Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Mar. 27-31 Severe Threats

• Replies 397
  • Created
  • Last Reply

NAM certainly looks interesting for east central IL into west central IN and points east Thursday afternoon. Lots of question marks w.r.t. ongoing convection/debris mucking things up, though if 18z 12km were a perfect prog, would appear to be a window in the early to mid afternoon to destabilize.

Don't need as much directional shear in this region to produce vs. Plains but this looks mostly speed shear (impressive at that) driven as has been mentioned by others. With this being said, there is some slight veering between the surface and 850 mb that could help in terms of tornado potential.

Farther north, even if slower NAM comes closest to verifying completely unidirectional winds from the sfc to jet level have me thinking maybe a wind threat from linear segments and marginally severe hail owing to the steep midlevel lapse rates.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Forgive my ignorance, but why isn't SSW 10m ideal? I thought it's good since we have WSW winds in the mid-level

Personally I'd rather have westerly or wnw mid level flow if we're going to have SSW low level flow...to really increase the tornado threat beyond something localized/isolated. SSW may be workable for some tornadoes but I wouldn't call it "ideal."

Personally I'd rather have westerly or wnw mid level flow if we're going to have SSW low level flow...to really increase the tornado threat beyond something localized/isolated. SSW may be workable for some tornadoes but I wouldn't call it "ideal."

Agreed. Also the NAM is closest to due south whereas the other guidance is closer to southwest, so there's uncertainty on how much low level veering there will be. It is possible that isallobaric response could keep winds closer to south though.

Yeah, I didn't mean to suggest SSW is ideal given the circumstances. Bad wording on my part. The vertical shear profile isn't great, but it's also not as bad as it could be; I think it's sufficient.

This setup somewhat reminds me of the 11/16 setup out in the Plains. Shear was strong, instability was rather moderate, and SRH was low-end moderate... even weaker than this setup. That turned out to be quite the interesting event. 18z NAM's wind profile beats that in every way. Along the Illinois/Indiana border, there's 200-230 0-3km SRH and 80-90 kt 0-6km shear.

But obviously instability is still in question for the next 2 days. That's definitely the deal maker or breaker.

Any thoughts on what the SPC is gonna do?

Would think they may extend the slight at least to the Ohio River in the D2, maybe add an enhanced further south given the better agreement from the GFS now on solid destabilization with strong vertical shear. That exit region of the upper jet over that region is concerning as it may lead to a secondary low developing within the surface trough extending southwestward. This would increase LLJ strength down there significantly and likely back the surface winds.

I think there's a pretty good chance of the slight risk being extended north of the OH River.  They'd have to be 100% all in with the GFS to not do it and even then you could argue that the GFS may be good enough for a slight risk north of the river.  imo an equal if not bigger issue is how far west to put it as the NAM would easily support a severe threat in about the eastern 1/2 of Illinois.

I think there's a pretty good chance of the slight risk being extended north of the OH River. They'd have to be 100% all in with the GFS to not do it and even then you could argue that the GFS may be good enough for a slight risk north of the river. imo an equal if not bigger issue is how far west to put it as the NAM would easily support a severe threat in about the eastern 1/2 of Illinois.

I'd bring the slight all the way into southern lower Michigan at this point, all models bust out convection and have decent instability in a strongly sheared environment.

..OH VALLEY TO SRN UPPER GREAT LAKES REGION  

SVR REGIME ACROSS THIS AREA WILL BE CHARACTERIZED BY COLDER AIR  

ALOFT THAN OVER DIXIE...BUT WEAKER LOW-LEVEL THETAE AND NARROWER  

WARM SECTOR SHIFTING EWD AHEAD OF AFTN/NEAR-FRONTAL DEVELOPMENT.  

SVR POTENTIAL MAY BE WINDING DOWN EARLY IN PERIOD WITH MORNING TSTMS  

MOVING NEWD FROM END OF DAY 1 OUTLOOK AREA. BEHIND  

THOSE...CONSIDERABLE UNCERTAINTIES REMAIN REGARDING BOTH DIABATIC  

BOUNDARY-LAYER DESTABILIZATION AND POTENTIAL TRAJECTORIES FOR  

ADVECTION OF RELATIVELY STABLE AIR OUT OF OUTFLOW FROM COMPLEXES  

FARTHER S.  

KINEMATIC ENVIRONMENT WILL FAVOR ALL SVR MODES...INCLUDING  

TORNADOES. DEEP SHEAR AND LOW-LEVEL HODOGRAPHS EACH SHOULD ENLARGE  

WITH APCH OF EJECTING MID/UPPER-LEVEL PERTURBATION...AND MOST  

AGGRESSIVE FCST SOUNDINGS SUGGEST ENOUGH DIURNAL HEATING TO BOOST  

MLCAPE TO 100-1500 J/KG RANGE. AS SUCH...UNCONDITIONAL 15%/SLGT  

PROBABILITIES ARE EXTENDED NWD FOR NOW...AND FURTHER  

EXPANSION/INCREASE MAY BE NEEDED DEPENDING ON WIDTH/STRENGTH OF  

WARM-SECTOR RECOVERY.

Honestly surprised by the cut off on the Day 2 outlook for the Slight Risk.

I understand why they did it, as they do think there will be a significant squall line across the mid south tomorrow night. They are waiting another model cycle to see if the model trends do hold though, if they do then the risk will move further north.

Archived