Most Online
    Toothache
    Newest Member
    Toothache
Interior NW Burbs & Hudson Valley First Half 2017

xram

Just now, snywx said:

lol.. Yeah dude that was pretty bad

I have to admit I don't have a good concept of areal distances.  But I am okay with linear distances, which is better than those we know who think they're getting heavy snow and have 6+ inches when it's more like 1-2 inches lol.  I saw a lot of that in January during our minor events and I remember we were both laughing at them lol.

• Replies 2.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
13 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Wow you cashed in.  General 24" here, mostly 22" when I measured in various locations.

Hope you get 30+ in this storm.  Butler is a pretty good spot to be in most storms.  I am in NJ a lot when I am driving to see my sister in PA.

4 minutes ago, Paragon said:

yeah but the funny thing is I hadn't seen more than 18" in any storm prior to that since 2003 lol.  So I'll probably be happy for like the next 10 years (plus I took like 64 GB of pictures and videos to remember it with the weather channel on in the background.)

Wow, you went full weenie.  Jk, I took a lot of pictures and notes too.

1 minute ago, Paragon said:

Hope you get 30+ in this storm.  Butler is a pretty good spot to be in most storms.  I am in NJ a lot when I am driving to see my sister in PA.

Thanks.  Yeah it's in a nice spot, far enough away from the coast, but not too far inland.  Usually do decent with elevation based storms as well.

1 minute ago, JerseyWx said:

Wow, you went full weenie.  Jk, I took a lot of pictures and notes too.

haha yea, I remember I was using two different cameras and stayed up for 48 hours straight and kept swapping cameras back and forth because the batteries kept running out.

Thanks.  Yeah it's in a nice spot, far enough away from the coast, but not too far inland.  Usually do decent with elevation based storms as well.

Yeah in my experience that is the best place to be for most early and late season storms.  Things equalize for January and February but for December and March where you are and also up in the LHV and NEPA is the best place to be.  I spent a lot of time in December in NEPA (Albrightsville) and it was a completely different snowy world from here, constant snowcover.

haha yea, I remember I was using two different cameras and stayed up for 48 hours straight and kept swapping cameras back and forth because the batteries kept running out.

I thought for a sec Malverne was in SNY until I searched it up and realized it's in Long Island. You got me good there, ha.

Just now, Paragon said:

Yeah in my experience that is the best place to be for most early and late season storms.  Things equalize for January and February but for December and March where you are and also up in the LHV and NEPA is the best place to be.  I spent a lot of time in December in NEPA (Albrightsville) and it was a completely different snowy world from here, constant snowcover.

Yeah definitely, early and late season storms are usually when elevation means the most. 

Yeah, Albrightsbille is a weenie spot in NEPA. Have a friend up there, pretty much a guaranteed dec-mar winter. 

2 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

I thought for a sec Malverne was in SNY until I searched it up and realized it's in Long Island. You got me good there, ha.

I wasn't trying to fool anyone but I actually have two places, the other one is in NE PA that I jointly own with my sister.  The place in Malverne was jointly owned by me and my dad until he passed away.  Lots of memories so I might move to NE PA full time in the future, not sure.

2 minutes ago, nesussxwx said:

Yeah, Albrightsbille is a weenie spot in NEPA. Have a friend up there, pretty much a guaranteed dec-mar winter. 

Yeah it's like Mt. Pocono but only  a bit further south.  Lake Harmony and Bear Creek are also nearby.

Just now, Paragon said:

Also, they are the most exciting storms because they are stronger and have a lot more wind and seem to last longer.

I'm a warm weather kind of guy, but sometimes these March and April storms just do something for me.  Especially April snow.

3 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

I'm a warm weather kind of guy, but sometimes these March and April storms just do something for me.  Especially April snow.

Yeah I definitely love my 90s and even 100s in the summer- which is why I could never live way out on the east end.  I hate sea breezes :(

My best snowstorm memories are actually the big ones like last January but also April snowstorms like 1982, 1996 and 2003.  I took a lot of pics in the April 2003 event too :) 

Just now, Paragon said:

Yeah I definitely love my 90s and even 100s in the summer- which is why I could never live way out on the east end.  I hate sea breezes :(

My best snowstorm memories are actually the big ones like last January but also April snowstorms like 1982, 1996 and 2003.  I took a lot of pics in the April 2003 event too :) 

April 2014 we had a bit of snow mid-month.  Only a coating, but really nice.

Just now, JerseyWx said:

Yea that was about half an inch here.  One of the latest I've ever seen.  The other one was April 19-20, 1983.  Got 2" in that before it changed to rain.  That might have been a big storm in your area because I heard inland areas got over a foot.

I like April storms because you have a collision of two seasons, you can see the snow accumulating on your tulips and daffodils and it makes you realize that one season is passing the keys to the next.

I like April storms because you have a collision of two seasons, you can see the snow accumulating on your tulips and daffodils and it makes you realize that one season is passing the keys to the next.

Yep, exactly why I like it.  I love Spring flowers/vegetation covered with snow.  I like Spring frost as well.

3 minutes ago, JerseyWx said:

Yep, exactly why I like it.  I love Spring flowers/vegetation covered with snow.  I like Spring frost as well.

funny it sometimes happens all at the same time, our last frost is usually around the time as our last snow haha

funny it sometimes happens all at the same time, our last frost is usually around the time as our last snow haha

Absolutely, that has happened.  Nothing like a frosty April morning and then 70° later on.  Sweatshirt to t-shirt.  Love it.

Just now, JerseyWx said:

Absolutely, that has happened.  Nothing like a frosty April morning and then 70° later on.  Sweatshirt to t-shirt.  Love it.

yes, that's the passing of the torch.....sometimes you even see summer in April, like 2002 and 2010 when we were into the 90s!

Just now, snywx said:

My lord.. The euro is widespread 20-24" up this way 

You think this forum is bad but some in the NE forum act the same way.  I just saw this in there

"West tick and best dynamics further southwest... congrats Philly on this run"

Someone compared it to Boxing Day, which I guess is a storm some don't like there.

Just now, Paragon said:

You think this forum is bad but some in the NE forum act the same way.  I just saw this in there

"West tick and best dynamics further southwest... congrats Philly on this run"

Someone compared it to Boxing Day, which I guess is a storm some don't like there.

Jackpot is in SE Orange county. Amounts pushing 30"

Just now, snywx said:

Yeah the panic is hard to understand- although to be fair back in the 80s during our snow drought and when there was no internet, I listened to 880 and 1010 for my weather when a big weather event was looming and when they predicted 8 inches of snow and we got rain- I was throwing fits (and the radio) around the room and went through like 4 of 5 of them.  But I was like 14-16 back then.

11 minutes ago, snywx said:

Just saw the snow maps and you're right.  Also happy to see myself in the 20-26 inch range lol especially with the Euro now in its Killer range (inside 96 hrs or 4 days)

10 minutes ago, Paragon said:

Just saw the snow maps and you're right.  Also happy to see myself in the 20-26 inch range lol especially with the Euro now in its Killer range (inside 96 hrs or 4 days)

Pretty much everyone who post in our sub forum is game for 20"+ with the exception of E LI. Looks like mixing becomes an issue out there.

Just now, snywx said:

Pretty much everyone who post in our sub forum is game for 20"+ with the exception of E LI. Looks like mixing becomes an issue out there.

yeah and possibly some people in eastern new england so I imagine there would be more panic in there than should be in here- one would think lol.

Archived