joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
EPA/NJ/DE General Winter Discussions

ChescoWx

• Replies 985
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Next two weeks is make or break time to salvage something from winter. Not great but decent pattern and cold enough to snow most of the time during the time of year that is most conducive for flakes. Should at the very least score a couple inches and that would be worst case scenario everything goes wrong. Would be nice to score more than say one moderate size event and throw in a clipper or two but I won't be picky.

5 hours ago, RedSky said:

Next two weeks is make or break time to salvage something from winter. Not great but decent pattern and cold enough to snow most of the time during the time of year that is most conducive for flakes. Should at the very least score a couple inches and that would be worst case scenario everything goes wrong. Would be nice to score more than say one moderate size event and throw in a clipper or two but I won't be picky.

I echo this. Pattern looks 'ok'.....certainly isnt screaming HECS or anything but as u said, if we are going to end up near avg for the season, this next stretch thru mid Feb is crucial. We can still get there, it aint over yet.

8 hours ago, RedSky said:

Horrid new GFS run makes me want to run down the street screaming 80's winters

6Z even worse. Winter (did we even have one?) may be taking it's last gasp. Ensemble teleconnections did a 180 with little to nothing really favorable to show. Maybe some minor ridging trying to nose poleward but with a +NAO/-PNA/+EPO and the MJO in the COD, it's really a poor outlook if one is trying to salvage any hope of winter in the East. Let's hope it's a blip and it flips back as quickly as it did before, but we all know how it goes......when it's favorable it doesnt last, when it's an unfavorable flip it usually locks in. 

29 minutes ago, AnthonyDabbundo said:

Both GFS and CMC showing a primary to Pittsburgh before a transfer to the coast... with enough cold air around for a significant snow on the front end before a changeover.  

Euro keeps a weak low to our south, suppressed. 

I've never really been gung ho about this 'threat' window. See my other posts.....I think we are either headed cutter with a brief thump to rain (South of LV) or a track that is right under us which yields too much WAA and mid 30s/rain. Hope I'm wrong, just basing this on similar setups since October. 

7 hours ago, RedSky said:

and the ECM says GFS and CMC are crazy  no super bowl storm for you

18z gfs trending the wrong way as is cmc and others. Big hp settles over Tennessee Valley late week then as hp moves East the system moving in behind the departing hp has a nice Bermuda high-ish return flow to work with. But alas....other subforums are all-in for the new day 10 Euro threat! All the players appear to be on the field for that one......including Lucy. We got this!

1 hour ago, Ralph Wiggum said:

Im thinking about breaking down the snowblower for the season and doing a tuneup/overhaul. Maybe that's the key! Im certain as soon as I have the Craftsman in 100 pieces, a massive storm will surface on the models out of nowhere. 

I haven't even brought mine up from the basement 

i still like the super bowl threat. it's far from perfect, but still a pretty good set up for this time of the year. i suggest not living and dying with each model suite until thursday though. way too many things to be determined that just won't be hammered out until then. as I've said since last week, I think this upcoming period(feb 1-15th) will be our best chance to cash in with accumulating snow. also in regards to the long range, i've seen way too many winter cancel posts based off of one model run... the models are clearly struggling in the long range and it is way too early to determine whether or not winter is over after this stretch. they've literally flip flopped every run in the last few days. even the CFS has shown 8 different outcomes in it's last 8 runs. Still we have at least 2-3 solid threats for snow in the next 2 weeks. the mid week clipper could give us a minor event, the super bowl storm could bring us anything from a thump to rain, to ice, or even a solid snow storm..too early for those details, it's just good to see a storm on the horizon with some cold air around. obviously the closer we get, the better idea we'll have on how much of a threat it is. And after that the 8-9th time period is showing some potential as well for a significant event. Overall this is a much better pattern than what has occurred through winter thus far even if we don't cash in so I'm not really understanding the negativity. At least there is something to track unlike all of this winter save for 10 days in january where events were hammered out as rain 10 days in advance.

with all of the parts involved for this system, it's going to change with every model suite the next couple of days. important not to get too hyped or down on the threat until we get closer. probably won't get even close to a consensus until  thursday-friday. the main thing i'm looking at right now is that the gfs and euro showing hits both make sense synoptically, but as is the shortwave timing is perfect allowing us to get a decent snow. that will be important to watch going forward. i expect many changes from now until thursday. my gut right now says this will be a lehigh valley special with SEPA getting an advisory snow and possibly changing over.

5 hours ago, The Iceman said:

with all of the parts involved for this system, it's going to change with every model suite the next couple of days. important not to get too hyped or down on the threat until we get closer. probably won't get even close to a consensus until  thursday-friday. the main thing i'm looking at right now is that the gfs and euro showing hits both make sense synoptically, but as is the shortwave timing is perfect allowing us to get a decent snow. that will be important to watch going forward. i expect many changes from now until thursday. my gut right now says this will be a lehigh valley special with SEPA getting an advisory snow and possibly changing over.

Thats essentially been my thinking now for 3 or 4 days. Hoping trends reverse.

Archived