joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February 2016 Obs

Isopycnic

• Replies 195
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Western Douglas County has been getting just brisk winds and loud roaring gusts all morning, and nary a break in the layer of low clouds zooming by.

Last night's activity had weakened to a disorganized well-below-SVR by the time it started hitting here, thankfully

yep..once again the wedge destroyed any chance for severe here. As much as i love cad, it can be frustrating when it  eats up severe thunderstorms.

That said, did end up getting quite high winds at one point last night. There was a band of moderate to heavy rain moving through around 3am and as the end of the rain approached winds suddenly went from 5 to 6mph out of the east to east-southeast and sustained 25 to 30mph for about a half hour with quite a few gusts above 40 with a top gust of 45mph. It was so loud it woke me up..sure made a mess too..blew stuff all over the place. It was interesting in the fact though you could track it as it went across north ga...from atlanta to gainesville, athens, etc..as observations showed  winds suddenly jumped into the 20 to 30mph range with higher gusts as this area of rain moved from west to east. Then they weakened considerably shortly there after as the rain pulled away, just like they did here.

Reminded me quite a bit of the freakish high wind event here last year when south carolina had that huge rainfall event.  Had sustained winds in the 35 to 45mph range with gusts as high as 63mph here. (no doubt it was higher at tree top level though..it was down right insane watching it.)  What stood out was the fact that the edge of the precip shield was just east of here and  each time the edge of the precip got a little closer there was a dramatic increase in winds and when it retreated  back east they decreased dramatically as well...and this happened at least 4 or 5 times. The winds  blew down numerous trees around here and caused quite a lot of power outages across a 2 or 3 county area..including here. It was one of the coolest wind events i've ever seen because it didn't involve any thunderstorms or frontal passage so it was completely unexpected.

As for today, Had a top gust today of 38mph. Pretty rare to see gsp issue a high wind warning outside the mountains..mentioning gusts to 55mph..pretty damn impressive. i see anderson had a gust to 46mph. 

Not sure of how much rain I got yet because all the PWS are offline.  Power just came back on after being out since lunch.  Lot's of limbs down.  A few sections of the wooden fence are flopped over now and the wind also ripped the screws out of a trellis and blew it out.

Edit: 1.83" total and the wind is really starting to pick back up again.  Power went out again for a few seconds and now the cable is out.  Flag pole got ripped out of the house as well.

.65" yesterday, 5.90" for the month...and that should be all for Feb.

Lots of little debris branches and pine tips in the yard - mostly that broke off in the ice storm a month ago and were just hung up in the treetops. One dead pine back in the woods leaning precariously against another pine.

Archived