wx situation.U couldnt screw this area more if u literally tried to.

we have alot of winter left...dont give up yet!!!

you never know whats around the corner.

Well this chart shows Williamsport has got 5" of snow this season. Sure surprised me. :lol:

http://nowdata.rcc-a...pubACIS_results

Just looked at that data and the nearest recording station to me is Sabinsville in northwestern

Tioga County and they are recording 2.9" so far. I'm not sure how accurate this is. In Westfield,

about 4 miles to the north I've recorded 10.7" for the season so far. We've received alot of lake

effect dustings (.1" deals) and the biggest so far was 3" from LES. Synoptic snow has been pretty

much a no-show thus far. A long ways to go to get to our average of about 70 " per season.

Everything is gone now except a few drifts in the higher terrain. I'm hoping for a coastal hugger that

cuts up thru the Southern New England area that would dump about two feet on the "forgotten interior."

It has been a long time since that has happened. I'd even take a good old fashion clipper 1-3"

snowfall, what ever happened to them??? I think things are looking better the next few weeks.

Just looked at that data and the nearest recording station to me is Sabinsville in northwestern

Tioga County and they are recording 2.9" so far. I'm not sure how accurate this is. In Westfield,

about 4 miles to the north I've recorded 10.7" for the season so far. We've received alot of lake

effect dustings (.1" deals) and the biggest so far was 3" from LES. Synoptic snow has been pretty

much a no-show thus far. A long ways to go to get to our average of about 70 " per season.

Everything is gone now except a few drifts in the higher terrain. I'm hoping for a coastal hugger that

cuts up thru the Southern New England area that would dump about two feet on the "forgotten interior."

It has been a long time since that has happened. I'd even take a good old fashion clipper 1-3"

snowfall, what ever happened to them??? I think things are looking better the next few weeks.

I remember someone saying that the only two official recording sites for that link are Harrisburg and Williamsport.

The other places have spotters.

As far as things getting better. January is our biggest snow month usually.

Edit: Here is the link on the official recording sites.

When it comes to snow, I live in the armpit of the world!!! :thumbsdown:

There!!! I feel much better now!!! :bag:

This is just a passing freak of nature. Of course we said the same thing last winter! I have to say that in the past 5 years coastal So. NE has received more major snowstorms / blizzards than we have by far (synoptic of course). I lived down there for most of the 80s and 90s and can count the # of truly major storms on one hand in that period. The number of snowstorms that did NOT changeover was also a pretty low number, living right along the coast. Nowadays its almost routine! Well not exactly, but it seems that way. The real screw zone in the eastern US is central VA - relative to norms. Don't move to Richmond VA if you like snow is all I can say. We can't complain in CNY (at least I can't)...though it would be entertaining to actually have a major synoptic snowstorm at some point and not just fringe effects.. I can count 2, maybe 3, that we've had in the 5+ winters I've been here. BGM is worse. ALB had a drought but is starting to make up for that. I at least get to enjoy the full bore lake bands up near Oswego to satisfy my needs.

This is honestly turning into one of the most snow-free winters in Ottawa's recent history. I mean, people up here love to tease Toronto about how mild and snowless their winters are compared to our's ,but this year has been a joke. I mean, there has been hardly any cold or snow up here. Ottawa once had a fearsome reputation in eastern Canada for cold and snow. No longer, it would seem.

I find it pretty funny NYC/NJ has had Blizzard warnings...and we haven't even had a winter storm WATCH yet.

:lol:

This pattern had better change soon. I'm tired of hearing of places that aren't supposed to get heavy snow and bitter cold - and don't know how to deal with it - getting it while we get next to nothing. Next Sunday's system looks to be a bust up here as well.

Well I guess I'll chime in on this thread real quick. Another winter weather advisory(if that) likely. No winter storm warnings yet this year.

Now to be positive.....THANK GOD FOR LAKE EFFECT.

Yes, be grateful that you at least get lake effect. Ottawa had 25cm of snow in December, and so far this month has had a pathetic 11cm (4.5")!!

This pattern had better change soon. I'm tired of hearing of places that aren't supposed to get heavy snow and bitter cold - and don't know how to deal with it - getting it while we get next to nothing. Next Sunday's system looks to be a bust up here as well.

You just echoed my sentiments exactly.. Now granted, Montreal has been a bit more blessed than you have thanks to that storm back in early December, but since then, we've had practically next to nothing.. It's frustrating seeing the same places get buried everytime a storm comes up the coast, and meanwhile we always end up missing out on the action.. The last 2 winters were pretty much over snow wise by the end of January.. I was hoping this year would be different.. Oh well, I'm still holding out some hope that things will pick up.. Things have to pick up, RIGHT? Play along! LOL!

Cheers,

Scratch

This is honestly turning into one of the most snow-free winters in Ottawa's recent history. I mean, people up here love to tease Toronto about how mild and snowless their winters are compared to our's ,but this year has been a joke. I mean, there has been hardly any cold or snow up here. Ottawa once had a fearsome reputation in eastern Canada for cold and snow. No longer, it would seem.

last year Baltimore had more snow than buffalo!:devilsmiley::axe:

Archived