• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Wow. Snow Climatology for GSP sure has changed

UpStateCAD

I noticed a link titled "New Climatology Maps - Western Carolinas and Northeast Georgia" at the home page for GSP NOAA site.

Here is the annual snowfall map based on the last 30 years.  Wow I have always felt we have been well below the published 6 inches per year that was thrown around in the late 80's and early 90's when I moved here, but really did not realize how dismal it had become for the upstate.

http://www.weather.gov/images/gsp/climate/precip/AnnualSnowfall.png

it really is amazing the giant hole that exist in the NW corner. It really is almost like the nuclear plant creates a giant no-snow zone.

There really is no other way to explain it.

Just look at NW Greenville County, All of Pickens County and Eastern Oconee County.

That's indicative of the thermal belt and sw/ly favored llvl warm noses. 

C'mon guys... Ya'll know this map is way off for a lot of locations. Just do some simple math in your head. They are showing a 2/10th of an inch average for Elberton,GA and I can think of at least 2 snows greater than 6 inches that they have gotten in the last 20 years. Many more 2-4 type events. Same for Pickens and especially the Charlotte area.

C'mon guys... Ya'll know this map is way off for a lot of locations. Just do some simple math in your head. They are showing a 2/10th of an inch average for Elberton,GA and I can think of at least 2 snows greater than 6 inches that they have gotten in the last 20 years. Many more 2-4 type events. Same for Pickens and especially the Charlotte area.

Yeah it seems low in some areas, but it's not. The 30-year avgs of surrounding sites corroborate the values.  

Yeah it seems low in some areas, but it's not. The 30-year avgs of surrounding sites corroborate the values.  

Sorry, but I'm not buying it. I know for a fact that Pickens County airport's 30 year average would be at least 3 inches per year, and this map is showing .8 inches? I can go add up all the events if you'd like.

It's not just Pickens, most of the sites represented on this map from GA/SC is grossly under done.

I don't know where GSP pulled this data from, but it's not complete.

This data is from ThreadX compiled and qc'd by NCDC, not GSP. Yearly totals are adjusted once more complete areal data becomes available.  

Ok, I don't mean to single you out, but I'm not sure what the point was releasing this graphic then. Regardless of who compiled the data, it's way off and it seems like any seasoned NWS employee would notice this at first glance.  I commented on the graphic as soon as nws_gsp posted it on their facebook timeline.

I suppose it's possible that many NWS team members haven't lived in the area for 10 or 20+ years, so it's understandable to a degree.

Did some research using http://climate.ncsu.edu/ winter weather database along with my verified measurements the past 10 years. I did find incomplete information for winters of 1990-91 and 1991-92 so i just counted them as snowless winters for my location (Marion, NC).

This is what i came up with...

1986-87- 31                                 

1987-88- 8

1988-89- 4

1989-90- 3

1990-91- 0

1991-92- 0

1992-93- 18

1993-94- 10

1994-95- 0

1995-96- 23

1996-97- 4

1997-98- 11.5

1998-99- 3.5

1999-2000- 11

00-01- 5.5

01-02- 1

02-03- 23

03-04- 18

04-05- 1

05-06- T

06-07- .5

07-08- 3.5

08-09- 1.5

09-10- 29.2

10-11- 19

11-12- 0

12-13- 0 

13-14- 11

14-15- 8

Total Snowfall= 248.2 inches/30 years= 8.27 inches of snow per year, compared to 5.6 on the map.

Some interesting trends- snowless or below average winters breed below average winters (04/05-05/06, 11/12-12/13) and above average winters breed above average winters. (02/03-03/04, 09/10-10/11)

09/10 and 10/11 was the snowiest 2 year period for Marion in the past 30 years. 

I posted about this in the mtn thread yesterday. Some of these totals seemed too low.

I'll just echo what the others have said about incomplete data.  There simply aren't enough official measurement stations around in the SE, generally speaking, especially as you get into the foothills of the Apps where population is thinner (aside from the "big" ski towns and a few official mountaintop stations).

It's particularly obvious in North Georgia, where the only real station that gets highly monitored is Hartsfield south of the city.  The foothills and mountains get a lot of snow that is either mismeasured or simply not recorded at all.

I envy the NC people because NCSU produces and maintains a ton of climatological data that nobody produces for this area.  You guys have benefit of a lot more than just NWS resources for historical weather data, in other words.  Down here, if it didn't happen at Hartsfield, it didn't happen.

Archived