SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
March 6th-8th Severe Potential

andyhb

• Replies 150
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What are your thoughts for Tuesday's threat? So much difference in the 4km and 12km NAM especially.

I think tomorrow is confined mainly to South Texas with the main threat being large hail due to the anomalously cold tropospheric temperatures and decent lift. The ECMWF really highlighted the potential for some supecells crossing the Mex Tex border before congealing into an MCS over Central Texas.

We'll need to see what things look like tomorrow morning once tonight's convection moves through, but I don't expect Tuesday to feature a substantial tornado threat. 

However, I could see an Eagle Pass 2007 type situation where a monster cell crosses the border and poses a decent nocturnal tornado risk to a very local area.

4afe1964506f0241971ff4f9d8b5b06b.png

9a464b5184634da8f4b50bc10314a87b.jpg

What about up along the Red River in Southern OK/North TX where the 12km NAM has some nice parameters?18_NAM_030_34.1,-96.01_severe_ml.png

I think tomorrow is confined mainly to South Texas with the main threat being large hail due to the anomalously cold tropospheric temperatures and decent lift. The ECMWF really highlighted the potential for some supecells crossing the Mex Tex border before congealing into an MCS over Central Texas.

We'll need to see what things look like tomorrow morning once tonight's convection moves through, but I don't expect Tuesday to feature a substantial tornado threat. 

However, I could see an Eagle Pass 2007 type situation where a monster cell crosses the border and poses a decent nocturnal tornado risk to a very local area.

4afe1964506f0241971ff4f9d8b5b06b.png

9a464b5184634da8f4b50bc10314a87b.jpg

DFW has a good AFD

TUESDAY...IS OUR MAIN DAY IN QUESTION REGARDING THE FORECAST AS IT
COULD VERY WELL BE MOSTLY QUIET OR RATHER ACTIVE. IT IS APPEARING
MORE LIKELY THAT WE WILL HAVE A SIGNIFICANT LULL IN THE ACTIVITY
DURING THE DAY TUESDAY...SO POPS WILL BE CONSIDERABLY LOWER. THE
FIRST OF SEVERAL MAIN AREAS OF ASCENT PULLS OFF TO THE NORTHEAST
AND DRIER AIR ALOFT DOES MOVE IN FROM THE WEST. AT THE SURFACE...A
DRYLINE WILL ADVANCE INTO OUR WESTERN COUNTIES...WEST OF I-35. IT
IS IMPORTANT TO NOTE THOUGH THAT THERE WILL BE A DEEP MOIST
BOUNDARY LAYER IN PLACE EAST OF THE DRYLINE. FORECAST SOUNDINGS
SUGGEST THAT A RATHER UNPERTURBED UNSTABLE AIRMASS WILL BE IN
PLACE ACROSS MOST OF THE AREA. IT SHOULD ALSO BE VERY WEAKLY
CAPPED. THIS SEEMS VERY FAVORABLE FOR A SIGNIFICANT SEVERE
THREAT...ALTHOUGH WIND PROFILES BACK WEAKLY IN THE MID LEVELS
LIKELY INDICATING SOME WEAK SUBSIDENCE IN THE WAKE OF THE EARLY
MORNING ACTIVITY. IF THIS IS IN FACT THE CASE...THEN IT MAY BE A
QUIET DAY...ALTHOUGH HUMID AND WARM. IF THE SUBSIDENCE DOES NOT
EXIST AND WE HAVE ANY LIFT AT ALL...THEN SURFACE BASED CONVECTION
COULD DEVELOP AND BECOME SEVERE WITH ALL MODES OF SEVERE WEATHER
POSSIBLE. UNFORTUNATELY...WE WILL LIKELY HAVE TO WAIT TO SEE WHAT
IMPACT THE OVERNIGHT CONVECTION HAS ON THE AIRMASS AND POSSIBLY
ANY DATA FROM 12 OR 18Z SOUNDINGS TOMORROW CAN OFFER. FOR NOW...WE
WILL SIDE WITH LOWER OVERALL POPS AND MONITOR THE THREAT CLOSELY.
POPS WILL REMAIN HIGH IN A SMALL CORRIDOR ACROSS OUR FAR EASTERN
COUNTIES WHERE WARM ADVECTION STREAMER SHOWERS ARE LIKELY TO
CONTINUE.

Where at? I haven't had a chance to check yet.

East Texas... specifically the area between the outflow boundary and the Gulf. Looks like supercells form on the tail of the MCS, also some supercells forming south of it. As you can see, the area west of that is still primed for severe storms... that may pop later.

67YNMAd.png

EOHP0Au.png

East Texas... specifically the area between the outflow boundary and the Gulf. Looks like supercells form on the tail of the MCS, also some supercells forming south of it. As you can see, the area west of that is still primed for severe storms... that may pop later.

67YNMAd.png

EOHP0Au.png

Yuk, that is the squall line the HRRR keeps generating that it pushes through DFW in the morning. If that pans out, one word subsidence back west and nothing in the afternoon. Hoping it doesn't materialize honestly.

Yuk, that is the squall line the HRRR keeps generating that it pushes through DFW in the morning. If that pans out, one word subsidence back west and nothing in the afternoon. Hoping it doesn't materialize honestly.

I don't think DFW is gonna get much action tomorrow. That MCS is going to ruin the atmosphere. Maybe some thunder, strong winds at best, from an MCS that forms overnight

I don't think DFW is gonna get much action tomorrow. That MCS is going to ruin the atmosphere. Maybe some thunder, strong winds at best, from an MCS that forms overnight

That is why I am hoping the model is wrong, I would prefer the chance at better action in the afternoon than a dying MCS.

Archived