• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
And we begin

8 hours ago, NJwinter23 said:

Right just made a quick generalization for the point of the post. That blog goes into grave details, along with situations where the north pac high did not agree with the research. 

How is your forecast coming along this year Iso?

NJ, Yep - agreed. Definitely a fascinating hypothesis which has sufficient evidence to be useful in application (somewhat paradoxical/counter-intuitive as well, given the conventional wisdom regarding stratospheric westerly shear stress/decreased trop blocking).

To be honest, I'm not that optimistic [from the standpoint of Eastern cold/snow] right now, though we are still rather early. Conflicting signals regarding NAM/NAO. The stratospheric vortex is significantly weaker than this time last year; however, the question is: will background/exogenous factors permit the maintenance of a weakened vortex through the winter? I am concerned that we'll be combating some unfavorable Atl/Arctic signalling. Most options are still on the table for me, including another very warm winter (though probably not as warm as last winter - virtually impossible). The next 3-4 weeks will deliver important data, so I expect I'll have my winter forecast done by Nov 10 or so. I know last winter we had some good discussions re the stratosphere. I will likely be reassigning weights to various indicators, because some of them are not as reliable as many think (IMO). The SAI has lost some respect in my eyes. Last year, the strat perturbation/-AO anomalous pattern did work out for Jan, but backed off thereafter due to the powerhouse vortex. My guess is that if the Nino were less intense, we probably would have held stronger blocking through Feb with the first SSW attempt working.

How about you - what are your thoughts at this point? Are you planning on doing an outlook this year?

• Replies 69
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just to keep this thread on track...even if the interest in SAI has severely diminished in the last couple years:

October 14:

ims2016288.gif

October 15:

ims2016289.gif

October 16:

ims2016290.gif

October 17:

ims2016291.gif

October 18:

ims2016292.gif

Quite impressive gains in the last couple days - both north and south of 60N - with the potential for between now and the end of the month.

One thing I certainly have noticed as well, and was first pointed out to me by crankyweatherguy on twitter, is the fact that there is a large snowpack already building up in Canada AND advancing southward. We don't get sustained cold air without Canada having a solid snowpack. Something to keep in mind.

Who's lost interest in SAI? Not this guy. Last winter was so dominated by El Nino I didn't expect -AO to be an overriding factor for the entire winter, instead I figured on some wild swings as one or the other dominated, one of which could bring a big winter storm. This fall we have -AO with NAO to follow suit shortly, also +PNA, advancing snow cover S of 60 N in Siberia, and near record low Arctic ice cover. What's not to like so about potential for a colder and snowier than average winter, especially when flirting with a weak La Nina?

21 hours ago, Isotherm said:

NJ, Yep - agreed. Definitely a fascinating hypothesis which has sufficient evidence to be useful in application (somewhat paradoxical/counter-intuitive as well, given the conventional wisdom regarding stratospheric westerly shear stress/decreased trop blocking).

To be honest, I'm not that optimistic [from the standpoint of Eastern cold/snow] right now, though we are still rather early. Conflicting signals regarding NAM/NAO. The stratospheric vortex is significantly weaker than this time last year; however, the question is: will background/exogenous factors permit the maintenance of a weakened vortex through the winter? I am concerned that we'll be combating some unfavorable Atl/Arctic signalling. Most options are still on the table for me, including another very warm winter (though probably not as warm as last winter - virtually impossible). The next 3-4 weeks will deliver important data, so I expect I'll have my winter forecast done by Nov 10 or so. I know last winter we had some good discussions re the stratosphere. I will likely be reassigning weights to various indicators, because some of them are not as reliable as many think (IMO). The SAI has lost some respect in my eyes. Last year, the strat perturbation/-AO anomalous pattern did work out for Jan, but backed off thereafter due to the powerhouse vortex. My guess is that if the Nino were less intense, we probably would have held stronger blocking through Feb with the first SSW attempt working.

How about you - what are your thoughts at this point? Are you planning on doing an outlook this year?

Why??

On 10/19/2016 at 3:11 PM, billgwx said:

Who's lost interest in SAI? Not this guy. Last winter was so dominated by El Nino I didn't expect -AO to be an overriding factor for the entire winter, instead I figured on some wild swings as one or the other dominated, one of which could bring a big winter storm. This fall we have -AO with NAO to follow suit shortly, also +PNA, advancing snow cover S of 60 N in Siberia, and near record low Arctic ice cover. What's not to like so about potential for a colder and snowier than average winter, especially when flirting with a weak La Nina?

Cohen has taken his lumps in the past few years, so the SAI is no longer the "hot new thing" in terms of indices. This thread is indicative of what I perceive to be a lack of interest.

Since the 2011-2012 season, the replies in the "And we begin" threads have been:

• 11-12: 436
  • 12-13: 222
  • 13-14: 125
  • 14-15: 556
  • 15-16: 208
  • 16-17: 35 (through October 21)

I'm not trying to say that no one is interested, but rather that the interest is way down from years past, and I think that's a lot to do with "failures" of the SAI and people poking holes in the theory. Personally, I have no meteorological chops, so I find the SAI interesting because it's easy for me to follow and understand! :wacko:

Looking about as good as you can hope for from this indicator. This really should be a great season to evaluate if they SAI really only works well in neutral-ish ENSO conditions. Not only that, but if Cohen's forecast is right due to blocking or different factors.

On 10/19/2016 at 3:11 PM, billgwx said:

+2

9 hours ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

This up-coming cold season should be a true test of the correlation between SAI and NAO. If we aren't dominated by Atlantic blocking this winter, then I see no reason to call this index a useful tool for any future long-range winter forecasts.

I certainly agree. If there happens to be no -AO and/or no strong SSW that disrupts the polar vortex, then Cohen's theory definitely is misguided.

10 hours ago, CAD_Wedge_NC said:

This up-coming cold season should be a true test of the correlation between SAI and NAO. If we aren't dominated by Atlantic blocking this winter, then I see no reason to call this index a useful tool for any future long-range winter forecasts.

SAI correlates with the AO, not the NAO FWIW 

1 hour ago, 40/70 Benchmark said:

I would be suprised to see a postive NAO in the face of a strongly negative AO...there is about a .6 correlation...as you know.

Definitely agree, but I do think it's fair to point out that Cohen is trying to predict the AO and not the NAO. It can be very blocky in general and not perfect over the Atlantic...probably not a very warm patter but it could happen.

The numbers for Snow Cover Extent at the end of October are in at the Rutgers Global Snow Lab...finished 3rd behind 1976 and 2014, and is in a virtual tie with 2002. All of those following winters were severe in the East in one way other another: 1976-77 cold and huge lake effect snow, 2002-03 cold and constant snow including PD2, 2014-15 Long Island/New England and NYC "near hit" blizzard and Boston annual record snowfall. WOW. Now we factor in ENSO, QBO, etc. for further clues...

Archived