• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snow/Ice obs for spring wintery event (Wed-Thur Nite)

N. OF PIKE

• Replies 134
  • Created
  • Last Reply

we poached yesterday top of the mountain but non existant. It has snowed everyday I am here. Hotub pool call. What a treat to have skiing like this amidst the disaster.

Awesome man...enjoy it. I'm jelly....didn't make it up to SR this season. I did get Telluride which was sick...but I have a nostalgia for SR that I missed this season.

You picked one of the better weeks all winter, lol.

Shows that even in a sh** season, you can still find some great runs and mak a vacation week out of it.

Those forecasts always give me a chuckle. Even the times we break out down here alot of their viewing area never does. Just like flurries north of the notch, meanwhile Pittsburg will be pulling 6-10.

I feel like we'd have a similar issue here but luckily the mountains being only 15 miles away from BTV makes for much more accurate forecasts for the mountains and various micro-climates...so the BTV news stations can't just broad-brush it and forget about it, haha.

Ha, well now we are back to where we started before the FROPA passage.

33F now after a spike to 47F and holding all day at 29-34F. 

Still cracks me up that the cold fronts in this situation always act like warm fronts, and then you cool back down to where you originally were.

<rant>

Upon further review, it appears my own office was guilty of rip and reading.

Now busts happen from time to time, and shallow cold air damming is certainly one of those times, but the day shift seems to have carried the exact same max temps from the mid shift all the way through the afternoon package. That meant ASH was still forecast for a high of 64 as of 310 PM. Actual temp at ASH at 3 PM? 38!

I come in at 10 PM and the high temp for the day (grid ends at 01z) was still 50 for PSM (actual 39).

I mean what did we actually do here at work today?

</rant>

Yeah this one was classic. I remember thinking a few days ago that is looked like a classic CAD event and models seemed way too bullish on the warm front moving north. But even the NAM which is usually good at CAD was bullish. Still, some mesos did seem more conservative with colder air. Wx2fish did a nice job in the BOS TAF keeping LIFR, but the cigs still persisted longer than we thought. I will saw HRRR did a nice

Job hinting at this during the morning.

Yeah this one was classic. I remember thinking a few days ago that is looked like a classic CAD event and models seemed way too bullish on the warm front moving north. But even the NAM which is usually good at CAD was bullish. Still, some mesos did seem more conservative with colder air. Wx2fish did a nice job in the BOS TAF keeping LIFR, but the cigs still persisted longer than we thought. I will saw HRRR did a nice

Job hinting at this during the morning.

Yeah, it's not like models didn't show this potential. I mean I ran through the archived bufkit soundings and saw they only mixed MHT to 49 today (not the 63 we had going at 3 PM). 

It is worrisome how much we rely on guidance sometimes. This should have been a pretty easy pattern recognition situation. I mean our SOO shared an AWIPS image of 1000 mb geostropic winds. Ripping at 40-50 knots from the N. Sorry warm front isn't getting to Eek with flow like that. 

Archived