joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
The official Upstate New York/Pennsylvania whine/complaint/wheresmysnow thread

JamieOber

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I want to thank another member for posting the last several yrs snowfall for my town last nite. I knew we had it bad here but thanks to his graph now I know how bad. The avg snowfall for here is 38.8,well now i think its 36 cuz of how bad its been lately. But in the several yrs I have lived here, we have recieved these totals...19,23,24,25, 29,and a couple of 31's.Not good. Def below normal and in many cases well below normal. Unfortunately for me, I wasnt living here in the winters of 02-03 thru 04-05, those were the great seasons. Anyway, I would think it would change at some point and time,just not sure if this is the year.Also, having so many areas just to the south do so well last yr can def make u more frustrated than normal.As a certified wx observer(not the same thing as a co-op observer), I am in touch with the NWS quite often as they acquire information from this facility about wx obs here. Ev erything I report on, both here and with the NWS is accurate and true. And when I say on this forum that its been pretty bad these yrs, it def is true. Wx gods, give us a good yr again and this complaint board will go away, at least from me. We are basically all just reporters here , if the wx is snowless and bad then I report it is as such and provide factual info to backup my claims like Im sure everyone else on here does.Why would we complain if we have a great snow season? The answer is that most of us wouldnt. Anyway, all we can do is keep hoping and waiting and eventually it will turn around.It has to, doesnt it?LOL

This Dec has been frustrating in terms of missed potential, but realistically, it's been cold, there is ~1" of snow at least for many. In the last few years the temperature has sometimes swung into the 50's this time of year. with no snow in sight.

As a skier I can appreciate cold and dry. I think more members of this forum need to invest in snow making equipment pimp.gif

So, while it is disappointing to see the models bring us tons of snow and then whisk it away within 36hrs, I won't be truly disappointed until Feb if we haven't gotten a major storm.

PS if you have or have had >4" of snow on the ground in Dec this year, quitcha whinin. Its white. Its cold. Your roof is not collapsing. You win.

I just watched Bastardi's latest long ranger video and, while I think he is awful at forecasting specific storms, he tends to be really good at predicting overall patterns. He explains how the GFS has consistently backed off from its call for a cold start to the new year and how this is indicative of the pattern change coming. The 6z GFS shows a blowtorch developing at a time when it was originally calling for a cold surge. Bastardi went on to explain how the coldest air in the world is being sent over to Asia, the far east and europe. It was a good video, for a change, even though I didn't like the message. It would seem that winter may be toast for us. It will be interesting to see if Ottawa and Montreal record an air temperature of -20 celcius this winter. We didn't in 2001-2002.

I saw on the news today NY dec is banning outdoor wood burning furnaces, lot of people in rural areas have these.

I think you misread it Andy. The DEC is gonna regulate them.

Regs on how close they are to property lines and the height of the stacks. I read new

ones will go for over $10k with all the new regulations.

We've got a fresh 1/4" here in NH Andy. If you want I can send you some picts. whistle.gif

I hate it when everyone is looking at models and they are like "yayyyy lookie......it's great.....yayyy......."

Meanwhile the P.O.S. Low is out over the effing ocean outside of North Carolina. To me, that's a suppressed piece of ****. That needs to be tracking just inland along the coast and be shoved up the ass of the Chesapeake Bay.

There is going to be about 5 years of storms with all rain east of I-95......and not all snow until about Lancaster county and points northwest. Climatology just doesn't change....it's coming.

Wow, that felt kinda good - just never had a thread to express that. Actually that's more how I felt 11 months ago.....getting 50" of snow in February eased all that a bit :)

They are getting too numerous at IPT to count....at least I can see the stars tonight haha...broken cloud cover.

Midlo put up a snow cover map of the northern hemisphere on a diff thread.LOL.Its hilarious, ,it shows all the midwest, northeast and mid atlantic down into the carolinas in white.The one exception bein our region of PA. I swear that was the only hole in that whole expanse.If I knew how I would have linked it here so u could take a gander.

Midlo put up a snow cover map of the northern hemisphere on a diff thread.LOL.Its hilarious, ,it shows all the midwest, northeast and mid atlantic down into the carolinas in white.The one exception bein our region of PA. I swear that was the only hole in that whole expanse.If I knew how I would have linked it here so u could take a gander.

Hahaha I hope we get something to write home about this winter!! Whereabouts in Williamsport are you from??

Archived