Newest Member
    joxey
E PA/NJ/DE fall general OBS and Discussion thread

The Iceman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
10 hours ago, stemwinder said:

The first katydid is yakking in the maple tree outside my condo tonight.  It's warming up, for the hot nights just ahead.  

Noticed the locusts have started their racket in the last day or two.    I take that as a sign that summer is passing it's peak though - at least according to climo.

8 minutes ago, Birds~69 said:

I'm always amazed at the amount of volume/noise these creatures make for their size. Even after watching a video it's still hard to believe.

Nice video,  I always loved catching cicadas when I was a kid.  I would do a catch and release, but after I would paint my initials on them.  Unfortunately, pesticides, new construction has had it's impact on their broods.  Late 60's - 70's there were so many of them,  fond memory of my childhood. 

By this time in July, around where I am, the summer cicadas would be making a racket.  Not so this year.  I think I heard one earlier, but this is quite late in the season.  OTOH, the night katydids seem on schedule, if the one I first heard last night is an indication.

yeah, pesticides may be affecting these critters.  

1 minute ago, stemwinder said:

By this time in July, around where I am, the summer cicadas would be making a racket by now.  Not so this year.  I think I heard one earlier, but this is quite late.  OTOH, the katydids seem on schedule, if the one I first heard last night is an indication.

yeah, pesticides may be affecting these critters.  

Same here...a little odd. I have been going out of my way listening. Nothing.

43 minutes ago, iceman56 said:

Hmmm, my family always called them locusts.   Now I see looking it up the difference.    Always thought that locusts were

considered grasshoppers in biblical references.

It's quite possible cicadas became confused with the term "locusts" when the 17 year old cicada broods emerged.  Every 17 years millions and millions of cicadas would emerge in early spring.  There would be so many of them it could be possible this is where the confusion occurred.  

Came across this in the daily summary for PHL yesterday and it has me confused - how do you get a +1 departure from

normal/average when the max/min were average?    Seems to skew temps above average when they weren't.

...THE PHILADELPHIA PA CLIMATE SUMMARY FOR JULY 20 2016...

CLIMATE NORMAL PERIOD 1981 TO 2010
CLIMATE RECORD PERIOD 1872 TO 2016

WEATHER ITEM   OBSERVED TIME   RECORD YEAR NORMAL DEPARTURE LAST
                           VALUE       (LST)    VALUE          VALUE       FROM      YEAR        

NORMAL
TEMPERATURE (F)
YESTERDAY
  MAXIMUM         87          408 PM  99     1930          87              0            95
  MINIMUM         70           449 AM  57    1890          70              0            81
  AVERAGE         79                                                   78              1            88

6 hours ago, iceman56 said:

Dunno, thought only us weenies used decimals, assumed NWS only uses rounded whole numbers.    In fact my Davis rounds the

decimals after the current day.

According to NWS data, they use decimals for average temps, but not max/min.  My Davis does save all temps with decimals, though.  Strange.  

Avg temps.png

Max temps.png

Had a high 87.8F today.  Down to 86.8F now.  

28 minutes ago, Rtd208 said:

Temps clearly overperformed by a few degrees here today and I think that may wind up being the theme over the next 4-5 days but we will see. Forecast was for temps to be in the upper 80's to around 90 but made it up to 93. 

Current temp 89/DP 61/RH 39%

Ch10 (NBC)...I think went down a degree or two each day (from yesterday) for the upcoming days. Ch6 always seemed to be a tad lower. It really doesn't matter either way though...it's going to be blazing overall.

15 minutes ago, Hurricane Agnes said:

'Cause it was gonna be hot!  That's why we used to call them "Hot Birds". :lol:

Guess so...they just sensed a scorching several days coming up. I actually like the sound and know Summer has pretty much hit it's peak or close. (Aug looks cooler) Shorter days now and the countdown to Fall/Football is good in my book...

Archived