joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
January 22-24th Blizzard Observation and Snow Reports

The Iceman

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah, it's snowing almost as hard as it was last night at the peak, using the house across the street "yardstick", which is 500 feet from here. I can still see it but barely. Gonna go shovel a bit then take some measurements.

Same.  I'd say visibility is no more than 500 ft, maybe less.  

That being said, I think I am pushing close to 20" and hope to get to two feet.  

An additional 1.5" in the last 20 minutes under the death band. Sitting just over 29" and still snowing to beat the band!

Ralph I'm not that far from you in Abington this must be 3 to 4 inch an hour rates don't you think?

Easily!

I'm just about 1.75" more from this being the largest snowstorm I've ever personally witnessed. Gonna be close. Amazing storm.

When The death band started the excitement in the house just went through the roof!!!!!

Did two snowblower passes on the driveway. First pass this morning depth was 16". Second pass just finshed had 9.5"

So 25.5" would be my best estimate of snowfall. Depth is around 23.5"

Identical Here... 16 inches on the first snow blower pass at noon and another 10 just measured... was coming on to see if that was close to correct.... too funny

:-)

Yes, this will exceed PD II (or is it III - I'm talking about 2003).   Also exceeds 83, but will not exceed 96, unless this death band we are under now can go all night!   :snowing:

It's really hard to estimate accumulations.  I'm assuming its about 22-23 inches.....and at my age, I cannot be walking through 2 ft of snow after I have spent 90 minutes snow blowing.

Yes, this will exceed PD II (or is it III - I'm talking about 2003).   Also exceeds 83, but will not exceed 96, unless this death band we are under now can go all night!   :snowing:

It's really hard to estimate accumulations.  I'm assuming its about 22-23 inches.....and at my age, I cannot be walking through 2 ft of snow after I have spent 90 minutes snow blowing.

This is too true I been struggling with this all day. The 100' trees that encircle 80% of my property knock down accumulations with the 25-35mph winds and are messing with my measurements, I already walked to a close by field and proved there is a 4" greater depth there. Also I get next to zero drifting which is a bummer the old property drifted great. 

Funny it's a different world a few blocks up the street in the open it was a blinding blizzard. I measured 25" in 96 but I only measured total depth back then so it should have been higher.

Not saying anyone is complaining, but no one can have any complaints when even yesterday pre-storm it wasn't certain that we would even reach 18", never mind exceed it in many places.

Right?!?! unless you are way south of our area I don't think there is any way this storm under performed... unless you were dead set of early NAM runs... but even than a lot of the numbers being talked about are pretty close to the NAM!

Finally under that deathband!  Puking snow and near-whiteout with visibility maybe a hundred yards?  And It took how long? :whistle:

But it made it. :snowing:

Just saw a Washington Post breaking banner that claimed that "blizzard conditions" finally reached D.C.

Up here in Berks earlier today that was my guestimate on visibility also.  Glad it got to you, now look out and enjoy it! :)

Archived