CHSVol
    Newest Member
    CHSVol
March 6th-8th Severe Potential

andyhb

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That triple point setup E of the Caprock tomorrow is looking quite interesting on the higher res models, with some very steep mid level lapse rates (H5 temps of nearly -20˚C) leading to SB/MLCAPE approaching 3000 J/kg there through the later afternoon. Very strongly backed near surface flow veering to SSW at 700 mb should lead to enough low level shear to cause an issue. If we don't see a huge amount of convective overturning through the night into tomorrow morning, this may be a rather volatile spot later on (and more friendly for chasers perhaps).

The HRRR suggests a substantial severe weather risk will develop from the D/FW Metroplex southwest to Stephenville this afternoon. We'll have to watch trends but the CAPE values are extremely high for early March. The HRRR has them on the order of 4,000 J/Kg!

12800385_10154119491192384_8448917734598

Was just going to mention this, a change from last nights run. Seems to show an outflow laying down just north of metroplex, something FWD mentioned the RAP was showing.

A relatively large 10% hatched tornado area at that... No mention of strong tornadoes in the discussion though. Oddly, the ENH category on the D1SWO does not match up with the 30% wind/10% tornado probabilities it seems. day1probotlk_1300_torn.gif?1457443150216

There's no warning for you right now, but I'd keep an eye out if I were you. Some storms to the west and south.

Definitely have my eyes open.

How odd that I got that message, though. After further investigating, it seems there was a warning on the Lampassas storm which because it was headed to Killeen, I got the warning?  I'm not sure. 

Definitely have my eyes open.

How odd that I got that message, though. After further investigating, it seems there was a warning on the Lampassas storm which because it was headed to Killeen, I got the warning?  I'm not sure. 

your phone must go by county warning area itself. but that storm that was near Lampasas earlier is now back to a severe thunderstorm warning for Gatesville, with Waco wanting to keep an eye on that one.

as for the new warned cell that monsoonman just told you about,that one is the one that was showing hail earlier near Liberty Hill and Lago Vista. that storm is ~25 miles SW of downtown Temple. but the new severe t-storm warning you just got is for that whole cluster of storms, from Georgetown to the west end of Ft Hood. Gusts nearing 60+ and downpours likely (~1.5"/hr via radar), all moving NE at 35.

your phone must go by county warning area itself. but that storm that was near Lampasas earlier is now back to a severe thunderstorm warning for Gatesville, with Waco wanting to keep an eye on that one.

as for the new warned cell that monsoonman just told you about,that one is the one that was showing hail earlier near Liberty Hill and Lago Vista. that storm is ~25 miles SW of downtown Temple. but the new severe t-storm warning you just got is for that whole cluster of storms, from Georgetown to the west end of Ft Hood. Gusts nearing 60+ and downpours likely (~1.5"/hr via radar), all moving NE at 35.

Thanks, Jim!  Having lived in Norman OK for awhile, I was a little freaked out, especially not having my daughter here with me.

I'm watching it all unfold.  It's pretty nasty outside, with the worst to come.  Let's just hope it stays severe!  Glad the rotation is gone. 

Thanks, Jim!  Having lived in Norman OK for awhile, I was a little freaked out, especially not having my daughter here with me.

I'm watching it all unfold.  It's pretty nasty outside, with the worst to come.  Let's just hope it stays severe!  Glad the rotation is gone. 

Gatesville storm, yea the rotation is gone. the storm near Jarrell moving towards Belton, still got it.

post-2758-0-41122100-1457451220_thumb.pn

Archived