Newest Member
    joxey
March 15/16 Severe Wx

kystormspotter

• Replies 649
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, pretty substantially actually.

ECMWF solution gives reason for pause but I think there'd be even bigger cause for alarm regarding meager sfc dews if we had a big surface high to the east.

Good point there. No strong sfc high to speak of to the east, drier air probably due to poor airmass after first low pressure passes by and maybe drier/low dewpoint low level air over the Great Lakes in general. If ECMWF comes in with increased moisture and instability tonight, time to start getting more concerned.

Ride the euro, duh

The Euro has shown very poor continuity with this system honestly. The run last night probably would be a rather robust event with just a tad more deep layer moisture. It keeps flipping between faster and slower in terms of the occlusion of the upper level trough as well. Usually there wouldn't be that much reason to doubt it, but that's not necessarily the case here. This is a period of relatively low pattern predictability in the mid range.

Initial look at 00z NAM looks pretty good.

Wow that is a large area of 2000+ SBCAPE at 21z. Shear really ramps up by 00z and puts most of IN under quite a significant risk. Pulled a sounding near IND for sh*ts and giggles and it had 6 matches for sig-tor producing supercells from SHARPpy.

Wow that is a large area of 2000+ SBCAPE at 21z. Shear really ramps up by 00z and puts most of IN under quite a significant risk. Pulled a sounding near IND for sh*ts and giggles and it had 6 matches for sig-tor producing supercells from SHARPpy.

Dew points and lifted index increased as well....

post-14488-0-66670500-1457837704_thumb.p

From my untrained eye....it looks like there is going to be a cap in place. No doubt there are some impressive parameters showing up, but soundings from chicago to in/ky border show a cap in place just above the surface.

Asking the mets here....with the low level cap...storms would have trouble becoming surfaced base and thus a lower tornado threat?

From my untrained eye....it looks like there is going to be a cap in place. No doubt there are some impressive parameters showing up, but soundings from chicago to in/ky border show a cap in place just above the surface. 

Asking the mets here....with the low level cap...storms would have trouble becoming surfaced base and thus a lower tornado threat? 

Cap where, I see no cap from Chicago to KY/IN/IL border especially at 72 hours.

right above the surface?

If that is not a cap...please forgive me...im mainly here to learn

A capping inversion would have relatively higher temperatures around 850mb, and cooler air closer to the ground.

right above the surface? 

If that is not a cap...please forgive me...im mainly here to learn 

Yeah that isn't a cap, that is just a remnant warmer layer aloft. As Hoosier noted though there is a bit of CINH due to the surface cooling nocturnally. I do question if we will cool as quickly with the amount of advection from the south into the region due to the strong wind fields.

Yeah that isn't a cap, that is just a remnant warmer layer aloft. As Hoosier noted though there is a bit of CINH due to the surface cooling nocturnally. I do question if we will cool as quickly with the amount of advection from the south into the region due to the strong wind fields.

Thanks for clearing that up. How does a little bit of CINH at the surface affect storms? 

i see this map posted a lot during summer - can you guys explain this? Reason I ask is because I've never seen it verify - it always looks much stronger than the actual outcome?

It takes a bunch of analogs and plots the reports from those analogs, so it's almost always going to look worse than what happens.

Thanks for clearing that up. How does a little bit of CINH at the surface affect storms?

A small amount of CINH isn't a big deal, but if the number gets really large (say north of 50 or even bigger), then it's a more hostile situation for surface based storms.

Not sure how significant this will end up being but based on tonight's runs, I think there would at least be a window for tornadic cells in the IL/IN area.  Shear vectors look pretty favorable with respect to the front.  Curious to see if the ECMWF will get a little more favorable.

Not sure how significant this will end up being but based on tonight's runs, I think there would at least be a window for tornadic cells in the IL/IN area.  Shear vectors look pretty favorable with respect to the front.  Curious to see if the ECMWF will get a little more favorable.

Agreed from the looks of it, supercells ahead of a squall line look's probable based on the NAM and the GFS.

Archived